Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Sitcoms' 1999 Explorer Sport 4x4 SOHC v6

Discussion in 'Explorer Registry' started by Sitcoms, June 3, 2015.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. slaughterrt

slaughterrt Active Member

City, State:
      Old Bridge, NJ
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2011 Explorer XLT
      Good luck. I have a 99 XLT and I have been delaying replacing the fuel pump for over a year. Truck starts fine when the weather is above freezing. But as soon as it hits around 30 or below, it's a bit of a pain to get it started. Fortunately, it has never NOT started eventually. I know the pump has to be replaced but it's usually winter when I get that reminder. Probably just cut an access through the floor as opposed to dropping the tank. One day (hopefully a nice day) I will replace it and be good to go. Good luck with yours. It's a very clean looking Sport.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Sitcoms

Sitcoms Active Member

City, State:
      Rhode Island
      1999 Explorer Sport
      As I posted before, brought her down to a local shop in town and he tested everything and said fuel pressure was fine but the battery was running low. Replaced it with a brand new one, but now today I went out to start her and it's the same old same old.. won't start but will crank up. I just kinda attribute this to old car + EXTREME cold (Was around 2F when I tried it).

She's fairly clean.. got her scratches and dents and her rusty rockers.. but she does what she needs to do.. most of the time.

4. slaughterrt

City, State:
      Old Bridge, NJ
      2011 Explorer XLT
      Yeah, I totally understand. My truck would do the same thing in the cold weather. It would crank but not start. It never left me stranded, as usually after a few attempts, it would start. I would have to feather the gas pedal for a minute or so until it heated up.

However, since I installed the new pump and filter, the Ex has started up first try every time. And it's colder than it was when I installed the pump (talking about low single digits). The pump install went as good as I expected and the results were well worth it for piece of mind and reliability.

Edit: I replaced my fuel pump, strainer and fuel filter on Friday (Feb 12) and here is a small write up for cutting the access panel (as opposed to dropping the tank). Food for thought.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=441089

5. Sitcoms

Sitcoms Active Member

City, State:
      Rhode Island
      1999 Explorer Sport
      thanks for posting the link. Hopefully sooner rather than later it'll get done.

Tried to start it today (Current temperature at 1:27 pm is -9F here in Vermont) and it tries to crank but you just hear the pulley & other things making screeching sounds and not really working at all.

6. slaughterrt

City, State:
      Old Bridge, NJ
      2011 Explorer XLT
      Can you hear the fuel pump trying to prime? It's a low hummmm that comes from behind the driver side rear (from the gas tank obviously). If you can hear it hummm, then you know it's priming. What I would do when I was having the issue...I would key up the ignition (not to the point of cranking it, but to the point of being able to hear the fuel pump prime). If I heard the fuel pump prime, then I would go ahead and try to crank it. 99% of the time the vehicle would start if I could hear he pump prime. I would just keep keying up the ignition and wait to hear the pump prime. I would be good to go. I had been delaying replacing the pump for some time, mainly because I didn't want to drop the tank. However, I finally got the funds and time to do it. Haven't had a problem starting it since (knock on wood).

7. Sitcoms

Sitcoms Active Member

City, State:
      Rhode Island
      1999 Explorer Sport
      Yup, I hear it prime and have for a while. It starts perfectly fine when it's not EXTREMELY cold, but oh well.

8. slaughterrt

City, State:
      Old Bridge, NJ
      2011 Explorer XLT
      Yeah that was the same with mine. The pump would function fine in temperatures that weren't horribly cold. The truck would start up fine as well. However, when it's extremely cold, like now, the pump doesn't work as effectively. From what I understand, the brushes in the motor wear out over time. In the extreme cold, the worn down brushes do not make a good contact, therefore the motor does not work. During the normal temperatures, the brushes make contact. This explains why the pump won't function in the extreme cold. At least this was the case in my truck.

9. Sitcoms

Sitcoms Active Member

City, State:
      Rhode Island
      1999 Explorer Sport
      Haven't posted a picture of her in a bit. Fuel pump still needs to be done and I think I've got the beginnings of the timing chain death rattle. The problem with being a college student in an extremely cold weather area - no money for parts & no where to work on her if I could! Hopefully once we get some better weather some more stuff can be done to her.
      [​IMG]

10. Sitcoms

Sitcoms Active Member

City, State:
      Rhode Island
      1999 Explorer Sport
      Finished off the backlighting of my instrument cluster. Excuse the piss poor picture quality.
      [​IMG]

11. Sitcoms

Sitcoms Active Member

City, State:
      Rhode Island
      1999 Explorer Sport
      Update: Timing chain rattle continues, and now the CEL has come one. assuming it's just an O2 sensor since it still starts and runs the same. Will have codes read soon.

12. Sitcoms

Sitcoms Active Member

City, State:
      Rhode Island
      1999 Explorer Sport
      Codes have been read, and as I guessed it's Bank 1 sensor 1, which hopefully will just require me to replace the 02 sensor there. Shouldn't be too bad. Engine will still need to be pulled for the damn timing chains though.. Also probably going to fix my rockers and dog legs as they've literally become paper thin.

13. Fordman4eva

Fordman4eva New Member

City, State:
      Gaston, NC
      '94 EB Sport 4x4
      I feel you on that death rattle. I had two 99 Sports and one 97. The 99s held up well but that damn 97 let go about 3 months after I got it. Put a used SOHC in it and that didn't even make it out of the shop the chain snapped. Put one last one in and sold the crap out of that. That broke me from getting another SOHC Sport. Sweet vehicles other than that.

