Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

SOHC V6 Timing Chain Parts Removal Procedure

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by 2000StreetRod, May 11, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. 2000StreetRod

2000StreetRod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      00 Sport FI,03 Limited V8
      Unless things have changed with the new website format, I can't send attachments via PMs. If you PM me your email address I'll send you the assembly instructions.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Gavin Grubbs

Gavin Grubbs New Member

City, State:
      Muncie Indiana
      2000 Ford Explorer sohc
      Hey Buddy I have tore my 4.0 v6 down already and am getting ready for reassembly. I have a few questions for you. I understand that the notch has to be above the axis for the camshaft to be properly timed. But what about the other cam ? And also could you provide me the documented reassembly procedure you mentioned? I'd appreciate your time !

4. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
    5. Mustang_danny

Mustang_danny New Member

City, State:
      Lubbock
      2003 Ford sport track
      I no this is old but I'm working on replacing the heads on one and im already ready for re assembly is there anyway you could send me the instructions for timing it all I have off is the heads and the engine is out already also I don't have any of the special tools

6. flwest05

flwest05 New Member

City, State:
      Florida
      2004 explorer

7. flwest05

flwest05 New Member

City, State:
      Florida
      2004 explorer

8. rewind1

rewind1 Collector of Broken Fords Elite Explorer

City, State:
      New Haven, CT
      98 Mounty/03 Eddie/02 XLT
      I currently have my engine out and have already replaced my rear timing chain.
      I am working on the front now and specifically the balance shaft chain but I have two problems...

1 - I cant seem to get the balance shaft chain sprocket off of the crank shaft, the keyway is lined up but it's not clearing it. Almost as if the key on the crank is raised.
      2 - The keyway on the crank is straight up but the timing marks on the balance shaft sprocket are not lined up correctly.
      [​IMG]

9. Tech By Trade

Tech By Trade Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Your mom's house
      07 Sport Trac
      Take the entire balancer off and spin it until it lines up and put it back on, the gear is not to be taken off.

10. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      The balance shaft timing will be correct unless the chain has been removed or broken and replaced. It may take as many as 7 rotations of the crankshaft before the timing marks on the balance shaft sprocket line up correctly. Do not loosen the balance shaft sprocket retaining bolt. There are no alignment marks on the balance shaft. See the following thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...e-shaft-timing-procedure.400819/#post-3250999

11. rewind1

City, State:
      New Haven, CT
      Thanks for the info on the alignment @Tech By Trade and @2000StreetRod.

Any thoughts on why I can't seem to get the sprocket off the crank? I'm contemplating not even changing the balance shaft chain now because it seems impossible without damaging the crank. I must be missing something simple.

12. Tech By Trade

Tech By Trade Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Your mom's house
      07 Sport Trac
      Pull the balance shaft to get the chain off, then the crank sprocket should pull straight off.

13. rewind1

City, State:
      New Haven, CT
      My bad, I didn't realize that the keyway pops out. Dad had to show me. At least I learned something new today.
      Thanks for the replies and thanks for the wealth of information Dale!

14. Drewmcg

Drewmcg Member

City, State:
      Ann Arbor, MI
      2002 Explorer XLS Flex2WD
      First, a thousand thanks to Dale (2000streetrod) for his many helpful guides on this engine!

I'm on my second engine pull/timing chain replacement on 3rd gen Explorers (June 2002 motors, both of 'em). One had a completely shattered right (rear) cassette at 176k miles (confirming Dale's view that even the re-designed cassettes fail); the other has no issues and still runs strong at 116k miles. But I'm changing the primary and two upper timing chain kits on this engine for longevity, while I have it out and on an engine stand. I know from replacing the rings and close examination of the cylinders on the higher-mileage engine that these cast iron German (?) blocks stand up to miles extremely well.

At post #15 of this (removal) thread, there is a potential landmine. In it, Dales suggests using both camshaft locking tools from the OTC 6488 kit to hold the right cam when loosing the right (reverse thread) camshaft sprocket nut. Do not do this--or if you do so, only use both with a breaker bar to break torque, then remove the sprocket locking tool (OTC 511546, aka # 6478, "Ford Camshaft Gear Holding Tool," with the circle/pins insert, # 511550, aka # 6482). Here's why:

The camshaft sprocket bolts on these engines have a very thick, heavy gauge washer. If you place the camshaft sprocket locking tool from OTC kit on the right (rear) sprocket, and then do what I did and buzz it out with an impact wrench, you risk fouling the last couple of threads of the threaded socket in the end of the right camshaft that holds the bolt! There is not enough depth for the bolt w/washer to fully extract with that tool in place, but this is not obvious to the mechanic. The thick washer binds on the tool but cannot slide over the treads of the bolt.

I believe this is precisely what happened to the poster in this thread: www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-remove-install-camshaft-on-sohc-v6.316780/ . Swapping camshafts to solve the problem (if one is available) brings its own major problems and risks, as discussed in that thread.

The fix I am pursing is to order a left-hand thread M10 X 1.0 tap (plug taps are more common; tapered tap preferred); to clean up the thread; and reinstall with my new timing chain cassette.

Unfortunately, left hand thread taps are next to impossible to find. Regal Cutting Tools in Chicago has them, but would not sell direct to me. They would ship next day to a local Fastenall, but at a price I found unacceptable (nearly $100). So I'm waiting 2-3 weeks for a <$20 solution from China. Good thing I have lots of other projects to do on this vehicle in the mean time!

I doubt very much that the gear holding tool is needed to break tension on the rear jackshaft bolt in the first place, at least if you've got the camshaft locking tool on the front of engine on the passenger side and have not already loosened the cam bolt on that side. Just be sure that the two cutouts in the front end of the right camshaft fully engage the nubs on OTC 6480 before trying to turn the rear jackshaft bolt. Sames goes when you're removing the right camshaft bolt.

Use the same precautions when removing the left (front) cam sprocket bolt.

Last edited: June 3, 2017
    15. Dbbooth

Dbbooth New Member

City, State:
      Las Vegas, Nevada
      1997 Explorer XLT SOHC
      Thanks so much for all the posts on this. I just finished my sons 97 Explorer using all the info I got here. We'll be cranking it up and testing tonight. Wish us luck and thanks again for all the help!

16. hondaslave1342

hondaslave1342 New Member

City, State:
      Chattanooga
      2005 Ford Sport Trac XLT
      I sure would love a copy also..thanks a million

17. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      I'll need your email address.

18. hondaslave1342

hondaslave1342 New Member

City, State:
      Chattanooga
      2005 Ford Sport Trac XLT
      mderanian@yahoo.com..thanks so much..i bought a 05 st and didnt have a clue about these timing chains..i changed several timing belts and i dread tackling this mess..my st has 210000 runs great but has the rattle at start up...im thinking about selling it but dont want to put someone through this..i dont feel right about it..so taking the engine out is recommended..thanks