shift drive selector indicator | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

shift drive selector indicator

Any idea on a part number for the cable assembly? I attempted to make the adjustment, via the thumb wheel, but found that the copper wire had broken inside of the tubing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

chris.cfox-

Not too sure what a part # would be on that. A good Ford partsguy could look it up for ya. I have heard where that copper wire loop can break...if that's the case you do need the whole part. Bummer!:(

Yeap, the copper wire was broke on mine..... had to get the whole part.:(
Part # for my 2000 XLT is F87Z-7A110-AA.
Not sure, maybe it will be the same for your 2000 XLS.;)

thanks kenya looks like that will work for me. Any tips on the install?

I removed the screws from the radio bezel, but didn't need to take it all the way out, just pulled it out enough to allow the instrument cluster trim to come out after unscrewing it.
When you get the new part, make sure that you have the correct size socket for the screw that comes with it. I searched forever for the right size and ended up having to use long needlenose pliers to get the old screw out..... what a pain.
All in all, it only took a couple of hours- but I had to deal with the previous owners' remote starter mounted under the dash & I sure didn't want to pull something loose.
Good luck to you.

Just did this to my explorer. Worked great! Thanks

After staring at the offset selector for 4 years (amazing what you can get used to), I thought I'd look up a fix and found this thread. Turns out the plastic housing around the thumbscrew was broken. Looking at it, I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. Took some "engineering" and about 15 minutes; now the needle sits better than when I purchased it 12 years ago.

Now to try out the solution for the CMP sensor on another thread.

Thank you for those who have gone before!

copper wire for shift indicator

I installed new instrument cluster bulbs today and broke the small copper wire that controls the shift indicator. what part should I replace to get the indicator working? it is mentioned earlier on this thread, but I haven't figured it out yet. Thanks, this is a great place to be if you have an explorer! Clif

I would check with Tousley Ford Parts Depot. I believe the part name is IND ASY-TRANS GR SH. If you are a DIY kind of person I am pretty sure that you can simply replace that cable with some fishing line or something similar. It might be a little hard to feed the line through the rubber hose but it would save you a few bucks.

But in what order do I hook up the new cable?How does it hook into the back of the in

I removed the screws from the radio bezel, but didn't need to take it all the way out, just pulled it out enough to allow the instrument cluster trim to come out after unscrewing it.
When you get the new part, make sure that you have the correct size socket for the screw that comes with it. I searched forever for the right size and ended up having to use long needlenose pliers to get the old screw out..... what a pain.
All in all, it only took a couple of hours- but I had to deal with the previous owners' remote starter mounted under the dash & I sure didn't want to pull something loose.
Good luck to you.

jswjr

Sorry.In what order do I hook up the new cable?How does it attach to the back of the instrument cluster?

Well, I found the problem. The plastic cable adjuster at the trans had popped up (it's horseshoe shaped) so that the cable was not locked in position.
Reset the cable, and all is fine.
Since I tried the under dash "fix" first, I now know how to adjust the indicator. :D

How did you do that? Can you tell me where that is at? I'm having the same problem with my EX. It occasionally won't start unless i grab the gear shifter and push it up to park harder

i realize the op is 3yo, but..
i have a 2000 Ranger that's just developed a "sloppy" column shifter - it's not only a bit off in indicator position (slightly "right" of the gear it should point to) but is also difficult to get into park completely.

it's like the indicator itself is correct, showing 1/4 the way towards R when you try to put it in P, even though you've thrown the shifter as far as it will travel - it ACTS as indicated, "only partially in park". and in fact, the truck will roll backwards when in this "partial park, partial reverse" position.

Code:
P   R   N   D   2   1
 |   -- where indicator IS
| -- where it used to be/should be

it's a dangerous situation, and i need to be religious about using the parking brake now. it's close enough to park that the ignition isn't locked out, but not close enough to actually park the transmission.

anyway, i just happened to find a large torx screw sitting on the floor a while back, didn't know what it was at the time, but started watching for problems, sooo.... stumbled across this post while googing combinations of ford/shifter/torx words, am wondering if i might have a similar thing.

if that plate is loose, would it cause the type of "slop" described? if so, can anyone give me better instructions to finding this plate on a ranger? is it a similar configuration to explorer? i've definately found a "big mess" down there, like the op referred to, but as yet haven't seen where this screw might have come from.

thanks for any help

I also have this problem. davbol, have you found any forums on this yet? Mine occasionally rolls when it shows that it is in "Park" so i have to make sure to use the e-brake. And occasionally it won't start as i posted before. I think we've got the same problem

Hey Pumpkin thanks for the detailed pics. I fixed my problem that way. But I did mine a bit differently. I unscrewed the white peice and carfully removed the cable line, Pulled off the broken white top and unscrewed the black knob. Then I Removed the bottom white piece. Then I put back on the black knob and bottom white piece (in that order) Placed the cable back on the shifter bar and screwed back in the white piece. It was perfectly lined up now so I used a few small zip ties to hold it in place! :D

RANGERHEAD: Just finished fixing my shift selector indicator.Thanks to the awesome pictures provided by Punkin.My modification to the fix is this.(1) Remove white mounting bracket.(2) Remove broken bracket parts,and thumb screw nut from screw shaft.(3)Screw 10/24 nut on screw shaft 1st;all the way to bottom,then put on the mounting bracket,then put on thumb screw,then put on another 10/24 nut (loose fit).This will sandwitch in the thumb screw allowing you to fully adjust the range of tension.Once selector is placed directly over any drive letter;then just lightly tighten your 10/24 nuts and you're done. ( PS I even put the broken off top part back on between the sandwitched 10/24 nuts also. WITHOUT PICS- FIX WOULD NOT BE FIXED.Thanks again.

I'm new to this Forum.... thanks for pumpkin's photo illustration, I'm able to fix my 2001 Ranger by cutting the shaft of a ball pen to serve as a spacer. It's working like new now :)

great job ! thanks

My shift indicator decided to malfunction this past Saturday. Removing the 2 steering column covers and knee bolters revealed a broken white bracket around the thumbwheel adjuster.
I used the wire tie idea with a rolled up piece of duct tape underneath to make it thick and sturdy. However, the whole thing feels kinda flimsy and cheap. The cable almost feels like a piece of string. I'm surprised this hasn't broke sooner. Anyway, now the indicator and gear match up again.
$0 cost!!!

Took some pics:
#1 - What it should look like
#2 - What it looks like broken
#3 - My fix with the wire tie
#4 - A closer view

thanks for the pics

thanks pumpkin,
my nephew and i looked up this thread since i was having the same problems. shifter fixed in no time flat. best 20 bucks and dinner for my nephew i have ever spent.:)

I see this is an old thread but wanted to say a great big Thanks to Pumpkin. Same issue with my 99 exp and your pics helped me locate the dial but more important your use of the zip tie to fix the broken plastic mount was the ticket! I was able to repair without removing the bottom plate..a little tight but got it! Thanks Again!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have the same problem with indicator on my 1999 explorer

Have the same problem with indicator on my 1999 explorer. Found the wheel and it is not broken but wheel will not turn in either direction. What now?

Back