Snorkel On!! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Snorkel On!!

Okay... Try this one.
(dead link)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

im from australia and im having so many problems finding parts to modify my explorer. i have found a bull bar that can take a winch (dead link) model is the type 51 bar). it has the winching mounts but the company has told me that the explorer isnt strong enough to mount a winch up front!@!! :confused:
seeing that the explorer's didnt really sell well here because of fords marketing (they didnt advertise it at all once to my knowlege in 7 years) i thinks thats why alot of 4wd companies dont make many parts (seeing most them are based here i think... ARB, Safari etc).. please correct me if im wrong.

Great Job, cool look too.
Pics under the hood?

I worked hard to tuck everything into the fender so there's really nothing to see under the hood. Except for the snorkel the air intake looks original. You have to look closely to find the three inch flex duct that goes from the end of the air box into the fender. I'll try to get a picture later this week.

I haven't heard anything from Safari, ARB or anyone else about this. In addition to Safari and ARB I've sent links and copies of my write up to Mantec and TJM. Nobody has responded yet.

I believe we could change their minds if enough people were willing to take two to three minutes to send an email requesting snorkels and other parts for the Explorer. I say we flood them with requests. I've included links to make it easy.

Well well well it's finally happened after ages of me trying to get you blokes off ya bums to pester ARB, someone has finally got you to take notice.

BruceL that is a top notch job :thumbsup:

Now email ya heads off guys, cause when i spoke to ARB they told me if there is enough interest in a certain product then they will usually put it into production, the Subaru owners managed to get a snorkle made for the Forrester, so you guys should be able to get them to make one for the Explorer.

Baz.

"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion.
You must set yourself on fire."

Every email gets us one step closer to having the accessories we want. I refuse to believe the Explorer is less deserving of a snorkel, a bumper, a locker, or a tire carrier than any other 4x4. If any one has a direct line to ARB please send them a photo or link to this page. Every time one you reads this please send an email requesting the accessories you'd like to have for your vehicle.

i have emailed them and i got a reply today. it was from a guy here, i havent got the email here to post, its at work and i can post it later, but he said that he needed to be able to know that they could sell at least 1000 units before they consider developing one for the explorer. for we need to send over 1000 requests before they consider it serious... sounds like we have some work ahead of us!!

edward1985 said:
i have emailed them and i got a reply today. it was from a guy here, i havent got the email here to post, its at work and i can post it later, but he said that he needed to be able to know that they could sell at least 1000 units before they consider developing one for the explorer. for we need to send over 1000 requests before they consider it serious... sounds like we have some work ahead of us!!

So your telling me they got 1000 emails to build a snorkle for the Forrester? Didn't know there was that many on the road??

They don't just look into one area... Forester is pretty much everywhere and if there's a lot of those Down Under then you can say they do have the market for those snorkles there...

post the e-mail addy so we can start sending away...

ok, this is a copy of the email i received so lets start emailing..
""Hi Edward,

Although it sounds like an easy task to produce, it is actually quite a lengthy and costly procedure to have a snorkel produced. In order for us to go ahead with a new model, would mean that we would have to have great confidence in being able to sell 1000 snorkels as a minimum. Hence the reason why we don’t produce one for it as we don’t project we could ever sell that many.

Sorry I can’t assist you.

Best regards,
James Gruber
Safari Automotive Technologies""

I think we need to show Gruber he's full of crap!!!!!! Even though a small percentage go offroad there are more Explorers out there than any other kind.

Positive Vibes said:
So your telling me they got 1000 emails to build a snorkle for the Forrester? Didn't know there was that many on the road??

A very very popular car here in Australia, the forrester and Outback as well as the WRX and RX, the Forrester because it's small, and has enough room for a young family, powerfull, economical and good offroad in most situations.

The Ford Explorer is not very popular here in Australia, in fact it has a very bad reputation offroad, weak transfer case, bad clearence, no accessories available (see above ;) ) bad motor in the 96/97 model, and the bad reports it got from the tyre exploding thing.

The thing is, Nissan Patrols and Toyota Landcruisers are the most popular 4WDs in Australia followed by LandRovers, you can get anything for these vehicles.

Baz.

Yep it's me again, sent all those emails have you, ain't gunna happen if ya don't:dunno: :scratch:

Baz:australia

Well its time to bring back an old thread. I have long since loved this adaptation on a safari snorkel. But it seemed that until safari made yone just for us we were out of luck. I now however believe that they might have with out even realizing it. Ladys and gentilman the safari snorkel for the fj crusier bight be our ticket to almost "made for" equipment.

The length and the angle of the snorkle seem to me to be a good suit. With the adaptation peice as out lined in this thread we might finally have a winner.

As am am posted:salute: away from my EX at this time I cannot make a few cruical measurments.

1. The angle of the windscreen of an explorer vs. that of a FJ cruiser.
2. The angle of the fender's.
3. The length of the fender of and FJ vs. an EX.

If some one could check these measurements we might all be pleasantly suprised.

rad.

Thanks to my handy dandy protractor. I now believe that the FJ might not work, as I can not acctualy measure a FJ or my explorer. I searched out a good picture of an ex right front fender and compared them to the safari line up for toyota's the SS87HF the snorkle for the NEW land crusier has the exact same angle (per my online comparison) as a ford explorer. Just some food for thought.

Looks damn Good I hope the job I do on my 94 X turns out that good....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back