Snowball 94 Limited | Page 22 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Snowball 94 Limited

Hey I'm a long time reader and Just bought my first X Wednesday I love it.
SnowballJune3103.jpg

She's a 1994 Limited.Named her Snowball (Sry If someone already had this name) I paid $1500 for her. She got a new Thermostat 2hrs after I bought her cause it locked up on me and over heated in the middle of the road. Her primary duty is going to be as a daily driver/Photography vehicle. I am an avid amateur photographer.

The day after I got her I took her out on her first photo Journey.
Here's some pics.

SnowballJune31018.jpg

She is replacing the 1989 Ranger my parents let me drive till I found my own and just like the Ranger I couldn't keep her on the pavement for long.

SnowballJune31015.jpg

I also found a mound of gravel and flexed the suspension a bit.
SnowballJune3107.jpg

SnowballJune3109.jpg

Her primary purpose will be to get me to college and back and do a little off-roading. She does have some problem but what 16yr old vehicle doesn't. I will eventually get some kind of lift but first is New/Used tires and a MAF.

Leave your opinions did I make a good purchase? What Kind of lift should I get it need to be cheap cause most of my money will be going to School.​

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I finally finished up my aftermarket fuse and relay box over the weekend. Still missing a few little touches but it's functional and I'll tidy up the lose ends sometime soon.

Now onto the pics.

Battery connection. Still need to install the 150amp fuse on it and that's on the top of the list.
DSCN2063_zpsd4ef82b9.jpg

The wire is ran through the header panel then enters the box. I'm gonna paint the lid orange with blue letters spelling out Fuse/Relay Box.
DSCN2057_zps02b1a2ba.jpg

and here's the view of the inside of the box from above. The wire routing isn't as clean as I'd have liked but it's better than before.
DSCN2058_zps7e18b0c6.jpg

And here's a couple other views of the box.
DSCN2062_zpsb38dad0a.jpg

DSCN2061_zps717c22f1.jpg

DSCN2059_zps00177e38.jpg

And I know wire nuts on automotive wiring isn't a good idea nut the neg cable's been like that since I got it. I'm gonna keep my eye out for some good ones at the junkyard or I'll just make my own with bigger wiring.

Also picked up some MAF cleaner today and cleaned the MAF. Gonna order a new DPFE in a couple minutes and hopefully that'll take care of all my codes.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Little update on the truck got some work done over last weekend.

I got the Main fuse for the fusebox installed.

I also replaced the DPFE hose and sensor and that has seemed to take care of the codes I've been getting.

and since I was already ordering from RockAuto I got a PCV valve and a fuel filter. Got the PCV installed but had some issues with the Fuel filter.

On the filter first I had and issue getting the bracket removed because when the PO had the RA bushings replaced they installed a extra long bolt (which happened to only be a grade 5) which wouldn't let the bracket come off. So after removing the bolt I got the bracket off.

I fought with the stupid fittings for about 30min before I called it quits. I had the tools all he way into the fitting but they wouldn't release. So I might pick up some different tools over the weekend and try it again.

But in other news I bought a new camera this week so mods are gonna be on hold for a while.
DSC_7032.jpg

D7000 with battery grip, 2 batteries, and all the original packaging!!!!!
Such an upgrade from the D40.

underglow lights

Here's the pics of them all lit up.

Gauges.
DSC_6028.jpg

DSC_6025.jpg

DSC_6024.jpg

DSC_6022.jpg

Here's the under-glow.
DSC_6035.jpg

Side
DSC_6032.jpg

Rear

underglow lights in the rear where you put the strip at under the bumper?

reverse glow

the tachometer needle can you take it off?

Thats a beautiful truck!

I used some flat metal brackets and attached it to some holes that were already in the bumper. It's not on right now though because the rear tow hook interfears with how I had it mounted.

And all the needles will come of just might take a little bit of force/patience.

Just curious on why you hid you level of gas? lol guess i'm weird like that.

