• Register Today It's free!

Slowly building up my budget!

mksu19

Reaction score
City, State
Bay Area, Cali
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Eddie Bauer/'08 M3
Anyone here knows of where I could get a cheap 2" complete body lift for a 91 X? How much am I looking at to get it installed? I can only budget that for now and maybe my 31 TSL's. I wouldn't mind buying a good used set of 31's (prefferably a TSL) from someone here too. BTW, Im in the Burnaby/Metrotown area. Thanks guys and gals!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's gotta be something doable... lotta people here from Vancouver. Any recommendations?

Anyone!?

If you put up a wanted ad here on the website and collect 2" lift pucks that people have left over from doing it themselves you can probably do it pretty cheap since you don't need the steering extension for a 2" bl. (some people get the bodylift for a ranger for there explorer and have a few pucks left)

You could also find someone with a metal shop and price out what a 2" long chunk of aluminum with a hole in it would cost?

Instead of the body lift ever consider coils spacers and an add-a-leaf in the rear?

Thanks for the link! :D

If you put up a wanted ad here on the website and collect 2" lift pucks that people have left over from doing it themselves you can probably do it pretty cheap since you don't need the steering extension for a 2" bl. (some people get the bodylift for a ranger for there explorer and have a few pucks left)

You could also find someone with a metal shop and price out what a 2" long chunk of aluminum with a hole in it would cost?

Sounds good, maybe I'll stop by the local metal shop and inquire. Thanks! :D

Instead of the body lift ever consider coils spacers and an add-a-leaf in the rear?

Do you know of a place in Van City where I could run in and inquire? Thanks! :D

You dont think it'll look funny with just a 2" lift and 31" tires would you? I mean, I was able to source some nice used (and cheap!) 15X8 (3.75) Baja wheels for the X. Then Im gonna look at a slightly used 31" thornbird later. Is there anyone here that is currently running a 2" lift with 31" tires on rims with 3.75" backspace that has pics posted? Please!!!? :D

Are you looking for the 2" lift for more clearance or to clear the tires?

My X is near stock and I'm running 31"s with next to no rubbing issues.

Are you looking for the 2" lift for more clearance or to clear the tires?

My X is near stock and I'm running 31"s with next to no rubbing issues.

Well the tires are a bit wider 12.5". I will be using an 8" rim with 3.75 backspace. I was at a 4X4 shop in Surrey earlier and spoke to a tech, he says that in order for me to run the Thornbirds I would have to lift my X atleast 3". So I guess I will either just get a 3" body lift for my ride.

A 3" lift w/31s, your tires will look dinky, wide, but tiny.

A 3" lift w/31s, your tires will look dinky, wide, but tiny.

So a 2" spring spacers and add-a-leaf then? Do you think I'd have problems with the wide tire (12.5") making contact with anything during full lock turns?

Ok, I read all of these threads (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/search.php?searchid=2487416) and now Im really confused. I know the 2" spacers would lift the front and the add-a-leafs will lift the rear. I guess where I got confused is the thing about the shackles. Do I need to get them as well? Between the add-a-leafs and the shackles, wouldn't that raise the rearend 4"!? I just want enough lift to clear the 31X12.5 thornbird's that I have, would anyone please tell me if I should get the 3" BL's or the 2" spacer/add-a-leaf combo? Help please!

Are you an Islander originally? They like their tires wide. :D :p:

A 31" tall tire will fit stock height, but since you want such a wide tire you'll have to lift it and maybe trim the front fenders a little. The f150 spacers and either the add-a-leaf springs or the shackles will get you just under a 2" lift. You don't need both, because your are correct, it will get you close to a 4" lift in the rear. You'll want different wheels too. Something like 15x8" maybe 15x10" with backspacing around 3.75" or 4."

SNJ has a 2" lift and 31's, it works out great.

IMG_3268COPY.jpg

Are you an Islander originally? They like their tires wide. :D :p:

A 31" tall tire will fit stock height, but since you want such a wide tire you'll have to lift it and maybe trim the front fenders a little. The f150 spacers and either the add-a-leaf springs or the shackles will get you just under a 2" lift. You don't need both, because your are correct, it will get you close to a 4" lift in the rear. You'll want different wheels too. Something like 15x8" maybe 15x10" with backspacing around 3.75" or 4."

Why yes, I was originally from Oahu! Where everyone is into wide, monster truck looking tires. :D Is it mandatory to trim the fenders? I wasn't really gonna use the X offroad. Will it make contact (the 12.5's) with the fenders during steering or articulating? I will be using a 15X8 rims with 3.75 backspace, would it stick out too much to where I would need to install fender extensions?

SNJ has a 2" lift and 31's, it works out great.

Do you have any idea what size tires (width) he used?

Oahu to Vancouver...brrr.... :)

I'm not 100% sure on the rubbing or need of trimming. I've never seen a 31x12.5 tire on a minimal lift before. Maybe someone who has will chime in?

The tires will stick outside the fenders about as much as mine.

FenderTrim11.jpg

he says they are 10.5" wide.

Here's the link to his build thread:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171783&highlight=surrealnj

Looks wider from the photos, I like 'em! Ill check out his thread, thanks! ;)

Oahu to Vancouver...brrr.... :)

I'm not 100% sure on the rubbing or need of trimming. I've never seen a 31x12.5 tire on a minimal lift before. Maybe someone who has will chime in?

The tires will stick outside the fenders about as much as mine.

Actually it was from Oahu to L.A. to Manila to Vancouver. The move wasn't that bad. We came here (Vancouver) mid autumn so we had time to adjust. The winter wasn't that bad, loved the snow hated the windchill! Anyways, I guess ill try them out (2" spacer/add-a-leaf combo with 31X12.5 TSL's) and report the outcome here. BTW, how can one tell if their suspension (stock) is sagging? I heard that it wasn't uncommon for the 1st Gen X's. I ask about the offset cause I heard of stories where the RCMP's would hassle trucks with tires sticking out too much. But Im not worried cause the tires doesn't appear to stick out that much. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone have any actual experience(s) with a 2" lift and 31X12.5's?

Back