• Register Today It's free!

small lift

Noved87

Reaction score
City, State
Kelso, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Sport
:exp: how would you recomend to get a little bit of lift to the front and rear of a 94 sport? i dont have much money. i heard about coil spacers that go in between the coils this sound like what i want but im not sure whats involved or how much it will cost. :exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

F150 coil spacers in the front, Warrior shackles in the rear. Will cost you a couple bills at most.

Warrior right now are on sale for $45-50 at tellico4x4.com.

thanks, any auto parts stores sell this type of thing (not on-line) i need this quick.

i think a body lift wouldnt be out of the question either 100 dollars and a weekend to do it

You can get the coil spacers from your Ford dealer (coil seats for a '96 2wd F150), and "universal" shackles can be picked up at parts stores like Autozone.

Total investment: about $50 (plus the cost of an alignment)

What about those universal shackels are they any good? does anyone know if there is a post on coil spacer install? I've searched but not found an install posts.

Coil spacer install-

1. Take off wheel
2. Unbolt shock
3. Unbolt swaybar
4. Take off spring retainer nut.
5. Take out coil
6. Put in coil spacer
7. Repeat order in reverse

The universal shackles will not be as strong or well made but usually hold up just fine to normal use.

Sweet Thanks!

j602 said:
Coil spacer install-

1. Take off wheel
2. Unbolt shock
3. Unbolt swaybar
4. Take off spring retainer nut.
5. Take out coil
6. Put in coil spacer
7. Repeat order in reverse

The universal shackles will not be as strong or well made but usually hold up just fine to normal use.

Be warned it's not that easy.
You will need a hell of a breaker bar & long extensions to get the spring retainer nut off, & even then it's tough.
You might break off the lower shock mount taking the shocks off. Both of mine on my 94 with only 80K miles broke.

I bought my spacers from the auto wreckers. 40 bucks cdn for the set. Here is a great guide to install. Pictures, part numbers and everything else you need.
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/factoryspacer.htm

I know the instructions are for a Ranger, but it works exactly the same on an Ex.
Hope this helps. It made my install very painless. :)

Another way to get at the spring retainer nut is from the top, down the middle of the spring.

You will need the 1-1/8" socket and at least 1ft of extension for your ratchet, but you'll get a better bite on the nut and won't round off the corners. ;)

why dont you get the 3" body lift and the 2" spacer lift =)

then you could fit 33"S!!!

hi im the new guy. i was wondering if anyone has done this to their x. What are the pros and cons of this? approx. how much would it cost , and is it relitively easy to do. i have a 93 xlt. thanks

Welcome cimarrondb

I believe the majority of people on this site have done this to their X's at one time or another. The pros are numerous, ( looks kickin', tire size options, clearance, looking down on Jimmy's and Blazers, etc. etc.) and I don't know of any cons.

Costs (in Cdn, so yours will be cheaper no doubt) F150 spacers $40 (from the wreckers), shackles $25 for the universals, Body lift kits vary, mine was about $200.

Its makes a real difference. Here's my 93' xl

826348_1_full.jpg

Hope this helps. There are tons of threads and pictures and pros and cons available in the forums. Just search and find evrything you need.

pros - Cheap lift, Easier to install (excpet for the BL, id rather install a suspention lift ha). Easier to clean underbody with Body Lift. Replace worn old sagging springs to new 2" lift ones.

cons - Tippy, Camber maxed out (very very hard to get a good alighnment)

Oh yeah, added in to the price of the cheap lift is an expensive alignment. ;)
Thanks for the reminder Creager.

kslhol said:
Thanks for the reminder Creager

Do you know what degree camber bushing you needed? i hear some people can get it alighned fine with the stock. A couple say 2.5, some say 2.75 and others say 3.00.

Mine was done at Canadian Tire for the minimum charge of an alignment that they would do on any vehicle. No extra charge for camber bushings, or extra work, so I assume it was done with the stock. I know nothing about camber etc. but I doubt the $60 they charged me included ant extra effort.

But lots of others on this site have seemed to need a lot more work on their alignments and paid alot more. Maybe I just got lucky.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is anyone interested in the Skyjacker 2" lift. I think it is pisser. Of course the problem arises of allignment and out of whack camber, but i would expect a similar problem with the coil spacers. I got the kit for $180 from rockymountainsusp.com, this is lift coil springs and add-a-leafs. The aal are certainly more stiff than stock but i have no complaints with the way it handles. I would think the coils would outperform the spacers. I am currently thinking about adding the spacers to the lift coils, and probably making the axle drop brackets instead of paying $160 for them from summit racing. I installed the kit in August or even July of last year and still havent corrected the camber issues. (this is also due to losing my license and my truck seeing trails, and very little pavement)... Im also running it without swaybars which helps the cause....

Back