Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Snow Driving

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by 1995E, January 21, 2012.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Halwg

Halwg Active Member

City, State:
      WV
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2016 Explorer Base 2.3L E
      My XLT certainly has the Terrain Management System. Maybe PJR202 only has FWD.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Thanks for that info. I didn't look into it too much at the time since I was a bit rushed. If it is FWD then there would be no sense in having the TMS. Not sure if TMS was an option or not.

Peter

4. PJR202

PJR202 New Member

2013 Explorer XLT
      Mines 4wd but no TMS knobs or doodads that I can see. :)

5. alexk

alexk Active Member

City, State:
      New Jersey
      15 Sport
      A 4x4 explorer will have a dial right behind the shifter. You can turn that dial for the different modes, if your explorer doesn't have that then it's only a front wheel drive.

6. PJR202

PJR202 New Member

2013 Explorer XLT
      I am fairly irritated right now. Our purchase (bought used about 6 weeks ago) experience was frustrating enough (dealer advertising error and unkept promise and a 3 hour drive) without now realizing we were apparently lied to or mislead. I could swear it said 4WD on the back, but I went out and checked this morning and it doesnt. I knew it didn't have the knob that the Limited we test drove had, but we were told it had 4WD and I thought the knob was just for hill assist. I was under the impression that the 4WD was automatically engaged. Ultimately it's my fault for not investigating more thoroughly, but the overall experience had enough hiccups that I'm not kicking myself that hard at this moment.

Either way, we didn't require it and it wasn't really even a consideration in whatever we decided to purchase. I have a 4x4 Tacoma and my wife not only doesn't drive in snow, she's a teacher so if it snows she doesn't have to leave the house anyway. The irritating part is, it was used against us as a negotiating tool.

But thanks..lol

7. Halwg

Halwg Active Member

City, State:
      WV

You got screwed then, because if it's 4WD you will have the terrain knob. If you don't have it you have FWD. I certainly hope you didn't pay the additional $3500 for 4WD.

8. PJR202

PJR202 New Member

2013 Explorer XLT
      See above...

We bought it used and it was a good price, 4WD or no 4WD.

9. Halwg

Halwg Active Member

City, State:
      WV
      That's why I don't buy things used.

10. PJR202

PJR202 New Member

2013 Explorer XLT
      I'd rather not be that far in the hole from day 1.

11. TTSport15

TTSport15 Member

2015 ford explorer sport
      we had alot of snow here and getting more tonite i didnt even change the settings and cut right through unplowed streets still have the factory hankooks...I will have it on the sand once I get my beach permit ...

12. Halwg

Halwg Active Member

City, State:
      WV
      I've only used the snow mode once this winter, when we had 6" of unplowed snow. Otherwise, the normal setting works well along with my winter tires.

13. keithw1975

keithw1975 New Member

City, State:
      Missouri
      2015 Explorer Sport
      Driving in Snow...

We have had a seriously dry Winter, and only had our first decent snow last week, which was around 6-7 inches of wet snow. Shortly after that the temperatures dropped down below zero.

I noticed that our '15 Sport had the intake, located down by the air dam, completely caked with ice. So solid that I couldn't poke through it with an ice pick. So I am guessing the engineers realized this was going to happen, and it won't adversely effect the vehicle...???

I also notice lots of very strange sounds, which seemed to be related to ice and snow buildup around the engine and suspension. The car sounded noticeably louder, and had a light tapping noise that increased with engine speed. We also noticed that we would get a hot rubber smell after driving on the highway at different times.

Now that things have warmed up, and all the snow is melted, the car seems back to normal, but it makes me wonder if all that is normal, or if they don't test it in adverse conditions.

On another note, it really gripes me that they don't put a substantial bumper on cars anymore. When driving along I try to dodge the large chunks of frozen snow that have refrozen. I just wish they would design these with a rugged steel bumper, like the one on my truck.

14. NEWPORTNJ

NEWPORTNJ Active Member

City, State:
      NORTH BERGEN NJ
      2017 FORD EX PLATINUM
      It all comes down to mpg, And steel bumpers take away mpg because of weight. Trucks have more reasons to have steel bumpers bigger engines etc...

15. markymark0509

markymark0509 Member

2015 Explorer Sport
      I've had my 15 Ex SP for a month. We see a significant amount of snow each week. The car is garaged and I warm up 10-15 min prior to driving in -15 to 20 degree weather...pretty much all winter. So I really haven't driven in warm temps yet to make a determination. I have to say I don't see any of the things you mention above. No ice, No smell and the engine seems smooth and quite. But our gas up here is the winter blend. Not sure if that makes a difference.

16. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Active Member

City, State:
      Fort Mill, SC
      '07 E.Bauer & '14 XLT 4WD
      The intake you're talking about is a passive channel that leads to the oil cooler radiator. It almost seems to be an afterthought so I imagine that it's only/most important when towing heavy trailers in hot weater.

17. Fpo

Fpo Active Member

City, State:
      Chicago
      2013 Explorer Sport
      If you are talking about this intake

[​IMG]

It is a air channel that sends air to help cool the rear turbo.
      I'm guessing in winter time it is needed less than in summer.

18. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Active Member

City, State:
      Fort Mill, SC
      '07 E.Bauer & '14 XLT 4WD
      That channel exists on every Explorer with the 44C transmission; basically every Sport and Base, XLT and Limited models with factory tow package.

19. jarettp

jarettp Active Member

2014 Explorer Limited 4wd
      So how did everyone's explorer hold up during the storm this weekend? I only got stuck once and that was due to bad decision making on my part. thought I could make it through a snow drift that even a serious off roader vehicle would have probably got stuck in. I was able to go wherever I wanted the rest of the time though. This is with the OEM hankooks too! Thoroughly impressed yet again with the explorer!

20. goochman

goochman Member

2014 Explorer Limited
      29" of Snow - even my Jeep Wrangler sat on the sidelines for this one.

21. Butch-Explorer

Butch-Explorer Member

2006 Ford Explorer Ltd V8
      My 06 was great, even with worn all season tires in DC. Was really impressed with AdvanceTrac

22. MikB

MikB Active Member

2017 F150 XLT Sport 4x4
      Got to check out the Ex in the snow today

Had to make a trip today for unimportant things and we got a pretty good dowsing of snow today. We don't generally get snow at this time of the year here and so it gave me the opportunity to check out the Ex in the snow and ice mode on the TMS. The drive was about a 10 mile round trip over hills and on main rural/town streets with the build up of slippery ice at the signals. I was a little surprised ice had generally formed on the road in most of the entire length of the trip. The county had not put down the 'sand' yet so, it was just snow and ice. Everybody was driving sanely as well so the drive was unremarkable in that respect.

I'm fairly impressed with how the system works in these conditions. No slippage at all in starting or stopping. It was more like there wasn't any snow or ice at all. I noticed others in their SUVs and for the most part they seemed to have no problem as well except for maybe all the older Jeep Cherokees. They eventually were able to get going after spinning their wheels and getting sideways a bit but, seemed fine after that. I was really quite impressed with starting on slippery ice. The Ex just rolled out as if there was no ice at all. This on these crummy Hankooks as well. Anyway, it was an interesting experience. Good job, Ford! :chug:

Last edited by a moderator: December 8, 2016
    23. reserved50

reserved50 Well-Known Member

2013 Sport Exploder
      They did do a good job with the electronic controls, its almost perfect, not too much or too little assist from the vehicle, actually makes you feel like you know what you're doing till you switch it to sand mode and it takes traction control off, I think I set the record time for switching it back lol:laugh:

24. sr71_1

sr71_1 New Member

City, State:
      Michigan
      2015 Explorer Sport
      We got our first 10” blast a few days ago. Took my wife’s 15 Sport out for a snow cruise. I forgot how much of a beast it is with the 20” Blizzak’s. Continue to like her sport ....especially in deep snow

25. futureboy

futureboy New Member

City, State:
      SW Ontario
      '17 XLT AWD 3.5L V6
      Hey folks!

Another year, another winter! Just wanted to add my own personal EX-perience...

We're out here in rural South-Western Ontario with a 17 XLT AWD and Arctic Claw winter tires (2nd to none in terms of performance/price).
      Last night we got about 50cm of snow-fall on top of the ~20cm from the last few days. The top ~40cm was really light and loose, but under that slightly packed.

Anyway, I had very little trouble driving through the deep snow in Snow Mode. Just took it nice and steady, not stopping or turning too sharply. Sometimes I felt the wheels spinning, but never enough to gouge in and get stuck, and kept moving nicely.

I had to pick out snow after that from the front grilles and a bit from the lower parts of the engine bay that had collected there, but nothing untoward.

Can't wait to have some fun with Sand Mode, though! Just need to find a nice open lot.

26. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Did you happen to try driving it in those condition in 'Normal'? Just curious about the difference. Only received 17 cm here in the Ottawa area. My brother lives in London. I wonder if they got dumped on too?

Peter