Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

How to: SOHC V6 Timing Chain Parts Removal Procedure

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by 2000StreetRod, May 11, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. 2000StreetRod

2000StreetRod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      Remove primary sprocket assembly

Remove jackshaft front sprocket, chain and crankshaft sprocket as an assembly

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      Remove balance shaft components

Remove the balance shaft guide (below and left of primary tensioner) as shown in the photo below by KC90. The primary chain components (tensioner, guide, crankshaft sprocket and chain) should already be removed.
      BlncShft.jpg
      Remove the balance shaft tensioner below the balance shaft guide.
      Remove the balance shaft chain and crankshaft sprocket

Last edited: May 16, 2011
    4. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      Loosen left camshaft sprocket bolt

Loosen (counterclockwise) left camshaft sprocket retaining bolt. A universal sprocket holder similar the one shown below may be used to prevent the sprocket from rotating.
      SprocketHolder.jpg
      If you have the OTC 6488 timing tool kit camshaft gear holding tool (6478) and camshaft gear holding tool adapter (6482) can be used to prevent the sprocket from rotating.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
    5. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      Remove left guide assembly upper mounting bolt

The photo below by CDW6212R shows the lower section of the cassette after removal of the primary chain and sprockets assembly.
      Projectthread067.JPG
      Remove left guide assembly upper mounting bolt located in the head below the camshaft sprocket.

Last edited: May 12, 2011
    6. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      Remove left guide assembly lower mounting bolt

Remove the left guide assembly lower mounting bolt located in the block between the head and the cassette lower sprocket as shown in the photo below by CDW6212R.
      Projectthread067.JPG

Last edited: May 12, 2011
    7. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      Remove left camshaft sprocket retaining bolt

Remove (counter-clockwise) the reusable left camshaft sprocket retaining bolt.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
    8. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      Remove left cassette

Remove left cassette (camshaft sprocket, guide assembly, chain and inner jackshaft sprocket)

9. ford007

ford007 New Member

1998 Ford Explorer 4.0 SO
      Do you know the name of the plug that you have to remove to get to the rear jack shaft bolt it looks like a freeze plug. I need a new one and the dealer told me the only way to get it is to buy a new jackshaft 1998 ford explorer 4x4 4.0 sohc

10. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      jackshaft rear plug

Cover assy/rear of block jackshaft opening plug F77Z6026AB
      I just checked tascaparts.com and they sell it for $10.67

See: SOHC V6 Timing Chain Related PNs

11. Brentiya725

Brentiya725 New Member

City, State:
      Maryland
      2004 Ford Explorer,AWD V6
      Hello, My explorer is 2004 and timing chain failed, so far it looks like just the right side rear but i dont have the front timing cover off just got the engine out yesterday. So far the Haynes manuals black and white pictures do not do any justice to the repairs needed. The pictures that you have provided are great. In the Haynes manual the assembly procedures are not very good. I am at your second page and was hoping to read on another half hour or so to get a better understanding of timing everything while going back together. Special timing tools required the Haynes manual explains, I was hoping that you had assembly and timing procedures? So far everything looks the same in my engine as in yours even though the years are different. I have also found while looking up parts that some depend on the production date of the engine, how can i determine this on mine? I looked up the vin on FORD site but it does not breakdown the engine? Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Brent, ASE Master Certified Truck Technician (nothing on cars or light trucks)

12. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      SOHC V6 assembly instructions

If you PM me your email address I'll send you a copy of the 2005 Mustang SOHC V6 assembly instructions.

13. icelos1980

icelos1980 New Member

City, State:
      So Cal
      03 Explorer
      Just wanted to say thanks for this write up! Awesome!

My wife and I bought this 03 explorer with engine failure from craigslist sitting at a repair shop. Mechanic speculated it was timing chain failure, but owners didn't want to pay to find out. A few bucks later it was ours.

With this write up (and a bunch of others, including harmonic balancer and new motor swaps) I was able to diagnose, remove motor, and ended up swapping with newer motor over a period of about 2 weeks.

This site is packed full of good stuff! Now.. about that tranny..

14. tsortor

tsortor New Member

2004 Ford Explorer
      Cassette Won't Come Out!

Am I missing something? I've disconnected everything, got the sprockets and chain out, but after 30 minutes of fiddling with this goddamned thing, cannot get this mother f-ing cassette out. The pivot point on the cassette is wider than the opening that it is supposed to fit through. It appears as if I have to remove the head to get this damned thing out.

Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

15. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      tight fit

Some other members have experienced the same problem. I had problems installing the new rear cassette but no problem removing either cassette. See posts #252 thru #256 of this thread: SOHC V6 Timing Chain Saga Apparently there is some variation in the head castings and the openings don't match the block. So far everyone has been able to eventually extract the cassette without removing the head. I'll try to locate the thread that discusses the problem. Are you having problems with both cassettes?

See posts #19 thru #28 of the following thread for one problem: SOHC V6 Rear Cassette Replacement

This thread probably describes the problem you're having: Help! SOHC front timing cassette removal with head in?

Last edited: December 12, 2012
    16. Killerz6

Killerz6 New Member

City, State:
      Morganton, NC
      97' 4.0 SOHC XLT 2WD
      hi, i really appreciate the write up you have made, but i am only having one problem, i am trying to remove the primary cassette. and i noticed above you said it takes an EXTERNAL E-30 socket. i cannot seem to find this socket, i was wondering if you could tell me where you bought this socket or if you have a link or if you even would like to sell it. i am stuck at this part and cannot find the correct external socket size to remove the primary chain. i appreciate ALL of this write up and everything has helped me 100%.

if you could get back to me ASAP i would be much appreciative i have school next week and have the motor out of my car lol

17. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      primary cassette?

I'm not sure what you mean by "the primary cassette". The primary chain is the chain between the crankshaft and the jackshaft. The primary tensioner and guide are the ones associated with that chain. The cassettes are either for the left camshaft or the right camshaft. I can't find the reference to "an External E-30 socket" you mentioned above. I remember that an external torx socket is needed to remove the flexplate to crankshaft bolts and the jackshaft front sprocket retaining bolt but all other timing related sockets are Torx internal. The T-30 is needed for the cassette positioning bolts and can be purchased at most auto parts stores (Auto Zone, Advance Auto, O' Reilly, etc. or Harbor Freight star-bit-set).

18. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      jackshaft front sprocket?

If you're trying to remove the jackshaft front sprocket I think the retaining bolt takes an E-18 socket e-socket-set. Be advised that it is not necessary to remove the jackshaft front sprocket to replace the primary chain tensioner or guide. If you do remove the sprocket or loosen the sprocket retaining bolt you will have to retime the left and right camshaft which normally requires use of the OTC-6488 timing tool kit.

19. 98EdBomber

98EdBomber Active Member

City, State:
      Las Vegas, NV
      98 E.Bauer 4.0(RWD)
      I am only replacing the left cam guide/tensioner as well as the jackshaft guide/tensioner (but thats the easy part). Ive already done the front and rear hydraulic tensioners and it didnt help much so Im assuming some guides are broken.

Here is my only issue before I begin. I am trying to complete this job without the OTC tool.
      So..heres my thinking.

As long as I keep the left cam chain taught (I was thinking of using zip ties) and mark the cam sprocket and camshaft with a scratch awl, when I torque the bolt down, wont the washer allow the cam sprocket bolt to spin until its properly torqued or is this not true? I realize TDC much first be obtained before the loosening/tightening of the cam bolt. Shouldnt I be good as long as my lines stay matched up?

Also I was thinking I could remove the left cassette guide by just removing the upper sprocket and leave the cam chain in (slacked of course so it wont fall off the bottom sprocket). Will the chain get in the way when I try to remove the guide? Thanks for all your posts on this matter. Its given me the confidence to do it myself.

TJ

20. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      pull the valve covers and check

I suggest that you pull off the valve covers and check for broken guide assemblies. If the right one is broken then you'll have to remove the engine to replace it. Look at this thread: SOHC V6 Timing Chain Inspection & Repair

Some members have been unable to remove the left guide assembly lower positioning bolt without removing the front jackshaft sprocket. At some point Ford changed the jackshaft sprocket and the bolt head will not pass thru the sprocket hole. If you loosen the front jackshaft sprocket retaining bolt the right bank compressed valve springs will rotate the jackshaft and timing will be lost.

21. 98EdBomber

98EdBomber Active Member

City, State:
      Las Vegas, NV
      98 E.Bauer 4.0(RWD)
      Is the Jackshaft sprocket keyed onto the jackshaft? I ask because I want to utilize an improvised tool to hold the jackshaft from turning and on your writeup you mentioned (without otc tool) that one could utilize a chain to hold the jackshaft.

Which brings me to my next question. How does holding the sprocket from turning (by way of chain, etc.), hold the jackshaft if the sprocket isnt keyed? I think Im missing something here. Once that bolt is loose, wouldnt the jackshaft spin independently of the sprocket?

Edit: I think I figured it out. The chain is only to hold the crank/jack shaft in order to release the bolt and not used to hold the jackshaft from spinning. So without the OTC holding the right bank cam, how could one replace the left cassette without using the otc cam holding tool? Thats actually what Im not understanding.

