Dismiss Notice

to owner generated reviews, discussion, tech tips, and more! The #1 Ford Explorer enthusiast resource on the Internet since 1996. We also cover the Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. StevenC56

StevenC56 Member

City, State:
      Fresno, CA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2017 Platinum
      Our Explorer was in Elko Nevada this morning. Anybody know about how many days from there to the distribution depot in Milpitas, CA? We would love to pick it up this Sunday.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. StevenC56

StevenC56 Member

City, State:
      Fresno, CA
      2017 Platinum
      Apparently our Explorer arrived at the Milpitas CA holding center on Monday night. Anybody have any idea how long before an auto transport will take it to a dealer that's not far from there?

4. Pete6114

Pete6114 Member

City, State:
      SW Ontario, Canada
      2017 EX Plat
      StevenC56: There is no way of telling unless you work in the Office doing the final convoy scheduling. They do however wait till a load of vehicles goes to your dealer, or your dealer is on the route they take for making several stops. Last time i had ordered a vehicle, it sat around 3-4 days, waiting for it's final 2 hour trip by convoy once it's been unloaded at the rail-yard. They WILL deliver all vehicles as fast as they can and is in their own best interest. Everything has a reason and cant be rushed, so might as well relax....

5. StevenC56

StevenC56 Member

City, State:
      Fresno, CA
      2017 Platinum
      You just confirmed exactly what my wife and I had discussed last night about how they probably do this. Just really excited about our new ride. (Actually my wife's new ride) Just tough since the holding area is only 25 miles from our dealer!

6. StevenC56

StevenC56 Member

City, State:
      Fresno, CA
      2017 Platinum
      Seems to have reverted back to awaiting shipment now. How is that? I doubt they shipped it back to Chicago. My dealer has several Explorers that have been delivered to a holding area close to them, and they all changed back to this status as of today.

7. Pete6114

Pete6114 Member

City, State:
      SW Ontario, Canada
      2017 EX Plat
      awaiting shipment is usually what you see once vehicles have been released from the plants....just ignore it.
      Mine shows In Production and i know thats not the case till the 30th
      Where do you get your info from, http://www.cotus.ford.com/ ?
      Just ran my VIN at cotus. Not much info there but better then nothing.....

Last edited: March 24, 2017
    8. StevenC56

StevenC56 Member

City, State:
      Fresno, CA
      2017 Platinum
      Yes-Checking on the Cotus website with our VIN. Production date was 3/10 and was awaiting shipping after that. Changed to in transit on 3/12 and my dealer was able to track the train it was on. The train arrived in Mipitas CA 3/20. Still showed in transit the last few days until last night it reverted back to awaiting shipping and there's no ETA for arrival at my dealer or days left until delivery anymore like there had been.

9. Pete6114

Pete6114 Member

City, State:
      SW Ontario, Canada
      2017 EX Plat
      I'd start driving by the dealer whenever you're close by and check if it's there. Often times vehicles have actually been delivered and the system still shows in transit for couple more days. As i said before, this is not a system with actual live info. It's updated after the fact and not 100% accurate.
      Once they're released to be shipped, Ford itself basically has no control over it and depends on
      the outsorced shipping companies, either rail or convoy, for updates

Last edited: March 24, 2017
    10. blwnsmoke

blwnsmoke Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      2011 Explorer Limited
      The dealers internal tracking system is very accurate and is updated many times a day.

Here is my fusion on order and you can see the date/times it is updated. It is actually quite amazing how exact their tracking system is while it is on the move.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Pete6114

Pete6114 Member

City, State:
      SW Ontario, Canada
      2017 EX Plat
      Super. I'd be interested to see what vehiclevisibility shows after it arrives at the railyard, while waiting for it's final trip to the dealer and if it shows" delivered" on the day it is, or 1-3 days later.

12. blwnsmoke

City, State:
      2011 Explorer Limited
      As of that tracking, it is off the train and waiting for Cooper to deliver it via truck. This is the waiting game that I know you mentioned above. My guy out in MI will text me as soon as it arrives so I'll be sure to look up the screen shot to see what it shows and report back.

I remember when I ordered my Explorer it was the same thing coming out to NH but again, once it is in the truckers hands, it just sits idle online until it is on the move so there definitely is a lull.

