Sloped body lift + SOA successful | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sloped body lift + SOA successful

I'm trying to get the parts together for this lift. Is there anyone in the Hampton Roads, VA area that can help me do this lift once I have the parts. All I need is the Perches and possibly a spacer and I'm ready. Oh yeah I have a 99 sport too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Hokie, PM me your address again.. I accidently deleted it because Iv'e been getting tons of PM's laltely cause I'm selling stuff. Sorry its taken so long, I'll mail those couple blocks to you asap. thats all you said you needed right?

DominicanX said:
I'm trying to get the parts together for this lift. Is there anyone in the Hampton Roads, VA area that can help me do this lift once I have the parts. All I need is the Perches and possibly a spacer and I'm ready. Oh yeah I have a 99 sport too.

what parts do you still need?

Well i have Leaf springs, The body kit is coming monday (I have no idea how I'm going to cut it down though), the Perches are coming next week. And I"M debating whether I should by the spacers for the driveshaft.

Know of anyone that could help?

DominicanX said:
Well i have Leaf springs, The body kit is coming monday (I have no idea how I'm going to cut it down though), the Perches are coming next week. And I"M debating whether I should by the spacers for the driveshaft.

Know of anyone that could help?
i'd hold off on the driveshaft spacers for now... wait till you see how bad it vibrates if at all. Do you plan to use the rear most peg hole in the perch like we talked about in this thread? I just used a circular saw with a regular wood blade on it to cut the spacers and that worked fine for me. For straighter, safer, cut use a ban saw, chop saw, or table saw but don't even bother trying to cut them by hand. Sorry don't know anyone who could help... you'll be fine doing it yourself, I did mine myself in like 2 days taking my time and I split up the body lift install part with the SOA part on the 2nd day. Otherwise just get a buddy to lend a hand even if they aren't a mechanic it doesn't matter, it just helps having a second set of hands.
good luck

Nick26 said:
i'd hold off on the driveshaft spacers for now... wait till you see how bad it vibrates if at all. k

Id still get the Driveshaft spacer. When i did my SOA, i forgot to lengthen the driveshaft and it destroyed the yoke, causing my tranny to become worthless and had to rebuild it. Save the $$ in the long run and get one. Although i had 3" spindle lift too. so i dont know if youll need it. and with the SOA. Just make sure you dont move the back axle around a lot. Measure it a lot and then place the perches. If its off center the car will move when you drive.

The only problem is I don't have the means to weld the perches on. is there anyway you could help me with any of this lift "GooseR"

Nick26 said:
all of our axle tubes are 3.25"

where can i find some spring perches.. looked all over the net.. maybe i am looking in the wrong places.

zhanx said:
where can i find some spring perches.. looked all over the net.. maybe i am looking in the wrong places.

said that right on the first page....

Nick26 said:
bought them here: http://www.mountainoffroad.com/more.htm -but remember these have to be drilled, maybe they'll do that for you if you ask when you order them, I didn't know this in advance.

hi nick 26, i remember your first thread you posted about the sloped b\l and soa,, i also remember all the negative comments that people made,, well all i can say to them is SUCKED IN!,, great to see you went ahead and did it anyway,,im sure you would have made it safe considering your ass is sitn in it!!! When someone does something like this it gets everyone elces brains ticking and wanting to try stuff themselves. When i made my own 2"B\L my friends told me i was crazy, i made it with stronger products and at a cheaper price than what it would cost to buy and ship to OZ, good on ya mate!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

yeah, i checked out the torsion bars and found the passengers side was in the wrong way! when i first bought it 2years ago i got under there to have a look and saw that one of the adjuster bolts was wound up more than the other, since i was a noob to the world of Xs i didnt worry about it.everything iv done to my X i learned from the internet,,believe it or not but Xs are only just starting to become popular here,,,,there are toyotas everywere you look!. do you nthink il get 33s on my truck without trimming??

with only 4" of lift I don't think you'll be able to do it without trimming... I have 32x11.5 with 3.75 basckspacing and I still had to trim a good amount up front... especially when I disconnected the sway bar and the wheels really up traveled. I had to kinda roll in the inner fender piece and remove some of the pinch weld then in front I cut a angle off the bumper. I can get you some pics if your interested, trimming wasn't all that bad, you really can't even tell from looking at mine I think.

yes please post some pics, because i was going to try and squeeze 33's in too

yeah man it would be great to see some piks! the 265s i have on there now look way too small for the amount of lift i got.those 33s look wicked. will i hve to get the gear ratio changed?

Update, I've got the raked body lift in. Twisted the torsion bars down to level the truck until I do the SOA. Tha perches are welded on and the tires are mounted on the rims. All I need is a nice day and alittle help to complete it. Then I will post picks of my X!

About how much does all this cost?

Just trying to compare a custom kit versus say spending like $1700 for the 4" superlift kit (front only) then doing a TT & 6" lift leafs in the back.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yea cause the superlift kit is like $1700. Id just have to go over to the 4wheel shop to get all of it installed cause I dont have or know how to weld.

Back