1. for access to Ford Explorer and Ranger owner generated reviews and discussion, tech tips, how to articles, off-road modifications, events, and more! Since 1996 we have been the #1 Ford Explorer resource on the Internet. We also cover the Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

SOHC V6 Supercharger

Discussion in 'Need for Speed!' started by 2000StreetRod, April 26, 2012.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. boominXplorer

boominXplorer Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Virginia Beach, Va
      Year and Model:
      00 4x4 Mounty
      All the newer 01 newer sohc's (except explorer) have steel fuel rails instead of plastic and have the wiring harness on top of the fuel rails. They also use plastic valve covers with the pvc valve on the drivers side instead of using the box thingy in a freeze plug in the valley of the block.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. 2000StreetRod

2000StreetRod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      Year and Model:
      00 Sport FI,03 Limited V8
      fuel rails & injector harness

Thanks, Chris. That could be very helpful, cost and labor saving information.

4. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      Year and Model:
      Gearing & engine performance

The formula for vehicle speed vs engine rpm is:

mph = (rpm*tire dia.)/(ratio*336)

My BFG P235/75R15 tires have a diameter of 28.86 inches
      My rear axle ratio is 3.73:1

1st 2.47*3.73=9.21 @ 6,000 rpm = 56 mph
      2nd 1.86*3.73=6.94 @ 6,000 rpm = 74.3 mph
      3rd 1.47*3.73=5.48 @ 6,000 rpm = 94 mph
      4th 1.00*3.73=3.73 @ 6,000 rpm = 138 mph
      5th 0.75*3.73=2.80 @ 6,000 rpm = 184.5 mph

A graph of the above shows the change in engine rpm when shifting from one transmission speed to another for any vehicle speed.
      Gears.jpg
      For example at 60 mph an upshift from 3rd speed to 4th speed is an engine speed change from approximately 3800 rpm to 2600 rpm.

At lower engine speeds the torque converter increases the overall gear ratio increasing the engine speed for a given vehicle speed. This can be seen on a datalog of a WOT test from rest in 3rd speed.
      3rdWOT4.jpg
      The bold line represents engine rpm with its scale on the right of the graph. The other line represents vehicle speed with its scale on the left of the graph. The time scale is on the bottom of the graph.
      The vehicle speed increases while the engine speed remains constant (@75 secs) or even decreases (@76 secs) as the torque converter ratio decreases to 1:1.

Below is a copy of my stock engine performance after the throttle cable modification in transmission selector "2" or 3rd speed.
      2ndThrotCbl.jpg
      Selecting a supercharger that broadens the engine torque curve will result in the most satisfying driving experience.

Last edited: April 29, 2012
    5. Ronin8002

Ronin8002 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Virginia
      Year and Model:
      2008 XLT Ironman
      Like you said, it all depends on where you want that extra power. With a centrifugal you're going to get it at the top of the RPM range/WOT usually. With a positive displacement you get it down in the lower RPM range and the ability to build some boost at part throttle.

Having run a Vortech centrifugal on my 91 4.0 OHV, I personally feel for a truck or SUV it's better to get the power down low (positive displacement) since accelerating from a stop is where these types of vehicles need more power.

I guess if you're racing you might want power at the top end/WOT. But if that's your goal then maybe you could just run nitrous oxide injection and have a less expensive setup that is only "on" when you want it.

6. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      Year and Model:
      no racing

I agree. Thanks for posting your first hand experience with a centrifugal supercharger.

I have no interest in racing. Almost all of my driving is in the city. I just want to enjoy the responsiveness of a larger engine without performing an engine swap to the 5.0L V8.

7. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      Year and Model:
      ultimate supercharger

In my opinion for my driving the ultimate supercharger would be one with instantaneously available variable boost appropriate for engine load and user requested demand. The variable boost would be PCM controlled and the requested demand would be reflected by the depression of the accelerator as reported by the throttle position sensor. One method of providing nearly instantaneously available variable boost is by driving a supercharger with a variable speed electric motor. Unfortunately, an appropriate capacity motor (10 hp) normally requires a 24 volt or greater supply to reduce current flow. That would mean another 12 volt battery and alternator (heavy and space consuming) in additional to the electric motor.

The next best alternative seems to be a positive displacement blower. While not providing a user requested variable boost, at least the boost is fairly constant throughout the normal power range of the engine. I will investigate the various types and brands of positive displacement superchargers. One other advantage could be a less cluttered engine compartment.

8. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      Year and Model:
      98 Mountaineer AWD
      Hi Dale, I see that you are well on your way to figuring out the best path for your truck.

I suggest the Eaton style over intake PDB, with an intercooler underneath if possible. Fuel mileage may suffer, but there is one simpler possibility than the variable boost/pump etc.

