Sloped body lift + SOA successful | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sloped body lift + SOA successful

Hey you mind telling me how you bent the bracket on the left side of the frame down? Did you heat it up? I cant get mine to move with all 260 pounds of me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey you mind telling me how you bent the bracket on the left side of the frame down? Did you heat it up? I cant get mine to move with all 260 pounds of me.

maybe mine was more rusted then yours, I didn't heat it up, i just pulled hard on it and it came down.

hmmm yeah there is not a spec of rust on mine and im affraid to heat it up very much. It looks like I might have enough slack in that line so maybe i can get away with out bending it. ill see when I get it all together,

i wouldn't give up on it too quickly, it would really suck to snap that rubber line. I think they sell extended brake lines you could use instead. Otherwise maybe cut the edges of the bracket so it isn't so difficult to bend.

I got her finished...
picture.php

For those of you with second gens that are thinking about the superlift kit you have to flip the sway bar upside down and grind a little bit off the shock mounts on the new brackets. thanks for your help nick:thumbsup:

would removing the overload spring up the chances of warping your leaf springs caused by axle wrap? After only about 100 miles of driving my springs are warped. Then again they are ten years old, have 163,000 miles on them and Ive probably trashed them on the trails. Yours are holding up fine huh?

would removing the overload spring up the chances of warping your leaf springs caused by axle wrap? After only about 100 miles of driving my springs are warped. Then again they are ten years old, have 163,000 miles on them and Ive probably trashed them on the trails. Yours are holding up fine huh?

i used 7 inch anti-wrap perches, those superlift perches might be a little higher and shorter which will cause more wrap. Mine are holding up fine.

how did u caculate where to weld the new perches on? im doing this with my 94 Xlt and was just curious...and do u know if the dimensions are the same for a 1st gen as is yours (4 door)

how did u caculate where to weld the new perches on? im doing this with my 94 Xlt and was just curious...and do u know if the dimensions are the same for a 1st gen as is yours (4 door)

I'm not sure about a 1st gen but I think so. As for where to weld them I just lined them up with the perches below them and made them parallel using a level solid axles and leaf springs aren't too precise.

Yep, those look good, just make sure they are for 3 1/4" when you order them, otherwise you have to grind them until the fit.

yea in the description of those it says they fit 3 - 3 1/4 inch axles.... due to the 1/16th inch tabs on each side...simple grind no biggy! thanks for the help

this is so freakin sweet i am so going to do this just need some blocks possibly fab my own got a buddy that can weld really good and can fab almost anything nick do you have the exact measurements for the body lift spacers you cut i aint so good at math. and about how long did it take you. and were are the flex pics man:roll:

well i did the exact same thing with mine...3" sloped body lift and 2" spacers up front and SOA in the rear! and here are some pics of mine...my body is damaged a bit more than most i've seen on here but im fixing her up..I recieved so much critisism about doing this and was told no many many times but now its working fine and i love it i obviously just need to Up size from the BALD 30 x 9.5 tires i have on it now hoping to get 33 x 10.5 with stock rims. does anyone know if 33x11.5 would clear this without rubbing or would i need to do more mods to get the wider tires not to rub? and also fyi in those pics the jack stands are not making contact with the frame rail (i just pushed them inward to lower and take the pic and then jacked them back up to do other work to it ) the truck is fully on its tires

10-16-09_1422.jpg

10-16-09_1423.jpg

l_18d63d1d5c564e15a734f47a229ec3d9.jpg

sorry forgot bout the mesurements how long did it take u to do it all

sorry forgot bout the mesurements how long did it take u to do it all

well i cant really give u an exact time frame since i did it on a major tight budget and then waiting for diff parts and bolts and what not plus where the truck sits in the pics is where everything was done and i got rained on quite ofter lol! but taking my time and also re building the rear end it prolly worked itself into about 6 hours of actually wrenching and what not i had most of my issues with body bolts not coming out and breaking but that rough time frame i gave you also included replacing the shackles and all of the bushings in the leaf springs and i didnt have the luxuries of air...just good old elbow grease! it wasnt all that difficult..body bolts and making the stud extender that came with the 2" coil spacers work consumed most of my time you can find more pics of what i've done mostly related to this here

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=305861&id=770875320&l=d4193b171e

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well i did the exact same thing with mine...3" sloped body lift and 2" spacers up front and SOA in the rear! and here are some pics of mine...my body is damaged a bit more than most i've seen on here but im fixing her up..I recieved so much critisism about doing this and was told no many many times but now its working fine and i love it i obviously just need to Up size from the BALD 30 x 9.5 tires i have on it now hoping to get 33 x 10.5 with stock rims. does anyone know if 33x11.5 would clear this without rubbing or would i need to do more mods to get the wider tires not to rub? and also fyi in those pics the jack stands are not making contact with the frame rail (i just pushed them inward to lower and take the pic and then jacked them back up to do other work to it ) the truck is fully on its tires

cool! glad to see another person successfully did it. I had plenty of doubters but I've now installed this on my second truck and probably put near 100K combined on it with no problems including a few off-road miles.

Back