Show us your custom bumper photos!! | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Show us your custom bumper photos!!

My new front bumper....Not on the truck yet :rolleyes: Also there will be some more mods to it.

122872.jpg

12287On_2.jpg

stic-o did you make this or did you buy this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well figured i might as well throw my pics of mine up there, Doesn't have the skid installed yet.....
Picture016-1.jpg
Picture017-1.jpg
Picture018.jpg

Duff.JPG
Roller Fairlead.JPG
Grill-Winch.JPG
Modified Duff

Nothing too spectacular here - - bought the Duff Pre-Runner bumper in '97, covered it in LineX; major modification was adding the winch in '02 by cutting the main bumper tube and inserting a Ramsey REP 8000 between the frame rails. Added mesh screening behind the grill to clean up the whole front end.

This is what i started with
ex006.jpg

Building up the guard
ex007.jpg

Sprayed on the paint
ex008.jpg

Finished product.... took me three days to get to this point
ex009.jpg

This is actually the first project I ever made using the arc welder. I am really happy with it. The steel I used was definitely thick enough if not too thick, but i built it to be used! Just dont pull out in front of me.... my abs doesn't work!:eek:

2008-09-19 005.JPG
Here is my new front bumper, also sporting the new B/F A/T K/O's...

The winch is in the back, the bumper isn't complete as of yet.

I like the looks of yours wood happen to have any more pictures??

looks like what id like to fab up for my sploder this winter

kind of has the road armor look to it

2008-09-19 004.JPG
whitetrash_bumper.jpg
I am going to mount the winch on the front bumper, but the bumper has to be further reinforced with 1/4 plate. I ran out of time so it'll have to wait for now.

I bought a big piece of 3/16 steel, 8 feet long, at a metal working shop that builds and repairs fishing boats. They have a huge press-brake. I had them bend it 90 degrees for the top and front, then the angle on the bottom (I'd have to measure it). I had a fellow here do the rest. He left the center straight, then cut "pie cuts" out of it wherever he wanted to put an angle. He did the same on the ends where it comes back towards the tires. The brackets are 1/4 plate and there is a bracket on both sides of each frame snout. 2 coats of Tremclad flat black from a can and there you have it.

Like I said, we ran out of time because we are in the process of moving, the Ex has been handed over to a shipping company now so additional pics and measurements will have to wait for a while. I will have to complete it at a later date but I am very pleased with what I have at this stage.

I only have one other picture on the lap-top here it is along with Whitetrash's bumper (stolen earlier in this thread) that I copied. I couldn't find anything that I liked more than his.

I think I will most likely try to mount the winch so that it is similar to his, sunken into the grill.

Thanks for the positive comments guys.

Thanks Whitetrash!

I would box those tow points as they look a little thin in the front for pulling an Explorer. My tow points in the front are 1" wide by 2" high solid steel. Then I put 5/8" plate gussets on top and bottom to tie them into the bumper better. I would hate to have a strap or winch wire come loose and fly through someone's windshield.

It's a piece of I-beam. I know it's not 1/2" thick steel, but I think it should hold. There's quite a bit of surface area after the hole I drilled. Thanks for the thought though.

image_00001.jpg
I would box those tow points as they look a little thin in the front for pulling an Explorer. My tow points in the front are 1" wide by 2" high solid steel. Then I put 5/8" plate gussets on top and bottom to tie them into the bumper better. I would hate to have a strap or winch wire come loose and fly through someone's windshield.

Ya, tow points aren't something to under build. These will be welded to my bumper in the next few days. I still need to drill the hole out to 7/8" as it is 3/4 right now. It is laser cut 3/4" thick plate.

Ya, tow points aren't something to under build. These will be welded to my bumper in the next few days. I still need to drill the hole out to 7/8" as it is 3/4 right now. It is laser cut 3/4" thick plate.
That's what I'm talking about. Beefy is better. Are you going to cut out the bumper so you can weld them inside and out? That is what I did with mine.

