Smaller rims and bigger tires

1995E

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 + 11 Ex both XLT
Hello guys. I'm looking for the smallest size rims, something like 15 inches I could put on the Explorer with bigger tires with longer sidewalls. Something like the wheel sizes of the 1st - 2nd gen Explorer. Anyone got an idea? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know for a fact you can't do 15"s - the brakes are too big. The smallest you can go is 17"s or 18"s, I think - somebody else will know for sure.

Curious as to why you want to do this?

I'm wondering because the bigger the wheel, the slower the acceleration. From motor trends review of the Edge Sport with 22s and a bigger engine vs the regular Edge, the 22s hindered the Edge Sport in acceleration.

From what I like about wheels with larger sidewalls in my past experience was that if I mistakenly rub against the curb, or rocks, it's the tire that will be scratched up, not my rims.

I have a LOT of big pot holes around my area so I'd rather have more cushion between the rim and the road so it won't hurt my suspension parts as much.

Really though, I don't know if what I said is totally true but from what I've read, I'm willing to try it.

Thanks for the help! I'll definitely get some 17 inch rims.

Another reason for higher profile tires became evident to me yesterday. The driver of the pickup truck in front of me drifted out of the lane and ran straight into a cement curb at ~30 mph. No obvious damage, as s/he kept on driving and I followed (at a distance) for a couple of miles. If that truck had 20" wheel son it, you can bet there would have been at least a flat tire and probably significant wheel damage as well. The truck had something closer to 16" wheels, so the sidewalls were very tall and the tires were able to absorb enough of the impact to apparently prevent wheel damage. Alignment may be another story...

While larger rims are notorious for being heavier, that is not always the case. You can purchase light weight aluminum rims but a downside is that they are expensive. Having looked at an Explorer recently(waiting for mine to be built)..the best choice for tire size would probably be an 18" wheel. This will provide a decent sized sidewall on the tire as well as giving a large range of options to pick from. You may also be able to get away with a slightly taller tire without rubbing issues but I can in no way guarantee that.

I have 20 inch rims with a 34" tire on my truck and they probably weigh 100 lbs per tire and my MPG(17 to 13.5) suffers but I have had no issues with catching curbs and such and regularly punish them in the mud

I know for a fact you can't do 15"s - the brakes are too big. The smallest you can go is 17"s or 18"s, I think - somebody else will know for sure.
I believe 17" should fit since the base model comes with that size. Unfortunately not even the Ford service and parts guys can tell me if they will fit the Limited. Apparently Ford is not releasing any specs on the wheels. The parts guys said the only way to find out is to order a 17 wheel and try it on the Limited to see if it fits. I want to use the 17" steel wheels for my Winter tires on the Limited.

I believe 17" should fit since the base model comes with that size. Unfortunately not even the Ford service and parts guys can tell me if they will fit the Limited. Apparently Ford is not releasing any specs on the wheels. The parts guys said the only way to find out is to order a 17 wheel and try it on the Limited to see if it fits. I want to use the 17" steel wheels for my Winter tires on the Limited.

That's why I really want the smaller rims. I'd be able to fit better tires and I kind of wanted 15s so I could get the same wheels and possibly rims that came with my old Explorer because those type of wheels really did a great job in deep snow and mud. Never had them fail on me. They were all weather / season tires.

Back