Should I buy 2013 or wait for 2014? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Should I buy 2013 or wait for 2014?

I love my 2013 Explorer. I know I have only had it one month but everything has worked perfectly. I love the My Sync and it has worked great. On hilly country roads I am averaging 23.7 mpg although my husband only gets 21.4. Fuel mileage calculated at fill up but the mileage shown in vehicle has been within .2 of the calculated mileage. I have enjoyed everything about this vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Or, worst case scenario, you buy a 93' Explorer and re-invest all the money you saved back into the truck and build the best first gen we've seen on this forum! And, as an added bonus, you would be left with plenty of walking around money for trips to the mountains!

All joking aside, it is great that you are looking at getting an Explorer! I hope the 2014 meets and exceeds your expectations :)

If you have any possibility of needing to rent a trailer, be aware that U-Haul will NOT rent any of their towable stock for use behind an Explorer of any year. There are not many other options available, particulaly if you want to do a one-way haul.

Huh! how come?:scratch:

I would advise waiting

I would not get an Explorer at all until they solve the burnt/sulpher smell that permeates the interior after brisk acceleration...in the V6 models at least. Mine is a 13 Limited and we like it a lot...with this one exception. That is a a big one though since we have no idea how dangerous the fumes are...and my wife has asthma. No fix from FORD on this serious issue yet.

Rodney Williams

Im wondering what your build date was because my 2013 was born on August 10th and I have no burning oil/sulphur smell on acceleration.

Im wondering what your build date was because my 2013 was born on August 10th and I have no burning oil/sulphur smell on acceleration.
I don't think build dates have anything to do with this issue. Mine was built Feb. 2011 and no problem either. It doesn't seem to be limited to particular years or models.

Peter

I'm waiting for a 2014 Limited or Sport model, trying to decide, but I have time.

Do you know if the EcoBoost will be an option on Limited's and XLT's in 2014? If so, I will likely wait since it is only available on the Sport which I don't like all the black over the chrome. I don't do a ton of towing but when I do some if the stuff is heavy and would require the extra HP. Any thoughts in this regard?

That information has not been released and wont be until a few months prior to the summer 13 release of the 2014 model.

In the conversations I have had with Ford people I have formed the opinion the EcoBoost V6 will stay exclusive to the SPORT.

What is a possibility is the 3.7L Lincoln V6 that they use in the Police Explorer making its way to the retail Explorer. Much better low end torque with almost the same MPG.

Do you know if the EcoBoost will be an option on Limited's and XLT's in 2014? If so, I will likely wait since it is only available on the Sport which I don't like all the black over the chrome. I don't do a ton of towing but when I do some if the stuff is heavy and would require the extra HP. Any thoughts in this regard?
The towing limit for the Sport and Limited is the same at 5000 lbs when equipped with the OEM towing package. You would only get the extra HP with the Sport if you use the recommended Premium fuel. Otherwise I'm assuming it wouldn't be much better than the Limited.

Peter

You would only get the extra HP with the Sport if you use the recommended Premium fuel. Otherwise I'm assuming it wouldn't be much better than the Limited.

Peter

That is not a reasonable assumption. The dealer filled my new Sport with 87 octane, and it has much more power than the XLTs that I test drove and a rental Edge that I drove for 1300 miles. The Sport has 75 more HP than the Limited. I have read that regular gas will reduce the output of the EB engine by about 4%, which would still leave it with far more power than a Limited.

That is not a reasonable assumption. The dealer filled my new Sport with 87 octane, and it has much more power than the XLTs that I test drove and a rental Edge that I drove for 1300 miles. The Sport has 75 more HP than the Limited. I have read that regular gas will reduce the output of the EB engine by about 4%, which would still leave it with far more power than a Limited.
I can't really argue the fact because I don't have the numbers using regular fuel. I just said that I assumed that because premium fuel is recommended for peak performance that the HP would not be much better. It could be a little better on regular than the Limited but I can't see buying a vehicle just for the occassional requirement, as the OP mentioned, for more horsepower when the Limited has the same towing capacity on regular gas. In my area, premium is about 60 cents a gallon (Imp) more than regular.
But one is free to chose whatever they want and spend whatever they want. After all it is their decision in the end and hopefully they will be happy with it.
Cheers.

Peter

The latest Ford Explore SUV has been a huge success in the market. Most buyers’ expectations were met by the vehicle; it is fun to drive and it fits the role of a family hauler perfectly. But there is a little problem, the design is old. So, what do you do to a product that has worn out the buyers? You strategize, add more features to attract new customers and repackage. This is similar to what they call rebooting in the movie industry and this was exactly what Ford did to the Explorer. Explorer fans should watch out, the 2014 Ford Explorer is going through a rebooting process and it will come out stronger and better; it is going to be awesome.
ADVERTISEMENT

In 2011, the Explorer was redesigned, and that was when it changed from a truck-based SUV to something more like a car; a crossover. 2014 ford explorer rumor has it that the automakers will likely introduce a modest update to the seven-passenger crossover SUV so as to keep it fresh. Modest, they said, so we should expect minor modifications to the styling. The interior of the Ford explorer 2014 model will be enhanced, and the front and rear ends will also receive some treatments. Some new features, new wheel designs and exterior colors, as well as more option packages may be offered. All in all, there will be no major revision, the current shape and dimensions are all expected to remain as it were.
From what we heard, the Ford Explorer 2014 model will be built with a 365 HP twin-turbocharged 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 engine with which the new Ford Taurus model makes 0 to 60 mph dash in just 5 seconds! According to the 2014 ford explorer rumor we heard, the EcoBoost V6 does not just offer plenty of horsepower it is also easy on fuel. The automaker will try to reach a balance between an all-out performance level and reasonable fuel economy. The target is believed to be 16 mpg in the city and 22 mpg on the highway which is an improvement on the 12/18 mpg offered by the more expensive Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 and the 13/20 mpg that is expected from the 5.7-L, Hemi V-8 Dodge Durango. Aside from the better fuel economy and satisfying performance of the 2014 Explorer, Ford will strengthen its chassis, make its brake rotors stronger, lowered its suspension, and ensure that the steering system feels faster.
The price has not been announced. There is something about the Explorer; it is unique and special. In my opinion, Ford is in a class of its own and the Explorer is right there with the best. I have driven a lot of cars and read about many but I believe few are built like the Ford Explorer. If you feel the same way about the Explorer as I do and you will like to get the 2014 Ford Explorer in your driveway, you may have to pay up to $40,700 for one.
Along with the expected smoother handling and an out-of-the-world suspension, if Ford achieves its plan to increase performance and improve the fuel economy, the 2014 Explorer will even be a bigger success than its predecessors.
SO I WOULD WAIT FOR THE 2014, I WILL BE GETTING ONE....!

Back