Show us your custom bumper photos!! | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Show us your custom bumper photos!!

What size tubing do you guys use for your bumpers? Looking at pricing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know my my rear bumper is 2"x3" 3/16" wall..

I "think" my front bumper is actually the same as I don't think I would have used 1/8" wall tubing...

~Mark

My rear bumper is made mostly out of a old structural beam; 7x7" 1/4" thick, cut with a plasma to match the rear of the OEM bumper. The sides were added later and are 1.25", 120 wall DOM with the open area filled with 1/8" plate. The tire and gas can carrier main pieces are out of 1.5" square tubing, 3/16" wall.

Front bumper is 3/16" plate, except for the center section where the frame and winch mounts are, which is 1/4" plate. Light hoop is 1.5" 120 wall tubing.

Most bumpers made completely out of tubing will be 120 wall DOM, 1.5-2.0" ID. It is a good blend of strength, rigidity and light weight that would suit most needs.

What size tubing do you guys use for your bumpers? Looking at pricing.

i used 2x6 with 3/16 wall and 1/4 plate for mounts 1 3/4 centerhoop with 3/16 wall 1 1/2 1/8 wall tube brushguardhoop
of course a few people mentioned i was making a battering ram not a bumper one thing i found was ordering 24' lenghths was cheaper than ordering 10' cuts

newfrontbumper3.jpg

newfrontbumper1.jpg

search for posts by brian1 his red ex rocks

Actually, Brian1 is Tan-brown 2 toned.
[MENTION=74322]Jeffbethandkidz[/MENTION] has a very sweet bumper on his dark red 1st gen. Hopefully he will pop in.

Still here. Just can't remember how to post pictures to this site.

5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Mine I just built

Last edited:

Mine I just built

Looks good but you should add some tubes going from the bottom to the outer bends/corners where it wraps around the truck, It would make the bumper a lot stronger.

update to bumper starting on roofrack

7.jpg
8.jpg

getting set to fabricate a safari roofrack testing lightbar location and the finished front and rear bumpers.

i dont like the scale of the LEDs i put in the front bumper so gonna get a 12" lightbar i think or 2 7" LEDS not sure what do you guys think?

tire%20mount.jpg

test%20for%20olight%20bar%20clearance.jpg

i dont like the scale of the LEDs i put in the front bumper so gonna get a 12" lightbar i think or 2 7" LEDS not sure what do you guys think?

I would do a 20" or whatever fills the middle section of your bumper.

As far as I know, I don't think there is a company that produces them. It would have to be custom built. RLC on here makes a really nice looking plate bumper though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks really nice. It looks like the one Loren built for me. I wish I had the skills (equipment and time).

Back