For Sale - SOLD - 1996 Ford Explorer Limited Ivory Pearlescent w/ Tan Leather -$1750 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

For Sale SOLD - 1996 Ford Explorer Limited Ivory Pearlescent w/ Tan Leather -$1750

AeroJammin

Reaction score
City, State
Destin, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Limited AWD 5.0
Truck has sold

Up for sale is our 1996 5.0L Ford Explorer Limited. It has been a great vehicle for our family. This is the Limited model, which was a higher grade than the Eddie Bauer edition as you probably already know, so it has all the options for the 2nd get Explorers. Limiteds used Ford's AWD system that gives you full time four wheel drive. The color is Ivory Pearlescent with tan leather interior.

My wife’s parents purchased this Explorer new, and we got it from them with all of its repair records and the original sticker (this was $35k!). Through the years it has been an incredibly reliable vehicle in all weather conditions (rain, mud, snow, ice) and is perfect for taking the family to the beach. The only reason we are parting with it now is because we got a newer vehicle for my wife, and our small driveway just doesn’t have room for us to keep three vehicles.

I can answer just about any question you have about the Explorer, but keep in mind this is a 20 year old SUV, which means it isn’t a perfect car. With a little TLC it could be a cheap, reliable ride. The NADA and KBB put the value at `~1750, but I am open to offers. If you are seriously interested, I can send more pictures as needed. Truck is located in Destin, FL.

Highlights
  • New fuel pump installed at a Ford dealer ($800+) a couple years ago
  • New Goodyear Wranglers put on in 2016.
  • 5.0L 302 cubic inch V8 drives great
  • Full time 4wd / 4x4 aka AWD which means it can get you where you need to go. (It was great in the snow / ice when we lived in Tennessee)
  • This was a $35k vehicle when new, which means it has all the options.
  • This is a one family vehicle.
  • Title in hand, ready to sell!

Lowlights
  • Has trouble maintaining RPM right after starting while in Park or Neutral. I just feather the gas and switch to a gear and it runs fine after that. Usually it idles fine in P or N after driving it around for a while. I think it may be the IAC or a small vacuum leak.
  • Odometer worm gear broke a few years ago. This SUV has been used mainly to go to the beach or home improvement store for the last couple of years. I would guess the true mileage is around 230k.
  • The A/C is not working. I was told the system holds refrigerant but that the compressor was not working. Compressors are about $200 for a new one or $75 for used. We just didn’t the need A/C fixed, and I now don’t have time to fix it.
  • There is a small oil leak. Basically, it leaves a spot if left parked for a few days. Nothing serious, I just add a little oil when it gets low.
  • The sunroof has a small leak. In hard rain, I’ve noticed some water drops on the passenger seat and traced it to the sunroof.
  • Driver’s side low beam is out. I replaced the bulb, but that wasn’t it. Maybe the lamp out module?
  • A few small issues consistent with a 20 year old SUV with 200k+ miles like: driver’s seat has tear, rock chips, surface oxidation on undercarriage, driver's door handle is loose, rear wiper is missing, radio doesn’t turn off, couple of blown rear speakers, CD changer is missing, etc.

2016-05-06 06.55.02.jpg

2016-05-06 06.54.31.jpg

IMG_2265.jpg

IMG_2267.jpg

IMG_2266.jpg

IMG_2270.jpg

IMG_2292.jpg

IMG_2293.jpg

Back