Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Shift to Park Warning

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by jwsnell00, August 20, 2012.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. jwsnell00

jwsnell00 New Member

City, State:
      San Antonio, TX
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2011 Explorer Limited
      Shift to Park Warning keeps coming on

Out of about 12 trips daily in my 2011 Explorer Limited 19K, at least 3 or 4 times each day I started getting the message "Shift to Park" along with a warning chime after pushing the lever to the park position and turning off the key. I have to move the shift lever around and sometimes restart and re-shift to park. I know its warranty, but I am concerned since you can't seem to make it happen on demand, but at least 20% of my trips end this way, and it takes sometimes a minute or two messing with it to make the chime and warning go away. Looking to see if this has happened to anyone else, or is just a fluke on my Exp, and can it be easily fixed? Thanks!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. tttsample

tttsample New Member

City, State:
      CA
      2011 Limited
      Take a video from your smartphone. Dealer fixed mine in one day, they changed the shift lever.

4. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Welcome to the Forum jwsnell00. :wavey:
      I don't recall seeing a post on this before. But apparently it has happened and as suggested by tttsample, you should have your dealer check into it.

Peter

5. phareous

phareous Active Member

City, State:
      Charlotte, NC
      2013 Ford Explorer Limite
      Yeah I have never seen that...it sounds like something is defective in your gear selector

6. GAnana

GAnana New Member

City, State:
      GA
      2011 Ford Explorer
      I have a 2011 with 19k and just left it at the dealer today for the exact same problem. Did you ever get your problem fixed? They are keeping mine another day as they could not get it to replicate the warning...not sure how hard they tried.

7. jwsnell00

jwsnell00 New Member

City, State:
      San Antonio, TX
      2011 Explorer Limited
      I have not taken it in, but it has gotten worse and does it almost all the time now and it probably will do it when I do take it in. Seems to happen a little more on a slight incline. I can push it, move it around and get the warning to go off with a little work. I am going to guess they are aware of this somewhere at Ford.

8. uscrules1

uscrules1 New Member

City, State:
      Newport Beach, CA
      2011 Limited
      I am getting this too. It just started happening about two weeks ago. 2011 Explorer, 26K miles. It's driving me crazy. Sometimes it won't shift into park like 10 times in a row, then it will work for a few days.

Taking to dealer next week. Let me know if you have any luck with your issues.

9. vig1116

vig1116 Active Member

City, State:
      monmouth, NJ
      2015 sport
      Hey all, it's been a while but still having problems with the '11 ex ltd. For a while when I shut the veh off the left dash display says "shift to park" in yellow as if its not in park, which it certainly is!! It also won't let me use the remote start when it displays this. It's happening more often now. Anyone else have this problem??? Thanks

10. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      I'm not familiar as to how the info is transmitted within the vehicle. It could be a matter of dirty contacts, loose connection or something slightly out of alignment. Has you dealer had a look at this? I can't recall anyone else having this issue.

Peter

11. vig1116

vig1116 Active Member

City, State:
      monmouth, NJ
      2015 sport
      thanks for responding Peter. The dealer has not looked at it yet because i am trying to get it recorded on my phone so they cant just say we cant reproduce it.. It's just hard to do with two little ones to take care of... lol i plan on taking it in soon because im afraid it will turn into a bigger issue if left alone, plus theres a new noise that turned up recently when i accelerate that i need to get on tape as well because that worries me a lot... i was hoping others were experiencing these issues as well so i may get an idea of what the situation is before i go to the dealer but i guess i'm the only lucky one.... lol i'll let you know th outcome afterwards, but it might be after the holidays...

12. cnsheets

cnsheets Active Member

2011 Explemoner
      Sounds like a loose or misaligned neutral safety switch.

13. vig1116

vig1116 Active Member

City, State:
      monmouth, NJ
      2015 sport
      i wouldnt even know where to look for that... lol

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    14. wildcats

wildcats New Member

City, State:
      wentzville Mo,
      2011 Explorer
      I had the same issue. They replaced the shifter now all is good. Hope this helps! Good luck!

15. tttsample

tttsample New Member

City, State:
      CA
      2011 Limited
      Same problem with mine. 'Lucky' for me it happens when I was in dealership, so they replace the shifter right away. You might want to record it on your phone, just in case they need prove.