Last edited: April 19, 2013
    22. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      jackshaft not keyed

Neither the front nor rear sprockets on the jackshaft are keyed. They are kept in position entirely by the tension of the torqued sprocket retaining bolts. That's why if you loosen either jackshaft sprocket retaining bolt the timing relative to the crankshaft will be lost.
      Your 98 model probably has the older front jackshaft sprocket allowing removal of the left guide assembly lower positioning bolt without loosening the jackshaft front sprocket retaining bolt. Read the thread I referenced. Or, you can remove the front jackshaft sprocket, replace the left cassette and then retime the camshafts. I timed my camshafts without using the tool kit. However, it was much easier to do with the engine out of the vehicle.

I still suggest that you determine what has failed before replacing components. If the rear cassette is bad then the engine has to come out and then everything can be repaired much easier.

23. 98EdBomber

98EdBomber Active Member

City, State:
      Las Vegas, NV
      98 E.Bauer 4.0(RWD)
      Well I took a looksie and the rear appears to be in tact from what I can see. There isnt much room back there with the hood in the way. I replaced the rear hydraulic tensioner last year as well. All of the noise is coming from the front and main chains. And the noise is intermittent. Sometimes I cant even hear it. On start ups it sometimes slaps but not that bad. Ive been driving around on borrowed time thats for sure.

So I went ahead and purchased the left cam guide and jackshaft guide/tensioner and will be replacing those. If the rear goes out, then Im scrapping the vehicle, its as simple as that. I dont have the means to take the engine out. If I do this repair and the rear fails....then it fails. No worries as I havent dumped too much cash into this so far. I will unfortunately have to write it off as a loss and move on. Ive had the beast since she was brand new so if she wants to break on me after this repair, its been a good ride. :)

So anyways, I think I will go with the idea of clamping something underneath the bearing caps. Looks like a few guys have had luck doing that. I just have to figure out how to lock the crank in place before I tighten that cam sprocket bolt - or would locking the cams in place be enough to hold the crank from turning? Id imagine the crank would turn even if the cams were locked. 63 lb-ft is quite a bit of force Id say.

Im trying to think of how I can lock the crank down, but no idea yet. I will have to get creative without the otc tool set. The ratchet strap idea seems like it would work. And hopefully luck will be on my side so I dont have to remove the jackshaft bolt. Im gonna tear into her this weekend and get started. Thanks for taking your time to reply.

24. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      no balance shaft

Since you have 2WD you won't have the balance shaft tensioner and guide to worry about. Often they fail and produce chain rattle.

For the right guide assembly reach down with your fingers and pull up on it and then push it sideways. If it moves significantly then its broken. Make sure the top end of the guide isn't missing.

I used plastic strips to hold my camshaft in place (SOHC V6 Timing Chain Saga) but I don't recommend that method. If the camshaft bearing caps are not carefully removed and installed they can jam and break. It happened to one forum member and was a real pain to resolve. The bearings are not inserts and are machined surfaces in the caps and heads. Several members have used multiple locking pliers to hold the camshafts and I think this is a better method. Just make sure they're not applied to the camshaft lobes.

25. Stuv6courier

Stuv6courier New Member

2005 Ford Courier 4.0 V6
      Hey guys, i'm new to this forum and in need of some help.
      Firstly, this thread is fantastic and thank you for the effort that you've put into showing the job at hand!
      My dilema is that I live in Australia and own a Ford Courier PH which has the same v6 4.0 SOHC borrowed from the Explorer. needless to say, the timing chain rattle has recently become an issue for myself and i am now looking to undertake the repair job on it. Iv confirmed with Ford Australia that the parts are the same codes as the Explorer and mostly the job should be almost identical, other then some minor things with pulling the block out I imagine.
      I was wondering if you had put a list together of all tools/ parts required for the job. Any and all info will be greatly appreciated as i plan to replace all wearable items as I go but need to try and have them all in hand prior to commencing in Jan as we have a 4 day window.

26. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      all related components?

Welcome to the forum!
      How many kilometers are on the odometer?
      Do you plan to replace all of the camshaft timing related components because you only have four days to perform repairs? If not, you may find a surprise when you inspect the components.
      Does your engine have a balance shaft?
      Have the intake manifold gaskets ever been replaced? If not, I suggest replacement.
      I recommend you use the OTC 6488 timing tool kit since it will save time and reduce the risk of timing the camshafts.
      OEM Ford parts in Australia are expensive. You may want to consider an aftermarket parts kit.

Click on the link to "My Helpful Threads" in my signature for timing chain related threads.