Should I go with FWD or wait for AWD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Should I go with FWD or wait for AWD

new to ford

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester Hills, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
11XLT202A 17Sport401A
Hello all, I am about to close on an '11 Explorer XLT with the rapid spec 202A, tow package and factory cross bars.
I have test driven the car and love it, the only lacking feature I am second guessing is the AWD... We drive 95% on highway, so I am on the fence if we really "need" the AWD or just "want" it?
We have never owned an AWD, we drive FWD passat wagon's currently and we have handled more or less fine the Michigan winters for almost ten years now...
Do people on the forum have FWD vehicles or is AWD king?
I don't mind spending the extra $2K for the AWD, but I don't know if I want to wait two months...
I am a little bit lost here, will the FWD be a dissapointment?, please help!
thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

going from fwd to awd will be the best thing you could do, the lack of torque steer and the sure footedness of it will be amazing to you,, and very confidence building,,
making you a better driver in the end,,

AWD - great when you need it, and there'll be times you wish you had gotten it if you don't!

I have the FWD and it great for us, we had an AWD Mercury Mountaineer before but the new EX is way better but also totally different. It depends on what you need it for, if we didn't have a 4wd vehicle or if we had a ton of snow then I might wait. It's all about what you need.

I am returning my AWD Equinox and picking up my FWD X tomorrow. We also debated quite extensively about this and came up with this conclusion. Living in the Toronto area, we didn't find we used the AWD that much, and with gas prices the way they are these days, FWD will be better on gas. Forking out the money for the AWD isn't the issue so much as how much more gas they burn. We knew someone with the exact same Equinox that we had but FWD drive and they were on average getting 100kms more per tank than we were. We do a lot of winter driving, including driving to the East Coast at Christmas and never found the AWD was used. We are going to buy really great snow tires for this explorer for those winter trips.

thanks all for your quick replies!
Ah, decisions, decisions:banghead::banghead:
How much different is the fuel consumption between FWD and AWD? I'll check ford.com

Well... I have had a Passat Wagon for the past eight years in Chicago winters. I've never had a problem with it (love that thing). Most of my driving has been a 50/50 mix of highway and around town. I placed an order for a FWD Ex and started having second thoughts. Then the snowstorm hit us. I seriously debated another week and then changed my order to 4WD. My second-guessing and worrying went away, so, I know I made the right decision for me.

It's not that 4WD cars don't get stuck in the snow. They can. But, from what I was reading the ability of the all-terrain system to handle ice and snow and wet will significantly out-perform the FWD. Also, a few people on FB indicated that they test drove both in the snow and there was no comparison between the two, and they went with the 4WD.

Now, you'll read that quality winter tires on a FWD will be the same as 4WD with all-season tires. But, that necessitates having two sets of tires and that doesn't really work for me. Also, someone on another board posted some interesting info on the all-terrain system and why it's different from the basic AWD. I'll try and find that for you.

I would hate being caught in a snowstorm on the highway, or anywhere, and regret not having spent the $2K.

Just my two cents.

thanks all for your quick replies!
Ah, decisions, decisions:banghead::banghead:
How much different is the fuel consumption between FWD and AWD? I'll check ford.com

Around town is the same, but you lose two mpg with 4WD (25mpg FWD vs. 23 4WD).

thanks all, I think we will stick to the FWD and take delivery on Friday!
I just hope the explorer turns out to be as good as my current daily driver '99 passat wagon with 198,000 miles.

Congrats. I highly doubt you'll be disappointed. Enjoy!

Even in Atlanta, where we get only a few inches of snow every other year, I think I'm going to opt for the 4WD. This past January where we had Hothlanta here, I witnessed a number of neighbors not being able to make it up the hill in our neighborhood - which was kinda sad. Especially the SUV's, which just turned out to be over sized cars w/o the 4WD option.

To each their own though. We do have family in Chicago and on the Atlantic coast so I'm pretty confident it will come in handy at some point.

AWD isn't really needed if you're just going to be on the road all the time and not going offroading. If highway is 95%, then just get a FWD, better MPGs that way and less wait for a AWD since orders take so long.

Well... I have had a Passat Wagon for the past eight years in Chicago winters. I've never had a problem with it (love that thing). Most of my driving has been a 50/50 mix of highway and around town. I placed an order for a FWD Ex and started having second thoughts. Then the snowstorm hit us. I seriously debated another week and then changed my order to 4WD. My second-guessing and worrying went away, so, I know I made the right decision for me.

It's not that 4WD cars don't get stuck in the snow. They can. But, from what I was reading the ability of the all-terrain system to handle ice and snow and wet will significantly out-perform the FWD. Also, a few people on FB indicated that they test drove both in the snow and there was no comparison between the two, and they went with the 4WD.

Now, you'll read that quality winter tires on a FWD will be the same as 4WD with all-season tires. But, that necessitates having two sets of tires and that doesn't really work for me. Also, someone on another board posted some interesting info on the all-terrain system and why it's different from the basic AWD. I'll try and find that for you.

I would hate being caught in a snowstorm on the highway, or anywhere, and regret not having spent the $2K.

Just my two cents.

That's why I'm going to get a set of Blizzaks for my 4WD X. My Dad has a New Taurus with AWD, and it stuck to the road...but with Blizzaks, he can't get a tire to spin in an 8" snowfall.....That makes my decision EASY!

I know the OP decided, but I have two cents here for someone searching later.

For me, I went AWD simply for the management system. The FWD would likely be fine for many people, but I like that there are modes (namely snow for what I expect my explorer to deal with) that adjust traction control, torque delivery, etc.

Two more words of advice:

1) Resale
2) Value

thanks all, I think we will stick to the FWD and take delivery on Friday!
I just hope the explorer turns out to be as good as my current daily driver '99 passat wagon with 198,000 miles.

Hey New to Ford!

Welcome to the Ford family! This is Seni with Ford Customer Service. I would like to congratulate you on your upcoming purchase. It is my pleasure to be a presence in this forum and do my best to provide timely, applicable information. Please take note that I am available for you, if you run across any questions or concerns. Enjoy your new Explorer! I do believe you will be very pleased with the FWD.

Seni

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey New to Ford!

Welcome to the Ford family! This is Seni with Ford Customer Service. I would like to congratulate you on your upcoming purchase. It is my pleasure to be a presence in this forum and do my best to provide timely, applicable information. Please take note that I am available for you, if you run across any questions or concerns. Enjoy your new Explorer! I do believe you will be very pleased with the FWD.

Seni

Seni, thanks for your kind words and support.

Back