sound like driving over rumble strips | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

sound like driving over rumble strips

87tpita

Reaction score
City, State
Tinley park Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 xlt 4x4 4.0
I randomly here what sounds to be driving over rumble strips on the expressway coming from the car. It doesn't seem to be speed slightly moving the front steering wheel will occasionally cause it to get better or stop completely. And it only last for 1 to 2 seconds and very random. Anybody have any idea where I should start looking?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like the bearings or maybe just a bad tire?

Thanks, im going to check the bearings this weekend hopefully

If the third gens have a C.V. front drive shaft, I’d suspect that first. Pull the shaft and try driving without it for a day.

I don’t believe so. I know on second gens you can pull it with no issues. (Except the AWDs will drift slowly in park)

Mine is the full-time 4 wheel drive. Not sure if it would be considered AWD since it has a high and low 4 by 4 option

You should be okay. It’s the viscous coupling that allows it to slip.(in the single speed all wheel drive V8s) I don’t think that’s an issue with the electromagnetic clutches in the selectable cases.

So it turns out the front wheel bearing driver side and the rear wheel bearing driver side are both in pretty bad shape. Have a new Moog assembly coming for the rear today and a hub and bearing assembly coming for the front. Hopefully this will take care of the issue

Got the rear knuckle and rear wheel bearing replaced today. Did the brake pads while I was down there and bleed both sides. the moog knuckle needing a 17 mm style rear tie rod so even though it was in good condition ended up replacing that as well. The back bearing was unbelievably bad. Would only move in quarter inch fragments so I'm sure that's majority of the sound I was hearing. Will be tackling the front tomorrow.

Front and rear are done with new brake pads on the back. It's nice to drive down the street and not sound like a raptor fighter jet

Congrats. How many miles on your truck? Any evidence of previous bearing replacement on the front or the rear?

Also, did you replace the the entire left rear assembly with the Moog LK002 part (https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8476948&cc=1377660&jsn=353)? I'm curious why you went that route instead of taking the old knuckle to a shop to press in a new bearing (using same hub, backing plate, etc.)? Seems like the DIY work would be the same either way (remove and reinstall knuckle).

And are you saying if one orders the Moog part they are required to order a new toe link, too? What is the 17mm that you refer to--the size of the toe link bolt? Why would that matter to the knuckle? Thanks.

It’s easy to misassemble press in bearings and get very little life out of them.

Most likely it is the torque converter slipping. I had this problem with my 4.6 and just had it fixed today. Shop said that if it isn’t too bad then a fluid change using Amsoil fixes it. $413 bucks later it fixed it. The V8 is a 6 speed audio so it uses more fluid. My explorer has 167k miles and the shudder sound started at around 150k.

Most likely it is the torque converter slipping. I had this problem with my 4.6 and just had it fixed today. Shop said that if it isn’t too bad then a fluid change using Amsoil fixes it. $413 bucks later it fixed it. The V8 is a 6 speed audio so it uses more fluid. My explorer has 167k miles and the shudder sound started at around 150k.

Was the amsoil fluid change $413? What fluid did they use?

Yes $413 included the Amsoil fluid, filter and labor. Not sure what type of Amsoil but I can ask the shop if you like.

It's not that important, just curious though which would be compatible with the SP fluid.

Back