Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

How to: SOHC V6 Timing Chain Parts Removal Procedure

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by 2000StreetRod, May 11, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Stuv6courier

Stuv6courier New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2005 Ford Courier 4.0 V6
      Thanks Streetrod,
      There are currently 156000 kms.
      Wasn't planning on replacing all of the camshaft components, no, however that all depends on this surprise? I'm guessing its one of the nasty variety?
      Yes it does have a balance shaft
      The manifold gaskets havnt ever to my knowledge and I highly doubt it. I will be sure to add it to the order list.
      Will be sure to get my hands on the OTC kit as well as the crankshaft holding tool to try make the job easier and smoother.
      Have spoken to Ford about the parts, came in at over $1700 and they can't actually confirm its the upgraded slides ect. I then grabbed the part numbers off them for a number of parts and looked online and they did marry up with the explorer parts so an aftermarket kit will definitely be the way to go.
      As I said im in the phase of trying to get everything i could possibly need to get for the job so that we can have a solid crack at finishing it off in the 4 days.
      Greatly appreciate the help!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. 2000StreetRod

2000StreetRod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      complete timing parts kit

There is a good possibility that your balance shaft chain tensioner, primary (crankshaft to jackshaft) chain tensioner have failed. Also, there is a lesser possibility that one or both cassette guides have failed but you won't know until you remove the valve covers and the timing cover. You probably should buy a complete parts kit to avoid delays when ordering "discovered" failed parts. You may be interested in reading SOHC V6 Timing Chain Parts Sources

4. Stuv6courier

Stuv6courier New Member

2005 Ford Courier 4.0 V6
      Thanks, had a quick read through that and will endeavor to find a OEM complete parts kit. I imagine it will still be alot cheaper ordering from the US as Ford here didnt have any kit options for this engine. I do plan on keeping this car for some time so i'm willing to play a little more for the right parts. This engine was only in the country for 2 years in the Courier and Mazda Bravo before they changed model and cut the petrol option all together. This makes sourcing parts for this motor somewhat difficult.
      Thanks again for the quick replies

5. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      Tasca parts

I purchase all of my new OEM parts from Tasca Parts. However, I'm afraid you'll be disappointed in the prices - especially after paying the import fee. Ford does not sell complete kits like the aftermarket sellers. I expect your cost for parts will exceed $2,000 US. You could potentially save a lot by only purchasing replacements for failed parts but then the vehicle will be down between identifying the parts and ordering/receiving replacements.

6. Stuv6courier

Stuv6courier New Member

2005 Ford Courier 4.0 V6
      Thanks, i was expecting this job to be within that price range for parts. For all of the timing cassette parts Ford Australia quoted me over 1700 which was only scraping the surface of the parts im going to require for the job not to mention they couldnt tell me if the slides were the original or the reinforced.
      Ill be sure to let you know how it all goes, thanks for the info!

7. stickboy

stickboy New Member

City, State:
      Missoula, MT
      99' Explorer Limited 4x4
      I am in the middle of the reassembly stage. I removed both heads as one of the gaskets was blown. As a result, I removed both cams. The LH cam has the CPS stub that sticks up at TDC. The right hand one, however, has two flat spots, one on either side. I put a mark on one of the flat spots, and I am pretty sure it was at TDC when I did that, but I am not 100% positive. Is there a trick other than the flat spot method I have seen people mention to make sure it is in phase with the other cam? If I put the mark side up, the front lobes for #1 point up at about 45 degree angles, and there is tension on the exhaust valve for #3 . Is this correct? The other way there is no tension on any of the valves, which matches the other cam, so I am assuming that is wrong.

8. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      use the timing slots

When piston 1 is at TDC the timing slots for both camshafts should be below the axis of the camshaft and parallel to the head surface that mates with the valve cover.
      cam1.jpg
      That's the only accurate method.

9. stickboy

stickboy New Member

City, State:
      Missoula, MT
      99' Explorer Limited 4x4
      Perfect! I never noticed the offset. Thanks much! :)

10. Randy Kirkman

Randy Kirkman New Member

City, State:
      Anaheim ca
      1998 ford explorer
      tool

hey for those of you needing the tool kit for the 4.0 sohc timing chain go to specialty auto tool rentals there in Chicago they ups it to you, 5 day rental + ups less than $100 hope this helps

11. Randy Kirkman

Randy Kirkman New Member

City, State:
      Anaheim ca
      1998 ford explorer
      tools

tool # 6488

12. M_williams

M_williams New Member

City, State:
      Pittsburgh PA
      02 ford explorer
      Hello all. I'm elbow deep in a front cassette and tensioner replacement. After tear down I've found the balance shafts tensioner is broken. I have not pulled the more due to the rear cassette is in good shape. I have read some people have successfully replaced the balance shafts tensioner without removing the motor by removing the actual spring and plastic from the bracket and installing in on the existing bracket. Has anyone attempted this and if so how was it achieved? My thoughts on it were made I could cut the chair off install the new tensioner and then install the new chain. In doing that I wasn't sure how to remove the crankshaft gear and once it is removed if the chain has enough slack to fit on the balance shaft and then be able to slide back on the crankshaft without bending the chain. Any input would be great. This forum has been a lifesaver for many people I hope it's as useful for me as everyone else. Thanks

13. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      balance shaft chain tensioner

I couldn't find the original post but:

Replacing the entire balance shaft chain tensioner requires removal of the block cradle since the tensioner base retaining bolts are in the vertical position. Item 2 below.
      Timing3.jpg
      Some members have successfully replaced just the spring portion of the tensioner by bending the pivot post out of position, sliding off the old spring section, sliding on the new spring section, and then bending back the post.
      BlncShft.jpg
      It is unknown how much the stress of bending the post reduces its reliability. Some members have just cut the balance shaft chain rather than remove and reinstall the block cradle to correctly replace the tensioner. There has been much discussion on the forum about the need for a functional balance shaft because of the difficulty associated with chain tensioner replacement or because of the desire to replace a balance shaft equipped engine with an available engine with no balance shaft (or vice versa).
      It may not be possible to remove the chain without removing the balance shaft chain sprocket on the crankshaft.
      SOHCvalvetrain.JPG
      In order to do that the crankshaft to jackshaft chain sprocket must be removed which means the camshafts will have to be retimed.

