Spartan Locker | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spartan Locker

Got mine put in this morning. You can hardly hear it with no radio, and the windows down. Can not wait to take it wheeling!The hardest part I had with it was refilling the diff. Only took me 4 hrs by myself.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got mine put in this morning. You can hardly hear it with no radio, and the windows down. Can not wait to take it wheeling!The hardest part I had with it was refilling the diff. Only took me 4 hrs by myself.

That's good! Have any problems putting it in?

That's good! Have any problems putting it in?

No problems, went much easier than I thought. Upper control arm and toe link came out by there self's.

Has anyone had any experiences yet driving in the snow with the locker?

I have. i actually felt more safe driving it 2wd with the locker than i did in 4x4 before the locker. you really have to gas it to fishtail the truck. But my tires have pretty good tread life and snow traction...

No issues with the rear coming out going 70+ on a snow covered highway either.

Thank you for your input! I go to school in Minnesota and wasn't sure if that was going to halt my plans for a locker. The part that had me worrying was the thought driving over 65 and fishtailing....

I held off for a whole year because of not knowing how the locker would act with Michigan snow storms. Definitely wish I wouldve had this thing installed sooner

I held off for a whole year because of not knowing how the locker would act with Michigan snow storms. Definitely wish I wouldve had this thing installed sooner

Knock it off bro, I can't afford a locker right now. Quit talking me into it ;)

Lol. I can guarantee that the first mod I do to any of my future trucks/suvs will be a locker. Off road capabilities aside, I can cut people off without worrying about spinning a tire, I can turn corners fast and everyone looks at me, my drifting skills have greatly impproved, and I can do donuts when it rains

Glad to see the long term feedback here...thinking about adding a lunchbox locker to the 2003 Explorer after the trip to Utah and Colorado.

I can't cheaply add travel to the rear IFS to keep the tires planted, but a locker would at least provide " 3 wheel drive" :D

Any issues with 4x4 Auto? Or do you have to do the brown wire mod?

Glad to see the long term feedback here...thinking about adding a lunchbox locker to the 2003 Explorer after the trip to Utah and Colorado.

I can't cheaply add travel to the rear IFS to keep the tires planted, but a locker would at least provide " 3 wheel drive" :D

Any issues with 4x4 Auto? Or do you have to do the brown wire mod?

No issues with the 4x4 Auto. I never did the brown wire mod, but never seemed like I had to.

Just recently installed this thing and HOLY CRAP what a difference!!! With my tires aired down in 2WD(BWM) I was traveling on the beach in the soft sand no problem. Put it in 4x4 just to ease my mind in certain areas and was amazed at it climbing dunes easily. This lifted F250 was struggling getting up a hill, he definitely had open differentials because I just went up it no problem with light throttle around 2200 rpm. Thanks for the write up. This was the best money I have ever spent on this truck performance wise. You barely hear it ratcheting as well. It does clunk once in a while but I have been told it goes away after driving it some. I have less than 100 miles on it. My setup is a 2.25/1.75 lift with 32" BF Goodrich K/O all terrains.

Love my Spartan Locker

After reading this I installed one in mine. I already had 4.10 gears. Like you said I hardly notice it. If the windows are up and the musc on low you can't hear the ratcheting. I personally like hearing it as It reminds me the it's working. Coupled it with 285 75 16 Mudstars and 2 1/2" lift front and rear and this thing is unstopable...........almost. Doest anyone know of a commercially made snorkel the can be retrofitted to work on an Ex? I've seen some on Jeeps that look like they should be able to be modified to work on an Ex.

Spartan Mail-In-Rebate

Still considering what differential to put in the rear end on my 03 Eddie but i noticed this rebate on the spartan website.

$30 off the Spartan locker purchased between March 2, 2015 and June 5, 2015 (and some discounts for other products too).

Yukon Gear Spring Rebate Program

You can purchase the locker anywhere, so long as you can provide a receipt, dated between 3/2/15 and 6/5/15, to Yukon by 7/1/15 with the full part number listed on the receipt.

Hope this helps someone considering the purchase.

I must do this mod!
Does anyone who has done this have the part number?
I ask since on the USA Standard Gear website, it's not listed for our year Explorers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I must do this mod!
Does anyone who has done this have the part number?
I ask since on the USA Standard Gear website, it's not listed for our year Explorers.

It won't be listed for our year explorers since it wasn't SPECIFICALLY designed for them, but it still works perfectly. Just look for the one for the 8.8 31 spline axle.

Back