Shifting issues on '06 Mountaineer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shifting issues on '06 Mountaineer

MoabB2

Reaction score
City, State
South Jordan, Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
89 Bronco II (97 Mercury)
My mom just bought a brand new 2006 Mountaineer. She had been having some shifting issues, slipping etc.... She took it into the dealer last month and they reflashed the computer.

I was able to drive it the other day, and first thing I notice is that the trans is shifting weird. Really noticeable in the 1-2 shift, almost feels like it is slipping, it just doesn't feel normal, and hesitates shifting.

What could be wrong? We took it back to another dealership and they said "we can't feel anything wrong with it". OK, and I felt it right away when I drove it, so did my mom, so did my dad. My first impression was it is either a ECM issue or a internal transmission issue.

Has anybody else experienced this? Anybody know what it could be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Drive a few others with the same drivetrain and see if they do the same.

I sure hope this isn't normal. If all the transmissions are like this then Ford put out an awful product. Definitely something is wrong.

under full throttle there is some hesitation from 1-2 (V8 6spd) but my bigger gripe in the hiccup or lunge coming to a stop from 45+ as the tranny shifts back down near stop.

There is a TSB on this and i will be having this done soon.

TSB? Fill me in here.

My shift from 1-2 is horrible, not matter if you are under full throttle or just easing around a parking lot. It hesitates and then catches/lunges like a second later.

TSB? Fill me in here.

My shift from 1-2 is horrible, not matter if you are under full throttle or just easing around a parking lot. It hesitates and then catches/lunges like a second later.

I will see what else i get from my dealer, but here is what i have

TSB data for: 2006 FORD EXPLORER
Bulletin Number: 05236
Sequence Number: 10019029
Date: 20060101
Component Name: 103000 POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
Make: FORD
Model: EXPLORER
Year: 2006
HARSH OR DELAYED 1-2, 2-1 AND/OR 3-2 SHIFT. *TT

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I have the same issues as you all do with my 06 v8 6speed. THe harsh shifts, feeling of "slippage", a lunge at low speeds when the tranny down shifts, loud thud/bump from the tranny when doing a "rolling stop". Has anyone had their dealership successfully fix this?

I have the same issues as you all do with my 06 v8 6speed. THe harsh shifts, feeling of "slippage", a lunge at low speeds when the tranny down shifts, loud thud/bump from the tranny when doing a "rolling stop". Has anyone had their dealership successfully fix this?

Mine goes in Wed, i will report back afterwards

So what does TSB stand for? When did this one come out, my stealership hadn't a clue when we took ours in.

CW, definitely let us know how it turns out! Sounds like this is a problem for most 2006's.

So what does TSB stand for? When did this one come out, my stealership hadn't a clue when we took ours in.

CW, definitely let us know how it turns out! Sounds like this is a problem for most 2006's.

TSB= (technical service bulletins)

I believe that the slight hesitation between gear shifts is the electronic drive-by-wire throttle. It is designed that way to create a smooth shift. The adaptive transmission learns how you drive, and tries to mimic your driving pattern. If you change your driving pattern, the computer system will take time to re-learn your new characteristics.

I have the 5-speed V6 XLT, and notice the 1st to 2nd gear upshift hesitation, though it holds its gear position very well on the highway.

I have ridden in the 6-speed V8 and that transmission seems to be shifting all the time. On the highway, any slight incline and the transmission has to downshift to maintain speed. Towing is rediculous with the six speed too, always upshifting and downshifting.

You may want to try driving with the O/D turned off (an orange O/D light will appear on the instrument panel). This will change the shift pattern rpm's and keep you out of 6th gear when you are driving around town or towing.

I believe that the slight hesitation between gear shifts is the electronic drive-by-wire throttle. It is designed that way to create a smooth shift. The adaptive transmission learns how you drive, and tries to mimic your driving pattern. If you change your driving pattern, the computer system will take time to re-learn your new characteristics.

I have the 5-speed V6 XLT, and notice the 1st to 2nd gear upshift hesitation, though it holds its gear position very well on the highway.

I have ridden in the 6-speed V8 and that transmission seems to be shifting all the time. On the highway, any slight incline and the transmission has to downshift to maintain speed. Towing is rediculous with the six speed too, always upshifting and downshifting.

You may want to try driving with the O/D turned off (an orange O/D light will appear on the instrument panel). This will change the shift pattern rpm's and keep you out of 6th gear when you are driving around town or towing.

An an owner of a V8 6spd i would disagree about the mad shifting and such.
In a test drive, yeah maybe it did, but when you drive one it does not random shift on regular basis, but tell it you need more (with your foot) it certainly will shift as requested.

In reference to above, I noticed excessive shifting while towing 2 dirtbikes on an open 6'x10' trailer.

While cruising the highway at 65mph, any slight incline in the road and the V8 would immediately downshift into fifth gear. Sometimes even downshifting into fourth gear then back to fifth, etc. I found that disabling the O/D helped hold the gear longer, but then the rpms for fifth gear were quite higher as expected. For the 120 mile trip that we towed, we averaged 12.3 mpg according to the trip computer.

I recommend 6th gear should only be used for flat highway driving without load. Just trying to provide input to my experiences with the V8. It seems like Ford engineered the transmission gear ratio's for optimum fuel efficiency. I have also stated before that my F150 is a four speed and tows very well. There is no hesitation between shifts and rarely does it automatically downshift on road inclines, even when towing.

CW-

Did you get your truck back from the dealership? How did the TSB turn out?

CW-

Did you get your truck back from the dealership? How did the TSB turn out?

MUCH BETTER!!

The hesitation seems to be gone as does the slamming downshift upon slow/stop.

Very pleased, go have yours done too!

Good to hear! Hopefully it doesn't come back again. I'll take mine in, thanks for the help!

MUCH BETTER!!

The hesitation seems to be gone as does the slamming downshift upon slow/stop.

Very pleased, go have yours done too!

Which TSB was performed on your vehicle? I already had one TSB performed and it only worked for a short while and the the poor shifting returned.

Which TSB was performed on your vehicle? I already had one TSB performed and it only worked for a short while and the the poor shifting returned.

I have noticed mine do it again a couple times now too

harsh shift

my dealer preformed the tsb ,replaced the valve body and went as far as replacing the trasmission with a factory new unit, and still harsh shift from 1 to 2 gear and bump on down shift from 40+..:mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have the same issues when I come to a stop. It will be going in to the shop for the 3rd time for this next week.

Back