408GT; An I beam is a structual piece used to carry heavy loads throughout its length. They do not bend or flex very much up, down, or side to side so they make good building supports, but are not designed for what you are using it for. I imagine there is a good amount of mud where you plan on wheelin. The suction alone from a good mud puddle can triple the weight of your truck and that I-beam does not even look to be more than 1/4" thick. I bet the first good straight pull on that I-beam will rip it out at the thin spot. At least box it in with some thicker stock to the front and sides so it spreads the pressure out. It would not be too much more work, and would make it real strong. I am just going on about this because I worry about people getting hurt or killed when stuff comes apart.
Nice clean welds by the way.:thumbsup:

On my front bumper tow points, I was not even comfortable with them welded on the outside so I welded them through the bumper on all sides, and to the bumper mounts, then recently added gussets to where they stick out to tie them in with the plate part of the bumper better. I also use them as tow points when I flat tow my rig behind the RV. The gussets are 3/8" thick. I shaped them so there would not be any hard impact if I hit them while climbing up a ledge or large rock.

DSCF0759_Medium_.JPG

DSCF0761_Medium_.JPG

DSCF0763_Medium_.JPG

Need help

I saw how yall built your custom bumpers. I was wondering if anyone could build one, like the one on post #131(the numer in the right corner) or the on at the top of page 5, but for a 1999 ford ranger. If so please email me and we will work out a payment

408GT; An I beam is a structual piece used to carry heavy loads throughout its length. They do not bend or flex very much up, down, or side to side so they make good building supports, but are not designed for what you are using it for. I imagine there is a good amount of mud where you plan on wheelin. The suction alone from a good mud puddle can triple the weight of your truck and that I-beam does not even look to be more than 1/4" thick. I bet the first good straight pull on that I-beam will rip it out at the thin spot. At least box it in with some thicker stock to the front and sides so it spreads the pressure out. It would not be too much more work, and would make it real strong. I am just going on about this because I worry about people getting hurt or killed when stuff comes apart.
Nice clean welds by the way.:thumbsup:

Yeah I understand what you're saying. Thanks for the advise, and I'll try to redesign it for a tension force. :salute:

The '92s bumpers

Here's the channel iron bumpers on my '92. They are both built from 9" channel with plates on the back to bolt to the factory location. Both have a receiver tube built in and gussetted from the back. The front has robot cut holes for the fog lights, and the rear has a triangle frame tire carrier. I don't have a great picture of the rear. I'll try to get another one up when the truck is all back together.

front bumper.jpg

cleaned.jpg

RTI%20Ramp.JPG

P1010007.jpg
I saw how yall built your custom bumpers. I was wondering if anyone could build one, like the one on post #131(the numer in the right corner) or the on at the top of page 5, but for a 1999 ford ranger. If so please email me and we will work out a payment

If you like that style, kennesaw makes them. kenmtnac.com
Here's my bumper I bought from them.

Thanks for that link! I've been trying to find a winch bumper for my 00 ranger and I can't weld to save my life.

Were they willing to ship that or did you drive to GA to pick it up?

And small world. I'm in the Cordova area.

Thanks for that link! I've been trying to find a winch bumper for my 00 ranger and I can't weld to save my life.

Were they willing to ship that or did you drive to GA to pick it up?

And small world. I'm in the Cordova area.

Your welcome! Yea they shipped it no problems. Its ALOT cheaper to ship to a business address rather than a home address so I had them ship it to cooper transportation(which they recommended) and I picked it up at their warehouse.

We should definately meet up sometime, do you ever go to the bottoms?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yea we should.

No, don't really make it out to the bottoms. I'm runnin bald 265/75/16 ATs now so their not much good for mud. Mostly just trail riding with the Midsouth Jeeps club and some light wheelin on my own. It's my daily driver so it's tough to get too hardcore with it.

Back