14. Sitcoms

Sitcoms Active Member

City, State:
      Rhode Island
      1999 Explorer Sport
      I wish these SOHCs weren't so prone to it. I'm not gunna risk it with a used SOHC - I'm going to take the time and do the chains and water pump myself.

15. Fordman4eva

Fordman4eva New Member

City, State:
      Gaston, NC
      '94 EB Sport 4x4
      I don't blame you there. When I had that '97 I didn't fully understand the problem with the chains.

16. Sitcoms

Sitcoms Active Member

City, State:
      Rhode Island
      1999 Explorer Sport
      I don't get around to posting as much as I should but a little update. All is not good.
      Timing chain guides are going soon. They're so loud before the ex warms up. Literally shaking the car from the vibrating. RPMs while idling at a stop like are only at like 600ish.
      Replaced Bank 1 Sensor 1 O2 to resolve CEL, and then it popped back on after about 50 miles for the second O2 Sensor.
      Someone broke the glass covering my fog light on my drivers side. Either a rock popped up while on the highway and smashed it or something.

May have finally found the source of the rattling noise underneath.. Looked at one of the exhaust clamps and it was loose as all hell.

17. Sitcoms

Sitcoms Active Member

City, State:
      Rhode Island
      1999 Explorer Sport
    18. Sitcoms

Sitcoms Active Member

City, State:
      Rhode Island
      1999 Explorer Sport
      Light bar (22 inch) installed behind the grill.
      [​IMG]

19. Sitcoms

Sitcoms Active Member

City, State:
      Rhode Island
      1999 Explorer Sport
      Might be getting to the end of the Explorer. Timing chains still rattling, who know how long they'll last. Power Door Locks have completely gone on all doors. Unlock/Lock button doesn't work at all, neither on my key fob or the doors themselves. When you hit lock twice the horn sounds but the doors do not actually lock. Also, because of this problems, I can't open my back hatch. The key will go in, but will not turn the lock at all, and I need that back hatch badly.

20. Sitcoms

Sitcoms Active Member

City, State:
      Rhode Island
      1999 Explorer Sport
      So there's a broken wire somewhere that's causing the fuse for my power door locks to blow every time. I just don't have the time to fix it right now.
      Still one hell of a squeak when turning right at all though. Not sure what it is.

21. FPGT24

FPGT24 Eat, sleep, breathe Explorers

City, State:
      Hagerstown, MD
      1997 Explorer XLT SOHC
      This "hard start/no start" issue is 100% your intake plenum gaskets, a NOTORIOUS issue with the 4.0 SOHC V6 in the 97-01 years. I'm surprised no one has said that yet. I've owned over 50 of them and I've had several that had the no start/hard start in cold weather and rough idle once started, it was always the intake plenum gaskets leaking. Replace them and your motor will start like new. It's not a hard job at all. And as far as the chain death rattle, using synthetic oil (I usually use Supertech synthetic) along with Lucas oil stabilizer and Motorkote will all greatly extend the life of the chains and tensioners.

22. chefduane

chefduane Texas Elite Explorer Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Plano, TX.
      None: SOLD 9/16
      FP, you beat me to it! The SOHC upper/lower intake manifold gaskets are known to shrink over time and eventually not maintain the plenum seal. In cold weather they remain shrunk and you will throw a vacuum code. Symptoms are hard cold starts and rough idle - if she remains running at all! Heck, I'm in DFW and was getting hard cold starts. Man, it gets down to upper 20's here occasionally! Brrrrr!! Changed the upper AND lower mani gaskets and all was fine. No more hard starts or rough idle.

I also have some chain rattle, not real bad tho. I did find some cassette guide chunks in my pan. See attached pix.
      I have been running Mobil-1 full syn with a Mobil-1 Extended Performance filter. 211k miles so far and about 15k since
      I found the guide cassette damage.

GuideParts1.jpg

GuideParts2.jpg

23. Sitcoms

Sitcoms Active Member

City, State:
      Rhode Island
      1999 Explorer Sport
      @FPGT24 and @chefduane thanks for the info guys. I've been running full synthetic since I got the truck, and I've had the rattle for nearly 8k miles now, still running, at least as of now.

And I didn't even know about the issue with the manifold gaskets. I'll have to look into it when I get some more time (My classes just started up for the semester). Anyways, as I said, thanks for the info guys!

24. Sitcoms

Sitcoms Active Member

City, State:
      Rhode Island
      1999 Explorer Sport
      I've really neglected and haven't put much towards the Explorer since I got back to school. Only put probably 250 miles on it since the beginning of September, just haven't really needed it and when I do use it, it's just for the 15-20 minute ride into town. Timing chain guides are slowly getting louder, not a good sign, but overall she's still running.

25. Sitcoms

Sitcoms Active Member

City, State:
      Rhode Island
      1999 Explorer Sport
      Just as @FPGT24 said, continued hard start/no start in cold weather has reared it's ugly head back up. Looks like I'm going to have to do those plenum gaskets ASAP, I can't not have a vehicle up here in Vermont for the winter.

The Explorer might be getting sold soon though.

26. Sitcoms

Sitcoms Active Member

City, State:
      Rhode Island
      1999 Explorer Sport
      Has surprisingly started well, but it's really getting time to move on. But for now, a picture of explorers doing explorer things.
      [​IMG]