Sony Radio Panel Upgrade in 2015 to 2016 -19 Panel | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sony Radio Panel Upgrade in 2015 to 2016 -19 Panel

Amir10

Reaction score
City, State
Garland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Limited
Hello,
Is there a way I can upgrade my radio panel in my 2015 Explorer Limited, the one with a touch panel and no buttons, to something like the newer ones installed on the 2016/2017 limited explorers? The newer ones have buttons in place of the touch. As you can imagine, the touch panel is very annoying especially while driving. There is no way to develop muscle memory and quickly press a button. You always have to look down and the panel is always partially blocked by the shifter. I assume Ford realized this design error, hence why the newer systems have buttons instead of touch.

The two images below shows this better than I can describe it. The question again is if I can install the newer system in my 2015. I intend to upgrade MFT to Sync3 as well, as provided by 4Dtech.com

The System in my 2015 Explorer Limited
suvs-expl-limited-img4.jpg

The Newer 2016/2017 System
2016-Ford-Explorer-7-630x420.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think this has been attempted. At least as far as I recall. I haven't seen how the touch buttons are set up or wired so I can't speculate how easily you can change to a button type faceplate.
Cluster & Switches for 2017 Ford Explorer | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake Unfortunately the part you want doesn't show pricing.

I believe the reason Ford went back to physical buttons was because they received complaints about the touch buttons. It did not have to do with the shifter being in the way or memorizing where the buttons are located.

Peter

I would imagine that it would work unless they changed the connector. This module is called FCIM or Front Control Interface Module. peterk9 is correct, this change was initiated due to poor feedback on the capacitive touch controls.

Here is one for sale - FORD EXPLORER 2016 Radio/Audio CONTROL PANEL 704272 OEM PN # GB5T18A802HG | eBay

UPDATE: Looks like they did change the connector to the FCIM for 2016 so you would need to modify the wiring harness. 2016-2018 panels have a keyed square connector whereas 2011-2015 have a T-shaped connector.

I would imagine that it would work unless they changed the connector. This module is called FCIM or Front Control Interface Module. peterk9 is correct, this change was initiated due to poor feedback on the capacitive touch controls.

Here is one for sale - FORD EXPLORER 2016 Radio/Audio CONTROL PANEL 704272 OEM PN # GB5T18A802HG | eBay

UPDATE: Looks like they did change the connector to the FCIM for 2016 so you would need to modify the wiring harness. 2016-2018 panels have a keyed square connector whereas 2011-2015 have a T-shaped connector.

So say I cut the T-shaped connector from the 2011-2015 and attache it to the 2016 wiring harness. Do you think this work just fine? Are the wires similar?

Has anyone figured out if this was possible? Or, if there's another thread that this has been answered, does anyone know what to even search?

I have not found anything to indicate that this has been done before.
BTW, the thread starter hasn't been active here since July 17, 2018.

Peter

Back