Shipping Tips | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shipping Tips

I think this might be a good idea

Some of you have items for sale, but are afraid to ship them for various reasons.

Maybe this thread will help you overcome the issues, and, sell your stuff.

I would like each contributor to sub title his suggestion so they are easy to find for sellers, wishing to find a shipping option.

No comments please, in order to keep this thread as comprehensive as possible. Comments will be deleted.

Thanks in advance for your contributions.!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

free boxes

normally what i do is go to a body shop, or a place that dose automotive windshields. more then likely they will have some very large boxes that they are going to toss out. you can then grab one, and make your own box to fit the part better.

same with tubes. if i am sending mouldings, what i normally do as well (doesn't have to be mouldings, but that's what i use them for) is go to a carpet, or vinyl flooring place, and ask them for some cardboard tubes. they are thick, and very sturdy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When packing a box with multiple items, it may be a good idea to wrap each item in a couple pieces of paper. (news paper could be used for example, although you may want to use more than a couple sheets if it's really thin) This helps from items scratching each other or smashing into each other, place everything tightly together in a box of appropriate size and try to crumple up a bit of paper to layer both the bottom and top of the box. The key is to Pack the box as much as possible. If done right you could practically drop kick that box off a trailer and the contents would be safe. I've had a couple different types of logistics jobs and they all say one thing in common: "Just use a Lot of paper." It works great, always has.
Also another tip if money is tight, you can go to almost any moving company and ask for used boxes, they have plenty to give.

For larger and/or longer items consider using Greyhound. If both the seller and buyer have a local terminal then this is a Very cost effective and quick mode of shipping. Boxes are not required. However, you want to protect the item with a good layer of thick cardboard wrapping. I've sent bumpers, doors, running boards etc and have been very pleased.

Another relatively unknown shipping method is Forward Air. This time both parties need to be near an airport. Good for heavier items such as engines, transmissions etc.

Lastly, consider Fedex Freight for heavy/large items as well. If you have a Fedex overnight or ground account call your rep and ask for a discount.

Packaging and Taping part II

I wanted to add my two cents on it. I use to work for UPS and the biggest problem i saw was not enough tape or too weak of tape (Masking tape :crazy:) especially for packages over 70 pounds. Granted if the package opens up we would tape it up quickly (Usually wouldn't look pretty). If stuff falls out it usually just was tossed/forced back in since we were rushed to get our job done. There is no such thing as to much tape.

Don't skimp on a heavy box if you want to be sure what you're sending will get to its location in good shape. Its unreal how many packages get crushed becuase people load heavy packages on really weak boxes and turns them into an accordion. This leads to the box opening up and contents falling out.

^LOL I was a loader at UPS for awhile, so I know what happens to the packages:D

when shiiping a T-case, i drilled som holes in a piece of plywood and used the really big zip tyes to strap it to it. Then put it in a box;)

I second the Greyhoud recommendation.
I recently bought some gas pump skins from a guy who cut nearly 75% off the UPS quote.I met the bus at my local terminal and was a breeze to pick up,all properly packaged by him.If they have room in the belly of a bus coming near you,they'll except it.

i shipped a motorcycle exhaust form miami to philly for $9....just wrapped it in brown shipping paper from the large rolls

i shipped a motorcycle exhaust form miami to philly for $9....just wrapped it in brown shipping paper from the large rolls

They do not accept this at UPS, or will deny any sort of claim if there is any damage/loss. If you got this through UPS, you are very lucky.

Anyone shipped a 5 speed transmission?

Anyone shipped a 5 speed transmission?

Find a Pallet, shrink wrap the trans to stop anything from leaking and protect it from the weather, Strap trans to Pallet. Poke around online for LTL shipping quotes (Less than Truck Load), or call UPS/Fedex.

I've been quoted about $100-150 to ship a pallet with 4 wheels on it from New York to IL, so it should/would be in that neighborhood.

Great shipping tips in this thread. I sometimes find it hard when shipping heavy items overseas somehow. This info help a lot!

Back