I saw a car show recently which advertised an aftermarket cylinder cut out device for EFI vehicles. There were no real details or price, I didn't catch a brand name, but it appears it would work for any OBDII vehicle. That may be an answer to a vehicle that has lots of low rpm power and drag, during light throttle.

Good luck there, and don't do anything without addressing the weak 5R55E trans. It's fine for a stock engine, but above that it needs all the little things done that are available. If I boosted a SOHC vehicle, I would first build and install a spare 5R55E with everything done to it. Work out the kinks with that, and then put the boost to the engine.:salute:

9. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      Year and Model:
      5R55E upgrade

Thanks for the good advice Don. I'm surprised that Jake's transmission has lasted so long with the turbocharger.

10. jd4242

jd4242 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      va beach
      Year and Model:
      92explorer&94 ranger
      You want a surprise, i still run a A4ld!;) probably not much long though, i plan on doing the 2.9 5 speed swap.but not because the a4 is failing,i want that lower first gear of the 2.9

11. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      Year and Model:
      back & knees

I've had numerous vehicles with manual transmissions: Alfa 2600 Spider, Jaguar E-Type, BMW 635, Volvo 544 & 142E. I eventually learned that a good automatic could shift faster but doesn't have as much control (engine braking, downshifts, etc.) Now I'm lazy with a bad back and knees so will never have another manual.

12. jd4242

jd4242 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      va beach
      Year and Model:
      92explorer&94 ranger
      O i hear you.i love my auto but i want that controll like you said and that lower first gear.i run BIG 36x14.50 and 4.88s.i wish i went 5.13 for sure as this is mostly a off road truck.ive hear those 5r can be pretty strong with some mods.

13. rocket 5979

rocket 5979 Resident Gearhead

City, State:
      Lake Villa, Illinois
      Year and Model:
      '03 XLT 4.6
      Proper tuning and band adjustment are key to keeping those transmissions alive. Got those down pat and as long as the transmission was in good mechanical shape beforehand they will be able to take a little bit of power. Your tuner might just know a thing or two about that. ;)

14. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      Year and Model:
      band adjustment & tune

Thanks for reminding me that I still need to perform a band adjustment. When I purchased my Sport I couldn't tell from driving it whether I had a 4 speed or 5 speed trannsmission because the upshifts were so soft. James did an excellent job adjusting the transmission shift pressure and timing.

15. rocket 5979

City, State:
      Lake Villa, Illinois
      Year and Model:
      '03 XLT 4.6

I bet he did. I tune all of my own vehicles myself but when I wanted a tune for the Green V6 Explorer I didn't even bother with it because I knew James can tune it better than I could because of all of his experience with the 4.0 SOHC and 5R55E. Why mess with perfection and reinvent the wheel when I have a friend who is likely the best V6 Explorer tuner out there? :thumbsup:

16. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      Year and Model:
      Roots blowers

The Roots type blower (Eaton M90) is very efficient (90%) for low rotor speeds and low boost (1.5 psi). The efficiency decreases slightly (80%) at mild rotor speeds and boost (5 psi). For medium boost (8 psi) and rotor speeds the efficiency drops to about 73%. The efficiency at 15 psi of boost is only 58%. For any given amount of boost a larger rotor will be more efficient than a smaller rotor because the rotor speed will be slower. The output of a Roots blower is pulsating rather than continuous.

17. rocket 5979

City, State:
      Lake Villa, Illinois
      Year and Model:
      '03 XLT 4.6

I can only assume you are talking about adiabatic efficiency. If that is the case then you are mistaken in your figures. The attached compressor map shows that the maximum adiabatic efficiency the Eaton M90 is able to achieve is 62% at 6.5psi with an overall flow of 510 cubic meters per hour of airflow while spinning the blower to just over 6,000 RPM. You are also mistaken in your statement that "For any given amount of boost a larger rotor will be more efficient than a smaller rotor because the rotor speed will be slower". All compressors, including Eaton roots blowers, have an efficiency range that when they are spun into attain good efficiency. Overspin a blower for the combo it is on and the ratio of hp gained per psi boost will decrease. The same can be said when underspinning it too. You have to match the compressor to the combo it is on if you want to maximize performance while keeping IAT's in check.

Attached Files:

18. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      Year and Model:
      First hand experience

Rob, I forgot that you posted the M90 efficiency map earlier on another thread and I made the mistake of referring to a generic Roots type map posted on Wikipedia:
      Roots_Supercharger_efficiency_map.jpg

I learned a long time ago to weigh first hand experience over theoretical speculation and I appreciate you providing your comments. I encourage everyone to correct me when I post something that is inaccurate. We all benefit (especially me) from accurate information.

