1. Tip... Did you know that if you hold most smartphones sideways you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum?
    Dismiss Notice

for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Spark Plug Gap Question

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by sarahsdaddy, June 10, 2010.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. sarahsdaddy

sarahsdaddy New Member

City, State:
      Ashland, VA
      Year and Model:
      2000 XLT
      I can't believe I have to post for this, but I just picked some Motorcraft SP-500 AGSF22FM plugs for my 2000 Ex SOHC, and the gap spec is .052-.056. I can't find a gap gauge anywhere that goes higher than .045. How do I measure this? I tried to search on info that says they may ship with a certain gap and the best I came up with is one reference to them being .054, but not a reference I'd want to count on. Worst case I can slap them in as is and they'd be a big improvement over the nubs left on the current plugs.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Dan Whitaker

Dan Whitaker One fast putty tat Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Raytown MO (Kansas City suburb)
      Year and Model:
      No Mounty no more.
      I have a spark gap tool I bought from O'Reilly's that goes to .060

Today's cars need a lager gap due to the increased spark. I don't know why all you can find only goes to .045

4. sarahsdaddy

sarahsdaddy New Member

City, State:
      Ashland, VA
      Year and Model:
      2000 XLT
      Hmmm, I guess I'll keep looking. Would be obscene to have to order one and I want to do it this weekend. I was wondering why the Ex was still pinging lightly after I did all the other maintenance and found out why when I pulled a plug. The previous owner spent bucks on some things but skipped the basics.

5. sarahsdaddy

sarahsdaddy New Member

City, State:
      Ashland, VA
      Year and Model:
      2000 XLT
      Never mind, it appears NAPA has a couple that go to .1", hopefully in stock locally.

6. safn1949

safn1949 Active Member

City, State:
      Mankato, Minnesota
      Year and Model:
      M60A1 my first offroader
      Yep,the guy I bought the 2000 from kept it really clean but never replaced anything until it started to fall off.:D