When I ordered my F350, it was as you speak... "released from plant" which puts it in Cooper's hands.. and then nothing until it is on the truck from the factory (6 hour truck ride from plant to my guy). And even when it is on the truck, there are no checkpoints like the train system so it is a mystery for the most part beyond the ETA.

13. StevenC56

StevenC56 Member

City, State:
      Fresno, CA
      2017 Platinum
      Ours took 6 days by rail to get from Chicago to the holding area in Milpitas CA. It's now been sitting there for 6 days and it's only 35 miles from the dealership!

14. blwnsmoke

City, State:
      2011 Explorer Limited
      Here is another one showing the production of the vehicle.. This is the difference between a salesman and an exceptional salesman that keeps the customer in the loop. Many will tell you they don't have access to this just so they don't have to bother.

[​IMG]

15. blwnsmoke

City, State:
      2011 Explorer Limited
      Yup.. that's what sucks.. they have to wait for a truck full to get you your vehicle as they won't just bring 1 to the dealership.

16. StevenC56

StevenC56 Member

City, State:
      Fresno, CA
      2017 Platinum
      Not sure how many fit on a transport, but my dealer has at least 6 other vehicles sitting at the holding area along with ours. Seems like they just don't have the capacity to move them all that fast.

17. Pete6114

Pete6114 Member

City, State:
      SW Ontario, Canada
      2017 EX Plat
      This looks much better then when i used to track vehicles for members of other forums before i retired from ford. I hope it's the new norm and not just a fluke. Maybe ford was fast-tracking this particular train. Normally rail updates are, or where slow to come by from what i seen. I suppose a lot could have changed/automated since i got my last paycheck. As far as my Explorer goes, i'm not expecting much tracking. It'll be a "awaiting for shipment" to "delivered" since it's just a 7hr drive and will definitely arrive by truck

18. blwnsmoke

City, State:
      2011 Explorer Limited
      Well when I ordered my 2011, it was the same system and same updates.. I remember getting updates as it crossed from Chicago through NY to MA and then from truck in MA to NH. So at least this is how I've seen my tracking for the past 6 years.

19. blwnsmoke

City, State:
      2011 Explorer Limited
      Could be backlog then. I believe it is 7 cars/suvs or 5 trucks (superduties) that fit (don't quote me).

20. StevenC56

StevenC56 Member

City, State:
      Fresno, CA
      2017 Platinum
      Well-Yesterday my wife calls the dealership to find out if our Explorer had arrived and was told by the Sales Manager on shift (Our Manager was on days off) that it was still in Milpitas. My wife was calm but voiced her disappointment that the vehicle has been sitting in the holding center just 35 miles away for over a week. We got a voicemail shortly after from the Manager stating that he had called the depot, and that they were going to make sure and deliver the Vehicle sometime today. Now the VIN no longer is showing as valid on the COTUS website. Not sure why that is?

21. blwnsmoke

City, State:
      2011 Explorer Limited
      I am somewhat in the same boat. Vehicle can be red flagged (there is a code I don't want to publish on the forum) to be delivered as an emergency/important vehicle. I am somewhat in the same boat as you. I planned a business trip this weekend to fly out (about 3 hour drive from the dealer) so my company could pay for the flight lol. Then I have a hotel and rental car setup to get me to pick up the fusion and drive it home. It's been sitting since 3/21 in Flatrock (less then an hour from the dealer) with an ETA of 3/26-4/1. Financing ends on 4/3... So if it doesn't show by 4/3, I lose out on the financing, I'm staying in a hotel longer with a rental car longer because we only bought a 1 way ticket.

I just sent an email to the shipper to find out if they can tell me whether it will be there by 4/1. Waiting on a response from them.

22. blwnsmoke

City, State:
      2011 Explorer Limited
      Transport company just emailed me back.. car will be delivered tomorrow lol.

May want to find out who the transport company is for your Ex and email them direct.

I emailed Jack Cooper who is one of the largest and they got back to me within an hour saying they weren't the contracted one and referred me to United Road. I emailed them 40 minutes ago and they just got back to me with the delivery date.

23. StevenC56

StevenC56 Member

City, State:
      Fresno, CA
      2017 Platinum