19. rocket 5979

City, State:
      Lake Villa, Illinois
      Year and Model:
      '03 XLT 4.6

Oh ok. No biggie. Shoot, I wish I were wrong. I wouldn't mind 90% adiabatic efficiency in ANY of the forced induction systems I am running, let alone the Eaton! :D

20. Sedition

Sedition Engine Repair Guy Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Geelong, Australia
      Year and Model:
      98 Explorer XLT SOHC
      subscribed...:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::D

21. ExplorerSHO

ExplorerSHO New Member

City, State:
      Boston, MA
      Year and Model:
      1995 Limited 52k miles
      Try moving your battery to the rear of the truck and upgrade your radiator to a Performance Radiator for better engine cooling as it don't look like you didn't do an engine rebuild to withstand the extra work the engine will have to do with he added torque/work it will have to do. Don't forget a transmission cooler as well.

22. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      Year and Model:
      Explorer Express offerings

Explorer Express is offering Eaton supercharger kits for the 2005 thru 2010 Mustangs with the SOHC V6: Mustang 05-10 Superchargers. The kit includes the EATON/MAGNUSON MP90 4TH GEN SUPERCHARGER.

Explorer Express also plans to offer supercharger kits for the 2001 thru 2010 Rangers with the SOHC V6: Ranger 01-10 Superchargers. The kit includes the EATON/MAGNUSON MP62 4TH GEN SUPERCHARGER.

The MP90 is designed for 3.0L to 5.0L passenger car and light truck engines. The MP62 is designed for 2.5L to 4.0L passenger car and light truck engines. I wonder if Explorer Express will again offer a kit for the Explorer. If not, it might be possible to utilize a Mustang kit. I think the MP90 would be the better choice for the Explorer due to its weight and aerodynamic drag.

23. Carguy3J

Carguy3J Well-Known Member

City, State:
      North East New Jersey
      Year and Model:
      '99 4dr. XLT SOHC A4WD
      Yeah, with a projected price of $4500 (no tuning), or $4700 (w/tuning).......:eek::rolleyes::crazy:

Just buy the RP Caster kit, for the lower intake and all the installation stuff, and find a good used T-Bird Supercoupe M90. Even if you feel the need to have the blower rebuilt, you'd still be waaaayy ahead of the game, compared to the $4500 for the EE kit. No wonder they never sold that many of the old Xcharger.
      As for tuning, it's a pretty straight forward, known combo (assuming you stick with the stock s/c pulley- which gives about 5psi of boost, and a claimed approx 75hp increase). I'm sure James (Henson) can email you a decent tune for it pretty cheap, considering you already have his tuning on your truck.

24. Bronco2

Bronco2 Member

City, State:
      NRW Germany
      Year and Model:
      B2 90 XLT
      Hello,

I run into this thread because i have a m90 xcharger mustang kit which i will install in my 98sohc bronco2 ...

I got a kit which was installed but never run because the guy didnt pay the bill..
      S i got that kit but a few parts are left...
      Like the alternator spacer, .. Anybody know how thick the spacer are?
      Hopefully i will install it next weekend... If i get the information...

Sorry for hijacking ...

25. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      Year and Model:
      Ranger X-Charger

Explorer Express sent me a photo of their soon to be available Ranger X-Charger:
      Ranger_Hi-Po.jpg
      They didn't answer my question about ordering a Ranger kit with the MP90 (available for Mustang SOHC V6) instead of the MP62. They did state that no X-Charger kit is planned for the Explorer. There may not be room in front of the blower pulley for my 4 inch diameter intake tube.
      Intake1.jpg
      I reviewed the Mustang installation instructions which assumes an electronic throttle body that mates to an inlet adapter extension. I don't know if the bolt pattern is identical to that on my 75mm racing throttle body. The stock 19 lb injectors are replaced with 39 lb injectors. The EGR capability is retained but a replacement tube is required. Apparently the stock Mustang MAF sensor is retained which surprises me. Maybe it has a higher flow rate capability than the stock 55mm Explorer MAF sensor. It's too bad they didn't retain the stock air filter enclosure instead of pulling air from inside the engine compartment. Also, I'm not thrilled about having to replace my metal valve covers with the oil filler on the driver side with the plastic valve covers with the oil filler on the passenger side.

26. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      Year and Model:
      98 Mountaineer AWD
      It's interesting, but the cost I'm sure is going to be like the other EE kit they had for the 302, too high.

Their choice of blower size and not using any air cooling system is a very low performance result. There are many Explorer members here that have gone around the EE kit, and/or made their own systems, and are beginning to see result way beyond the EE level results.

I know that swapping an engine to a different option is hard, but the V6 transmission is a very poor unit for any higher power levels. It will do fine in short trip use, where a break down isn't going to be a big deal. For use just close to home and a local track, it's okay but the risk is high.

I'd consider very carefully the task of swapping a 302/4R70W for performance use, and then upgrades don't seriously hurt reliability.