Spare tire winch repurpose, ‘utility’ tray. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spare tire winch repurpose, ‘utility’ tray.

Still thinking on this. I have some ideas, and laid done stuff out for dimensions. It’s been around it below zero, which is stalling my process a little. I’m going in a much different way than I originally envisioned. Almost surely going with 80/20 extrusions. I’m going to lay it out in AutoCAD and post my rough ( probably very

After reading online I think I might scrap the isolator and go with a high current relay instead.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Still thinking on this. I have some ideas, and laid done stuff out for dimensions. It’s been around it below zero, which is stalling my process a little. I’m going in a much different way than I originally envisioned. Almost surely going with 80/20 extrusions. I’m going to lay it out in AutoCAD and post my rough ( probably very

After reading online I think I might scrap the isolator and go with a high current relay instead.
Post any schematics you have in mind too, if you would. It might help others do similar things. I find it easier to "see" a wiring idea when it's visual. I've got a dual fuel pump planned, and I needed to write it down to work out the two relays and switch, to make it work.

Yeah, I’ll post everything in a how-to sort of fashion, although I’m sure it’s not something that anyone will copy.

Got the main structure and associated hardware all gathered up. I’ll need more for the uprights, and two struts to span the gap to support the battery box, and connections and electronics enclosure.

I’ve ditched the idea of a battery isolator due to some drawbacks I’ve read about them. I’m going to use a heavy duty 500 amp winch contractor instead. I’ll wire a voltage monitor on series with the coil power so if voltage on the main battery drops below nominal it’ll open the circuit to the auxiliary battery. I’ll wire a toggle switch into the cabin so I can bypass the volt monitor and jump myself if needed.

5E9C0DB7-7E60-42BB-833A-A9C821598EF1.jpeg

Got the structure hardware all sorted out, and assembled. I was originally planning on using two matching, new group 65 batteries. Apparently this is a very uncommon size for battery boxes. So, now I am looking at two options. Use a group 24-31 conventional lead acid battery, or use a group 31 deep cycle battery.

I wired two batteries in the back of my old Bronco. You can use a starting relay/solenoid to isolate or include a battery with the flip of a switch. (Inexpensive)

I can't think of what I would put back behind the rear axle other than a relatively light weight compressor and tank. IMHO I wouldn't want the weight of batteries back that far.

The weight will be irrelevant. The spare isn’t exactly light, and The truck is front heavy, anyways I’m using a 500a continuous duty winching relay to ‘isolate” them.

Only a single rear battery.

The weight will be irrelevant. The spare isn’t exactly light, and The truck is front heavy, anyways I’m using a 500a continuous duty winching relay to ‘isolate” them.

Only a single rear battery.
I like what you are doing. Like I said my opinion on putting the weight back that far..................I had an old starter relay/solenoid and used it after looking at the price for isolator switches and stuff.

Back