16. FordService

FordService Official Ford Rep

City, State:
      Dearborn, MI
      Hi vig1116,

As some of the folks have suggested below, stopping by your dealership is a great first step. Additionally, I'm happy to escalate your case to your regional customer service manager; just send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

Great info, gang. Thanks for offering up your experience and suggestions!

Crystal

17. vig1116

vig1116 Active Member

City, State:
      monmouth, NJ
      2015 sport
      great guys, thanks!! I'm not happy you guys had the same problem but i'm glad it's not just me :)

Crystal, thanks for the offer!! I'll try to get it done soon and if it's not going well i'll drop you a PM so you can "bust some heads". lol

18. FordService

FordService Official Ford Rep

City, State:
      Dearborn, MI
      LOL! Thanks for the laughs, vig1116. If I need to whip some people into shape, you just let me know! :D

19. vig1116

vig1116 Active Member

City, State:
      monmouth, NJ
      2015 sport

:biggthump

20. vig1116

vig1116 Active Member

City, State:
      monmouth, NJ
      2015 sport
      so i brought the truck in today because it overheated last night and they are ordering fans.. Arghh as far as the shift to park and the power liftgate issues, the guy said they are going to perform the "new recall" on the computer software and that should alleviate the shift to park and liftgate issues.... WHAT'S THIS "NEW RECALL"???

21. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      I can only assume they are referring to the MFT V3.5.1. Do you have that new version installed? If you do, then I have no idea what they are talking about.

Peter

22. vig1116

vig1116 Active Member

City, State:
      monmouth, NJ
      2015 sport
      ahhh i didnt know there was a 3.5.1, i currently have 3.2.2! But i still don't think that is going to solve my shift to park and liftgate issues when others are getting new parts for the same problems.... We'll have to wait and see.....

23. 95XLT_2011LTD

95XLT_2011LTD New Member

City, State:
      WA
      2011 LTD
      Glad I checked here. I brought my 2011 Ford Ex LTD in with the same Shift to Park issue and my dealer service rep had no idea. They contacted Ford (or so he claimed) and they had no idea either. They reinstalled MFT as they identified some corrupt files and were hoping that would resolve the Shift to Park issue. It did not. Nor did it improve the stability of my MFT.

Very frustrated at this stage. Will definitely be reporting back that replacing the shifter appears to be the path to fix but why am I the one having to bring ideas to service technicians?! UGH!

Seriously contemplating getting rid of my Ford Ex in hopes of finding something reliable. Too many issues...none major but a death by 1,000 cuts is just as brutal.

Driving a 2011 Ford Ex LTD with about 25,000 miles.

24. vig1116

vig1116 Active Member

City, State:
      monmouth, NJ
      2015 sport

Hey guys, i've been dealing with the regional rep, Erika, from Ford about this issue thanks to crystal on here. They are trying their best to figure this out but are coming up short. Now they are going to install a VDR (i think) so i can record when it happens and they can analyze the data. I'm ok with that for now, but if that doesn't work i think i'm going to try to insist on a shift replacement like you guys got. My questions to you are: Is the new shifter still working or did the shift to park come back at all?? The other question is, if it is still a good fix, can you PM me the dealer that replaced the shifter and the date you brought it in so i have references to show Ford that the shifter is the problem. If you are afraid that you don't know me to share that info, i'm sure crystal wouldn't mind being a go between with the info and she can relay it straight to Erika. Let me know if you guys are willing to give that info if the "black box" doesn't work. Thank you!! I hope to get the black box installed next week so i'll let you know if it works or not and if i need that info.....

25. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

City, State:
      Louisville, KY
      2011 Limited
      Shift to park warning

My 2011 limited just started having this issue. It has happened 3 times in the last two days. Ughhhh....how many issues can this truck have??? Does anyone know exactly what the real problem is? Those who have had it repaired, have you had any more problems? Thanks

26. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      This topic has been discussed before. I did a 'search' and you may want to read the following thread. Looks like replacing the shifter does the job.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375462&highlight=shift

The fact that this vehicle has so many electronic components is the major reason I bought the extended warranty (ESP).

Peter