She's HOT | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

She's HOT

allright, first off you will never get an E fan to cool an off road explorer with a OHV 4.0L in it, it just desnt work well enough with the stock radiator, it may run fine on the street, but hit the trail and it will heat up.

When you get a new clutch count he number of blades on your nylon fan, if there are 11 you are good to go. The fan should not have any cracks in it, if it does a new fan from Ford is like $35

Thermostat, you dont need to flush the fluid now since you did it recently, you will lose a little bit when you pop the thermostat housing, you will want to get a new thermostat, stock is 195, I like 180 personally but in a properly working cooling system 195 works fine. The spring goes towards the engine and the weep hole goes pointing up.

A new radiator cap is never a bad idea.

You need to burp the system properly to ensure you release all the air when you replace the thermostat.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I remember correctly, he's got a SOHC, but I could be wrong.....

The t-stat can only fit the housing one way, and it's horizontal, not vertical, so the positioning of the t-stat in the housing makes no difference.

How can an electric fan that moves a larger volume of air than the OEM fan at idle NOT cool the system as well as the OEM fan? That makes no sense whatsoever.

-Joe

Regardless at 75 mph the fan shouldnt be doing anything. Im thinking thermostat too.

It's an OHV.

So far today...

Pulled the E-Fan and put the old fan in with a new fan clutch, the fan itself looks to be in good shape other than a bit of road grime.

T-stat is in and I lost quite a bit of fluid on the change so I'm just going to call that my flush. New radiator cap with a vent valve is on also.

The problems appear to be gone, but it is 10 degrees cooler outside today than it was yesterday and I have yet to hook up my trailer and take it for a test run. I beat the crap out of it on the expressway a bit and it didn't heat up so it's looking good.

BTW I have no idea what the going rate on a kidney is but I'm sure someone on eBay would bit enough to cover the $65 in parts I spent today.

Thanks for the help everyone! :D

-Joe, hey tell me about it, makes no sense but I am not aware of anyone with an electric fan on an OHV 4.0L that cools the truck while low range 4x4ing with large tires. Rick tried, I tried, many others have tried, I thought I had it with a 16" fan and sure enough when I got on the trail the heat would steady climb.

Now the SOHC is a different story, as far as the fitment of the thermostat, its in that plastic housing and you are correct can only fit one way.

Now I am sure somebody will chime in and say they have an e fan that cools there truck just fine, and I believe them, but I am just stating what I have found and what the popular opinion of this board is.

Hell I wish it would have worked, the OHV screamed with no fan on it....

Yeah....I tried the dual fans off a Windstar but it was just too big. I'm sure it would have cooled it if I could have fit the motor to the bottom fan on there.

Absolutely agreed.... at 75 there is more than enough airflow across the radiator.... the fan need not do anything to cool the engine. Most vehicles are fail-safe that way.

-Joe

I hadn't read that about the OHVs and e'tric fans.... I still don't understand why it shouldn't work..... was Rick and the other that tried it running a shrouded unit, or just zip-connecting them to the core itself? Shrouding makes a HUGE difference in the airflow pattern under the hood...... Without it, depending on the vehicle and mounting configuration, you could end up recirculating heated under-hood air across the rad instead of pulling fresh cool air in from outside.

I've recently seen that FAL makes a universal 16" fan.... It appears that the shroud might be a close match for the Explorer/Ranger.... I may have to check it out. :)

I'll also send an e-mail to a guy that does R&D for Flex-A-Lite. I'll see if he has any idears.

-Joe

There were many people that tried the E fans, not just Rick or I.

I am well aware of the air taking the path of least resistance, a shroud is required always.

I know there are E fans on the market that will cool any engine under any circumstance, but the 16" unit I had with the stock HD radiator would not, and I heard from about 20 other people that 4x4 they had the same issue.

Aldive has a nice fan on his OHV 4.0L, his truck cools fine, but I dont think he runs 35's and low range 4x4 in the desert :)

Holey moley! All this time I thought he had a OHV, trying to get 30 MPG from the SOHC???? Wow....

I cant keep all this stuff straight, thank goodness I have you guys to correct me, so we can all learn.

Well today was about 75 degrees outside and she started heating up again with the new t-stat, fan clutch, and cap. What else could it be? Do I have too much stuff blocking my air flow?

17517warnpack.jpg

The problem is your radiator. I don't care how many times you have flushed it, it is plugged. Remove it and take it to a radiator shop and have them clean it or just replace it.

Could also be a plugged heater core.

How can a plugged heater core cause engine overheating?

I know supertech uses a electric fan on his OHV explorer. Also mine use to over heat bad when it was caked with mud. Once i would pull it and clean it real good everything ran great.

does the car overheat????? ford says that anywere in the NORMAL range is acceptablethat means all the way up to and past the "L". have had several customers car that have run at the "L" and and ford would say the same thing everytime ... "if its within the normal range its fine..
how to fix attach a aftermarket temp gauge with 10 degree to 300 degree table or one you fancy then you can see what temps your running at....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm with the radiator replacement theory.

Back