Arnie897

y=mx+b
Reaction score
City, State
Battle Creek, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Dodge Powerwagon
It all started a long time ago.

Whenever I hit the express-way and tried to keep up with the 75mph traffic the Explorer would run extremely hot. It never overheated but it was at the upper level of the temp range. The same would happen but worse when I was towing my trailer around.

On my way back from the Badlands the thing just kept climbing so I rode home with the heat on for 4hrs and it would maintain the "normal" temperature. I stopped at the gas station to try and figure things out and the only thing I could visually see wrong was that the clutch fan would not engage. I knew this because the temp was really hot and I could still spin it freely.

I decided to swap in an Eletric fan but that did not solve my problem. It seems that whenever the RPM's are up for an extended period of time it runs too hot.

The Thermostat and antifreeze were both changed in the past 15k miles.

Pulled the E-fan back out because that didn't fix the problem, so now I have no fan in the Explorer and I need to fix it tomorrow....where do I start?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So should I put the E fan back in and change the Tstat?

True. I'm tempted to get a new clutch fan and put that back in also to try and narrow down the problems that a "stock" explorer may have.

I invested a whopping $50 for the E fan, junkyard style.

You really think it's the Thermostat?

I have no profesional clue :D but to me it sounds like it may not be opeing all the way and trapping the warm coolant inside the block......but if your fan is not running then that would cause some problems too

Either way I'm pissed. :mad: I have to tow that trailer to Grand Rapids tomorrow to visit my parents and I have to fix the thing sometime during the day. I blew my money on the badlands so I'm selling Kidney's to fix it this time. :confused:

try your radiator cap. Its a deadly killer

Boomin....that is one sexy Explorer. I'll try the cap and the T-stat tomorrow first thing. Should I try flushing the fluid tomorrow too? If so should it be prior to, or after the t-stat swap?

Well since I don't have a water supply outside I'm going to have to take it to my friend at the oil change shop. So before the t-stat then.....or take it out and then take it to the shop? :confused:

I've got my money on the t-stat, flush or not. It's got all the symptoms, and the t'stat cures it 99% of the time.

Pay the extra dough for the OEM Ford part (around $30). I've heard too many short-lives aftermarket problems for the SOHC.... No idea why, but I know the OEM one works well.

-Joe

Thanks for the compliment man its really earitating me at this moment though. Waterpump took a **** and I wanted to buy fenders so that is on the back burner for now. Thermosatat and radiator cap are small little preventitive maintnace things that will save BIG in the long run.

Arnie897 said:
I blew my money on the badlands so I'm selling Kidney's to fix it this time. :confused:

Hope your getting paid a lot. I have my moms and even free from her they are expensive. :D ;)

Arnie897 said:
I blew my money on the badlands so I'm selling Kidney's to fix it this time. :confused:

whats the going exchange rate for them? I need perrys and gears

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have an extra one. It is illegal in this country to sell one though. The surgeries and hospital stays for both of us was around 60k 5 years ago,I think.

Back