Shift to Park Warning | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shift to Park Warning

"Shift to park" also in my 2011 Explorer. Have had it to the dealer and my wife got the typical response "could not get it to fail" Have another appointment. I seen a video somewhere showing pushing the switch on the shifter and looking at the "P" on the gauge cluster until the "P" would night up. I can't believe that Ford customer has not noted this as a possible issue and how to test and repair it. Have seen several post where dealer replaced and where the owners get the run around. My warrant is about to expire and want it fixed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

"Shift to park" also in my 2011 Explorer. Have had it to the dealer and my wife got the typical response "could not get it to fail" Have another appointment....

Hi batman89,

I want to do what I can to assist. Shoot a PM my way with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll look into some options for you.

Crystal

Shift to Park?

Turn it off and this message appears Shift To Park as if I haven't put it in park, don't think I can shut it off till I wiggle the shifter, dealer wont take it in until they can see it happen, say it is waste of time

anybody?

Hello everyone!

I joined today because of this issue and the complete and utter lack of anyone at Ford to care. I have been having this "Shift to Park" Issue for over three weeks and it happens about 90% of the time. I have only had my 2011 Ford Explorer for 2 years and there are under 30K miles. I drove around doing shopping the other day when after pressing and depressing the black button on the gear shift, was UNABLE to make the car register that it was in park. I finally took my car to Chino Hills Ford in CA, the same dealer I purchased from. JOhnny G seemed interested in my problem and as he sat in my car, the "Shift to Park" warning was on because it faulted when I parked outside the service area and took a picture with my cell phone. He said to leave it overnight, so this morning, I get a phone call saying they could NOT get the shifting to "fault" so they weren't going to fix anything. I immediately called Ford Customer Service and yelled out the service rep when she told me "He's right, they won't fix it." I told her that was BS and after complaining she "escalated" my service call. I am so irate that I have to send my car in three prior times to fix their internal recall issues yet this little button or shifter, whatever the problem is, will not get fixed. My husband picked up the car, the service man REFUSED to say ANYTHING to him, and he was directed to the sales manager, who after the female receptionist alerted him about my husband's dissatisfaction, continued to shoot the **** with the other male employee he was engaged in casual conversation with. My husband finally yelled at hims saying he didn't have all day to wait, got the man's card (Jon Klempner) and said he would never come back. My husband drove the car home, pulled out his cell phone just in case the car "faulted" and didn't engage in park and what do you know, it failed to register in park! I cannot believe Ford will completely deny me a fix on this part when it is so obvious this is an ISSUE effecting more than just my Explorer, and that some people here have been able to have it fixed but I am flat out denied as if I am some stupid person who can't park my car. I am irate, I hate this stupid chiming and I want it fixed......yesterday!!!!!

stacy, It is the shifter itself. I had the same problem for many weeks and although ford customer service was trying their best the dealer couldn't and wouldn't try to find the problem. I had to do my own work and was able to replicate by doing this: Start the car. While running don't hit the brake and pull the trigger on the shifter. If you notice when you pull the trigger the orange light around the P will go out, then back on when you let the trigger go. Well the problem is, sometimes when you let the trigger go, it will not light back up, or it will delay in lighting back up, therefore the computer thinks it's not in park. Hope this helps.

Hello everyone!

I joined today because of this issue and the complete and utter lack of anyone at Ford to care. I have been having this "Shift to Park" Issue for over three weeks and it happens about 90% of the time. I have only had my 2011 Ford Explorer for 2 years and there are under 30K miles. I drove around doing shopping the other day when after pressing and depressing the black button on the gear shift, was UNABLE to make the car register that it was in park. I finally took my car to Chino Hills Ford in CA, the same dealer I purchased from. JOhnny G seemed interested in my problem and as he sat in my car, the "Shift to Park" warning was on because it faulted when I parked outside the service area and took a picture with my cell phone. He said to leave it overnight, so this morning, I get a phone call saying they could NOT get the shifting to "fault" so they weren't going to fix anything. I immediately called Ford Customer Service and yelled out the service rep when she told me "He's right, they won't fix it." I told her that was BS and after complaining she "escalated" my service call. I am so irate that I have to send my car in three prior times to fix their internal recall issues yet this little button or shifter, whatever the problem is, will not get fixed. My husband picked up the car, the service man REFUSED to say ANYTHING to him, and he was directed to the sales manager, who after the female receptionist alerted him about my husband's dissatisfaction, continued to shoot the **** with the other male employee he was engaged in casual conversation with. My husband finally yelled at hims saying he didn't have all day to wait, got the man's card (Jon Klempner) and said he would never come back. My husband drove the car home, pulled out his cell phone just in case the car "faulted" and didn't engage in park and what do you know, it failed to register in park! I cannot believe Ford will completely deny me a fix on this part when it is so obvious this is an ISSUE effecting more than just my Explorer, and that some people here have been able to have it fixed but I am flat out denied as if I am some stupid person who can't park my car. I am irate, I hate this stupid chiming and I want it fixed......yesterday!!!!!
Welcome to the Forum SoCalStacy.:wavey:
As vig1116 indicated, the problem is more that likely with the shifter and it should be replaced. There are Ford reps that monitor this forum and they can get in touch with the regional customer service manager in your area. See post #42 right above your post for the information that is required.
Click on FordService in the left margin and then select "Send a private message...." with the required info and Crystal or whom ever is on the boards that day will respond to you.
Good luck.