My fuel gauge doesn't work so I write how many miles I have till I need to get gas on the pump and put it where the gauge is.

Under glow

I used some flat metal brackets and attached it to some holes that were already in the bumper. It's not on right now though because the rear tow hook interfears with how I had it mounted.

And all the needles will come of just might take a little bit of force/patience.

Okay, well I have the kit I can wire the rear strip underglow light because its too short how can I get it to the control panel? and where did you put your strip in the rear at?

Okay, well I have the kit I can wire the rear strip underglow light because its too short how can I get it to the control panel? and where did you put your strip in the rear at?

Extend the wires. And I answered the 2nd question above

Underglow

Extend the wires. And I answered the 2nd question above

Okay, but what do i extend it with been tryin to find the same wire but cant the control box is under the dash board

Did some more work this weekend.

I replaced the mirror adjustment switch as it decided to partially stop workin, luckily i had one in my pile of parts in the sheds so I didn't cost me a thing.

I also organized my stash of parts while I was workin so I can find stuff easier and cleaned up my work bench so I had some room to work on stuff.

After that I removed the driver door panel to try once again to find why the speaker pops and makes weird noise for a few min then works fine and remount my up and down modules as they came loose and were hittin the window track as it went down.
Didn't figure out the speaker issue but I did cover the door with more Peal an Seal I decided to put some on the inside of the door skin since I had no issues with it where I put it last time. Didn't take any pics of it though.

I then moved on to the Rear drivers door as the speaker had decided to quit workin. Figured that problem out easily it was a stupid mistake on my part when I first got the cart. I used those junky wire taps to tap the speaker wires to feed the speaker box in the back. I decided to just remove the box as I don't blast the stero like I used to.

While I had the door panel off I found why I had been havin a rattle. It turned out when I replaced the window motor one of the bolts wasn't tight enough or I never tightened it but it had back out completely. So after findin my square bit I fixed the problem. No more rattle!!
WLL_8113.jpg

I also added some sound deadening material to this door also.
WLL_8114.jpg

WLL_8115.jpg

WLL_8116.jpg

Made a fairly lard difference in road noise. I'm hopin to do another door this weekend.

All in all it was a fairly good weekend of moddin especially I had all the materials on hand.

It's not been a good couple of weeks for the old girl.

First last weekend the passenger side window got stuck in the down position while I was up in the mountains. I got it back up once we got home but it seems to be really gummed up so I think I'm just gonna pick up a used window track form Pull-A-Part and put it in.

Also Thursday the A/C compressor it seems has let go as when I got home from school I had opened the hood to do some work and there was dye everywhere and a hissing sound coming from the compressor. It's not from the o-rings in the back as the sound was coming from the front of the compressor. Looks like I'll need a new one and a fresh recharge.
Really thinking about investing in the A/C recharge equipment now.

And to add to all that today I tried again to change the fuel filter again and broke the filter off at the base of the filter and couldn't get the chunk of filter stuck in the hose out no matter how hard I pulled or what tool I used. I even made a release tool out of a sharpie cap like suggested in a thread on here.
So after about an hour and half of cussin and tool throwing I gave in an had it towed to the shop. Ofcourse though they can't get to it till Monday so I'm stuck drivin my dad's VW beetle for the weekend and possibly all next week too.

The only good thing I've accomplished on the EX recently is I finished relocating the aux tranny filter from in the engine bay to in front of the driver tire on the inner fender. So it's now easy to change and gets better air circulation. I want to fab up some kind of shield for it though to protect it from all the dirt and mud the tire will throw up though.

And just cause I like Pics here's an HDR of the Ex up in the mtns with all the Fall colors.
564074_10200115184546063_1628139064_n.jpg

and here's a pic of a side project of mine.
D256-43A8-857B-6F75017EB003-13925-00000AE6E054C44D.jpg

Got another 3 day weekend so soon as I got back from school I got straight to work on the Explorer.

