• Register Today It's free!

Solenoid pack? 5R55S

dn010

Reaction score
City, State
Seminole, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Sport Trac XLT
Hey guys, new to the forum but have been reading here and there in this forum for years.

I've been driving my 2007 Sport Trac since 2010, I got it with 57Kmi on it. Now I've got 124Kmi on it, engine is 4.0L and lovely 5r55s trans. Yesterday while driving home I took a turn, applied the gas abruptly, felt a thud and noticed my shifting was acting different. At first it felt like the trans was slipping and the shifts weren't really as hard as before. It seemed as if it was a subtle difference but I've been driving this vehicle so long I can just tell something is not quite right. I got home and turned the truck off, turned the key on without starting the engine and went through each gear. The audible, single "click" I used to hear when shifting into D-1-2-3 etc is now very quiet, weak multiple ticks, I almost thought it was the exhaust cooling and making it's usual ticking noise at first. I drove the truck to work so far today and it is shifting through each gear normally, downshifting normally but since yesterday I'm trying to go easy, slow starts at the lights, etc.

Would this indicate that my solenoid pack is going? The only thing I've done to this trans from 57kmi to the 124 I currently have now is a fluid/filter change and that was probably back at 90 kmi. I will be dropping the pan this weekend in order to see if there is any debris etc.

Thanks for any help!

-----Dan B.

So I am still driving and my truck is still moving but I still notice shifting being different compared to before. Can anyone at least tell me if their sport trac has a loud click if you shift between 1-2-3?

Back