Peter

... I have been having this "Shift to Park" Issue for over three weeks and it happens about 90% of the time...

Hi SoCalStacy,

I want to look into this for you so I can see how to best assist. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll get to work! :)

Crystal

Car not in Park...

So my wife texts me this morning saying she got to work, put it in park, went to shut it off and it wouldnt shut off. A message came up saying "car not in park". Took her two times to shift back into gear and then back to park.

I did a search and can't seem to find anyone who had this issue. The only issue similar is telling people to shift to park. My feeling is it is the same part starting to go bad but wanted to see if anyone has seen this before.

Peter, go ahead and merge this thread. Apparently it is a shift to park message after questioning my wife on it lol.

Peter, go ahead and merge this thread. Apparently it is a shift to park message after questioning my wife on it lol.
No problem. Done.

Peter

SSM Number for Shift to Park

Well, the other day the regional customer service guy from Ford gave me the info about an SSM that was issued on August 29 in regards to fixing the "shift to park" issue. It's SSM #6535. It's not a recall, but it was described to me as a service bulletin to the dealers on how to fix this problem. The same regional guy notified the dealer in Riverside I wanted to take my Explorer to, and when we came in they took it apart and said they needed to order a new part, since it's a holiday weekend we picked my car back up and will wait for their return call. They didn't check for it to fault, but I am not sure if that was only because of my case number and escalated service call or if it says to fix the issue on the bulletin.

Anyways, it's not fixed yet, but at least it looks like things are moving forward.

Again, it's SSM #6535 dated 08/29/13. Good luck, I hope this helps everyone get it fixed! I'll keep you in mind Crystal if nothing else happens from here, thanks for checking in with me.

My 2011 Limited went to the dealer for the shift to park issue a month or two ago. They had the car overnight and replaced the shifter, I believe. The issue was gone for a short while, however, it is back and getting progressively worse again. I am not upset that I had to take it in initially to get fixed, but the fact that I am having to take it back a 3rd time (1st time unable to reproduce, 2nd time work was done) is frustrating. I don't have unlimited time to take my vehicle in for servicing!

I guess it's time to make a trip to the dealer again. Sigh.

My 2011 Limited went to the dealer for the shift to park issue a month or two ago. They had the car overnight and replaced the shifter, I believe. The issue was gone for a short while, however, it is back and getting progressively worse again. I am not upset that I had to take it in initially to get fixed, but the fact that I am having to take it back a 3rd time (1st time unable to reproduce, 2nd time work was done) is frustrating. I don't have unlimited time to take my vehicle in for servicing!

I guess it's time to make a trip to the dealer again. Sigh.

I'll be happy to loop in your regional customer service manager on this, letzleta. Send me your information (VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name) and I'll get this into their hands.

Crystal

Just to update this thread, my Ex was in this week for the issue. They told me as well that there is a SSA on this and it requires them to adjust the shift cable. He said it has nothing to do with the shifter being replaced and that is why you don't get the P lit up since it is stuck between gears. He said the service manager doesn't want to make adjustments unless it is happening there because if they adjust it the wrong way, it is their liability if something happens.

So I'm guessing for those who have had their shifter replaced, it may have fixed it because the cable was moved but the permanent fix is to adjust it the correct way and amount.

Still waiting.

Yeah, been over two weeks since my car went in for the second time. Was told they had to order a part and apparently this part just came in yesterday.

Been the longest time, most difficult thing I have EVER had to replace on ANY car I ever owned...Honda, VW, BMW all had better service and didn't ever jack me around when something was broken, Honda was the best (I had two prior vehicles with them) and to think I wanted the Pilot and my husband talked me into the Explorer. Should have went with prior satisfaction :(

In the meantime, I am not holding my breath that this will work. Now to make an appt. for the fix.

Yeah, been over two weeks since my car went in for the second time. Was told they had to order a part and apparently this part just came in yesterday.

Been the longest time, most difficult thing I have EVER had to replace on ANY car I ever owned...Honda, VW, BMW all had better service and didn't ever jack me around when something was broken, Honda was the best (I had two prior vehicles with them) and to think I wanted the Pilot and my husband talked me into the Explorer. Should have went with prior satisfaction :(

In the meantime, I am not holding my breath that this will work. Now to make an appt. for the fix.
This just goes to show you that the individual dealer/service department plays a big role in customer satisfaction. There are various posts on this Forum where service experiences from different dealers have been like night and day. I had an unpleasant experience with a Honda dealership when looking to lease a vehicle and because of that I ended up leasing 3 Toyota Highlanders over a period of 10+ years.
I hope that this repair will fix the problem you are experiencing.

Peter

It happened to me last night.. only took 1 restart and to go to reverse, then park and it cleared up. I got it on video this time.

Yeah, been over two weeks since my car went in for the second time. Was told they had to order a part and apparently this part just came in yesterday...

Keep me posted, SoCalStacy; if you need me to step in and help, I'll be here. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Finally FIXED!!!!

So, after one failed attempt at Chino Hills Ford for refusing to fix the "Shift to Park" because they themselves could not "get it to fail" and numerous complaints to Ford's regional customer care manager, who personally contacted Fritts Ford (my preferred Ford Service) to explain the situation, they took a look at it and ordered the part. Waited two weeks for the part, and on the third and final trip, the shift gear was replaced and I have yet to see "shift to park" again.

Hallelujah!!!!!

Back