2095-4F62-84F3-B5A60409829F-21613-000011F2C864BE34.jpg

I finally got fed up with the chips in the hood. So far I've put about 4 coats of Duplicolor Bedliner on it. It's cold out so it's taking it a while to dry. I'm debating on going ahead and spraying it with matching white paint or just leaving it the way it is. I'll prob just go ahead and spray it as I don't want to go through the trouble of masking it again.

Also I'm slowly converting my parents over to Ford's last weekend they purchased thier secound Escape a 2001 model for my sis to drive back and forth to college. I drove it for the past week while mine was in the shop and I've got to say it is nice only thing is it's right yellow.
7E4A-4C72-844A-22AFFBB6528D-21613-000011F2CED8D988.jpg

Hopin to get my mudflaps on this weekend in preporation for winter to try and keep some of the salt off the body.

I finally got my factory limited lights installed. I found 2 left ones at 2 separate junkyards. She looks right now filling up the hole vs my crappy cheap fogs.

I did some measuring and it looks like the 93 taurus sho fogs will suit the purpose in our bumpers, they're wide enough and the correct mounting location. I have 2 but one broke while trying to free it from the bumper. So I went back to the drawing board on looking for limited lights.

I did figure out it isn't a left or right specific so if you have only one broken, then all you need is one. I have determined that 99% of the limited models I find in the junkyards the right one is busted.

If it is just the lenses that are busted on yours, try the cheapie $20 set from wal-mart that has the same style side screw tabs that hold the glass in place, it looks VERY identical.

Sorry for the long post.
J. Cribb

I finally got my factory limited lights installed. I found 2 left ones at 2 separate junkyards. She looks right now filling up the hole vs my crappy cheap fogs.

I did some measuring and it looks like the 93 taurus sho fogs will suit the purpose in our bumpers, they're wide enough and the correct mounting location. I have 2 but one broke while trying to free it from the bumper. So I went back to the drawing board on looking for limited lights.

I did figure out it isn't a left or right specific so if you have only one broken, then all you need is one. I have determined that 99% of the limited models I find in the junkyards the right one is busted.

If it is just the lenses that are busted on yours, try the cheapie $20 set from wal-mart that has the same style side screw tabs that hold the glass in place, it looks VERY identical.

Sorry for the long post.
J. Cribb

Thanks for the info. I have one that was still usable from when I got the truck. I'm keeping my eye out for another one.

I never even though to see if they were side specific so it's good to know they're not.

Unfortunately it was the back side of mine that was busted so I'm needing a whole unit.

Did some more winter prep this weekend.

I got my mudflaps on the front. They didn't look terrible like I figured they would.
5D86-4963-8CB4-D176A5084DAE-23500-00001407B24D550A.jpg

I need to try and pick up a pair for the rear.

I also oiled the driver side rocker down with gear oil. Was gonna oil the other side and a few other spots but I ran out of oil as all I had on hand was a little that was left over from changing the rear diff.
So I gotta pick up more this week and finish up.

I also got tired of lookin at the wire nuts on the negative cable so I redid those to wires. Cut the old off just before the connector and soldered on new 10awg wires and soldered on a single 4awg ring terminal as it's what I had on hand. Put shrink wrap on all connections then liquid electrical tape where the shrink stopped. So it's all sealed up well.
67FC-4BF9-BC11-1FC0CE301DB9-23500-00001407A9A15513.jpg

I forgot to get a pic of the hood finished. Not really pleased with it but it's better than it was. I'll try and remember to grab a pic tomorrow.

Here's the pics of the hood as it sits now.

2FC9-47B9-BCCF-6BF209D04CA5-25195-000016248E46C153.jpg

the color match is a little off and you can see where I got a little over spray from the tape coming up about middle hood.

and here's a close up of where the bed liner bleed under the tape.
9057-486E-BD11-F133874059CC-25195-0000162495F41A32.jpg

I'm gonna try some clay bar to get the over spray off and paint about a 1/4in. past the black line. Hopefully that'll make it look a little better.

Back