14. M_williams

M_williams New Member

City, State:
      Pittsburgh PA
      02 ford explorer
      Thanks for the input 2000StreetRod you have been so helpful to many over the years. One other question. Is a regular gear puller used to remove the balancer sprocket off of the crankshaft? It moves until it comes into contact with the crank keyway. I wasn't sure if it had to be rotated with the chain off to remove or it had to be removed with a puller. I was thinking that I could cut the old chain remove the gear then install the tensioner or just pull the gear far enough to squeeze the tensioner behind it. I could see bending the post down far enough to get the clearance to slide the tensioner on. My only concern is getting the tensioner to fit under the chain between it and the tensioner bracket. it's pretty tight in there. I know you haven't tried this yourself so your input is limited so if you remember anyone who has successfully done it please send them my way. Thanks again

15. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      used old chain

I think the two members that bent the pivot post left the balance shaft chain in place to avoid retiming the camshafts. The Woodruff key for the crankshaft to jackshaft chain sprocket should be removable by prying. If you remove it I suggest replacing it with a new one. I'll look thru my workshop manuals about removing the balance shaft chain.

16. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      keyed sprocket

The workshop manual wasn't any help but Tasca Parts has a photo of the balance shaft chain crankshaft sprocket.
      BalanceShaftChainCrankSprocket.jpg
      The key is part of the casting and must fit in the same slot on the crankshaft as the crankshaft to jackshaft chain sprocket
      PrimaryChainCrankshaftSprocket.jpg
      and the harmonic balancer which both depend on a Woodruff key. So you'll have to remove the crankshaft to jackshaft chain sprocket, then the Woodruff key in order to remove the balance shaft chain sprocket.

17. M_williams

M_williams New Member

City, State:
      Pittsburgh PA
      02 ford explorer
      OK I'm going to try it today. Thank you for the input. I will post my results good or bad. Hopefully good.

18. twotoneexplorer

twotoneexplorer New Member

City, State:
      Mlsp MN
      2000 ford (Fubar)
      pulling motor 4.0 SOHC

2000streetrod, I'm pulling out my motor in my 2000 4.0L SOHC 4wd tonight. Have the timing chain kit, head gaskets, ect.... your article you wrote up was great! You mentioned something about sending a email with the info in it. would very much appreciate your help! ajrickey@gmail.com.

19. formulaone

formulaone New Member

City, State:
      Marquette,Michigan
      98 Sport 4X4
      First let me say what an excellent thread I have to say it's equal to or better than the Ford shop disc for reference and procedure.

The only thing I did not see made reference to or maybe I have one someone worked on in the past but just about every single bolt I touched had red thread lock used on them including the bell housing bolts which I ended up mangling the heads 2 had to have nuts welded on them to get them off. I even found thread lock on the motor mount brackets today.

Anyhow my question is all three of my left/driver side pistons have a 2 stamped on the piston heads at the 3 o'clock position looking at the engine from the flywheel end. There are other marking and a arrow pointing forward on all the Pistons which was to be expected.

Any suggestions what the #2 means?

Again great thread, thank you for it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just as an update I believe my problem started with the rear jackshaft bolt breaking, my slide material all looked good and all the mounting bolts were in tact but the metal was ripped apart on all the tensioners at the mounting bolts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: January 31, 2016
    20. Tech By Trade

Tech By Trade Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Your mom's house
      07 Sport Trac
      Looks like someone replaced those timing chains without replacing the Torque to Yield one time use bolts.

21. formulaone

formulaone New Member

City, State:
      Marquette,Michigan
      98 Sport 4X4
      That could very well explain the thread lock on all the mounting bolts, the new bolts from Ford were all bare threads.

22. formulaone

formulaone New Member

City, State:
      Marquette,Michigan
      98 Sport 4X4
      One suggestion I'd like to make that I have not seen in any of these threads but consider stuffing something into the cylinder head oil return ports when using the OTC tool kit, it would be a bugger to drop one of the small bolts into the engine being that close to being finished with it (I did not drop anything into the engine).

My almost finished project

[​IMG]

23. mikefarar

mikefarar New Member

City, State:
      omaha, ne
      2003 Ford Explorer S trac
      jack shaft replacement

Great posting. You've saved me a world of headaches. I am trying to find a replacement jackshaft plug. Not finding it listed. What did you search for to order a replacement?

24. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      jackshaft rear plug

cover assembly - rear P/N F77Z6026AB

25. mikefarar

mikefarar New Member

City, State:
      omaha, ne
      2003 Ford Explorer S trac
      cover assembly

You are AMAZING! Fast reply was unbelievable. Thanks a million.

26. Sethblacktan

Sethblacktan New Member

City, State:
      Woodbridge va
      97 explorer sport
      Hey bud can you send me the procedure you were talking about? I have a good grasp on it but would like to go by some directions.