• Register Today It's free!

Spark plug upgrade

Janob09

Reaction score
City, State
Earlysville va
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 explorer sport
Happy Saturday folks, I couldn't find any thread specifically on upgrading spark plugs on a stock 2014 ex Sport so here I am. I plan on replacing them soon(nearing 50k), even though I know it's not recommended yet... But was curious if there are any "upgraded" plugs from stock and if anyone had any recommendations. Also, could I expect any noticable difference with an upgraded/properly gapped plug? The only thing that isn't stock about my Sport is a drop in k&n filter(no difference in performance, other than a little sound) and 265/50/20 tires.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

New plugs almost always give better performance that those with 50 K miles on them.

Before you change the plugs, it might be a good idea to clean out the throttle body and the Mass Airflow Sensor.

Run it for about 15 minutes on the old plugs first to burn off all of the washed out goo from the throttle body.

I wouldn't want all of that stuff to coat my new plugs.

As for an upgrade?

Have not heard of any.

Personally I would stay away from any "Fine Wire" type plug.

It may have cost me an engine a few years back...
IMG_3367.JPG

Just use stock replacement. Not enough performance wise done to the vehicle to warrant anything other than stock.

Priced some plugs online and it seems that the OE Motorcraft plugs are on the higher end of the price range spectrum. I'm not super worried about the cost, but would there be any drawback to getting comparable NGK or e3 plugs? I see that the e3 plugs are pretty highly rated across the board

Also, I've read on an F150 Ecoboost forum that setting gap to. 0300 is best. I know these engines differ in some ways, but is there anything that can be done with gap?

Whats factory gap?

I can seem to find what factory gap is... Find the OE plugs online but no place tells you what the factory gap is.

Sticker under the hood or in the engine compartment with the engine size and class information.

Happy Saturday folks, I couldn't find any thread specifically on upgrading spark plugs on a stock 2014 ex Sport so here I am. I plan on replacing them soon(nearing 50k), even though I know it's not recommended yet... But was curious if there are any "upgraded" plugs from stock and if anyone had any recommendations. Also, could I expect any noticable difference with an upgraded/properly gapped plug? The only thing that isn't stock about my Sport is a drop in k&n filter(no difference in performance, other than a little sound) and 265/50/20 tires.
Just FYI; 2014 Explorer Sport Spark Plug Replacement
Explorer spark plugs replacement see 2nd video re gaps

Peter

So from what @swshawaii sent which engine do you have?

Never saw it posted, or I may be speed reading again...

Peter, thank you but it looks like that thread is for a na 3.5v6 not the Ecoboost.
Shucker1 Factory gap is 0.033–0.037

I didn't specify which engine I had, I did however mention it was a 2014 Sport. So 3.5 Ecoboost for those that are unfamiliar.

Looking at what you have, I don't see where .030 would gain anything except to eat plug tips up.

I would stick to mid range of factory settings.

The technicals behind spark plug flame kernel vs fuel burn propitiation will take a little while to write up.

All of my knowledge is based on 20 years of Slow Speed Stationary gas fired engines.

These Big Boys run 24\7 (365) moving gas down a pipeline or in a chemical plant but the concept is the same.

Looking at what you have, I don't see where .030 would gain anything except to eat plug tips up.

I would stick to mid range of factory settings.

The technicals behind spark plug flame kernel vs fuel burn propitiation will take a little while to write up.

All of my knowledge is based on 20 years of Slow Speed Stationary gas fired engines.

These Big Boys run 24\7 (365) moving gas down a pipeline or in a chemical plant but the concept is the same.
Thanks! I will likely keep gap within factory recommendations.
Anyone have input on good alternatives to Motorcraft OE plugs?

Back