Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Shims for 8.8" Trac Lok Differential on 2002 Sport Trac 4X4

Discussion in '2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac' started by Thrifty_Bastard, March 6, 2018.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Thrifty_Bastard

Thrifty_Bastard New Member

March 6, 2018
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2002 Explorer Sport Trac
      While replacing worn out spider gears in the rear differential, I noticed the clutches for the trac lok were completely shot. I can't complain since I'm at 285,000 miles. I see in the video at that supposedley the thickness of each clutch pack should be 0.650". However, when I looked in the All Data manual it only showed how to use a special tool to use a torque wrench to check the friction plates' load setting. Since the video says it's for an 8.8" rear, but does not specify for which model truck, I'm concerned there may be variations in applicability and the 0.650" shim dimension may or may not be specific for me. Where can I find factual dimensions for my rig using the measuring method in the video rather than the torque wrench/special tool method?
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.