for access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Soft Brakes???

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by erald01, August 1, 2010.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. erald01

erald01 New Member

City, State:
      canton, mi
      Year and Model:
      1998 Explorer 5.0
      Okay so i have been doing some major naintnance on my 1998 5.0 EB edition explorer. My rear brakes were starting to make noisy so i figured i would change the pads and the rotors. Changed the rotors and the pads, and when i started to drive the truck i noticed the break pedal is very soft and to break the pedal has to travel pretty far. I didnt do anything else but change the brakes, i tried bleedin them but no luck since the bleedin nipples are seized. I have no leaks because i checked the fluid every day for a week and it's still the same level.

How do you guys bleed ur brakes when the bleeding nipples are seized?? Why my brakes feels soft, could be a bad caliper somewhere in the back?? Btw the truck has 156,000 miles. Any tip is apprecited, thanx

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. safn1949

safn1949 Active Member

City, State:
      Mankato, Minnesota
      Year and Model:
      M60A1 my first offroader
      Ok,it could be a caliper piston is stuck and here is how you find out which side.Get a pair of vise grips and gently clamp off one rubber brake line in the rear,be careful as you can easily damage the lines.

Now try your brakes,if they are solid now then you have a problem with the caliper or (extremely rare) the wrong brake pads.Try one side at a time to see if it makes a difference.

The brake pad thing I have seen once in my time,some dope put the wrong pads on his Honda and the brakes were soft,he brought it to us and we did the above only to find the pads would not move in the caliper so they simply bent and sprang back when the brake was applied.:D

4. erald01

erald01 New Member

City, State:
      canton, mi
      Year and Model:
      1998 Explorer 5.0
      k thanx ill def try that, as for pads i know its the right ones lol...what about if there is air in the lines, how can i loosen up the bleedin nipples?

5. Mbrooks420

Mbrooks420 High Voltage.

City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      Year and Model:
      1998 Mountaineer
      Spray the bleeders with wd-40 for a few days. Then apply some heat. Use the proper 6 pt socket, and you will probably be able to break them free. You can also heat, and spray with wd-40, or PB Blaster. Sometimes the heat helps wick in the penetrating oil.

6. safn1949

safn1949 Active Member

City, State:
      Mankato, Minnesota
      Year and Model:
      M60A1 my first offroader
      If it's air and the bleeder breaks,just go get a rebuilt caliper.I wouldn't think they would cost that much.:D