Spartan Locker | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spartan Locker

Can the locker be installed without taking the differential down off the truck?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ronin, thanks for the prompt feedback!
I'll be ordering this shortly!

Silly question time...

How can I tell if I have LSD?

That one is wide open for puns and jokes but I don't want to start a hijack!

Look at the axle code tag in your driver's side door jamb. Sometimes the differential will have a tag on it that will tell you, but the door jamb method is easiest in my opinion:

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/axle_codes.shtml

Just throwing it out there, I've got a new in box spartan locker that I'm looking to sell. Got one interested party right now but if he passes, it's up for grabs.

I'll check my door sticker tomorrow!

Thanks for the link!

Axle code 45.

3.55 open carrier according to the charts!

Hey all,
I'm very new to this forum and I just wanted to know what locker I should use on my '98 2x4 Ford Ranger.

axles won't clip in

I'm installing our Spartan locker and can't get the axles to clip in the rear. What am I doing wrong? I have everything together except the wheels on and oil in the rear.

I'm installing our Spartan locker and can't get the axles to clip in the rear. What am I doing wrong? I have everything together except the wheels on and oil in the rear.

You really gotta give those axles a good shove for them to lock. Put some diff oil on the circlips and see if that helps.

Must be my problem because I didn't take the axles out of the wheel bearing ? spindle because I didn't have a socket to fit the nut. Guess a trip to harbor freight is in the works to pick up this: http://www.harborfreight.com/7-piece-1-2-half-inch-drive-front-wheel-drive-axle-lock-nut-socket-set-66988.html

I'm also going to pick up a new axle for the drivers side since I put a whole in 1 of the cv joint boots. I tried to use a small board to smack the edge to the joint socket hoping to get the axle clip to snap in.

Oh you must be putting it in a solid axle rear. I was thinking you were working on an explorer with IRS

Must be my problem because I didn't take the axles out of the wheel bearing ? spindle because I didn't have a socket to fit the nut. Guess a trip to harbor freight is in the works to pick up this: http://www.harborfreight.com/7-piece-1-2-half-inch-drive-front-wheel-drive-axle-lock-nut-socket-set-66988.html

I'm also going to pick up a new axle for the drivers side since I put a whole in 1 of the cv joint boots. I tried to use a small board to smack the edge to the joint socket hoping to get the axle clip to snap in.

Putting it in a 2002 with irs. I'm a back yard mechanic that will find shortcuts to attempt to save some time & work. That didn't work this time.

Putting it in a 2002 with irs. I'm a back yard mechanic that will find shortcuts to attempt to save some time & work. That didn't work this time.

yeah, I don't see anyway to shortcut the install on the IRS diff. Gotta press the hubs off the rear axles, pull the axles out of the diff, and shove em back in. Then you can reassemble the hubs.

yeah, I don't see anyway to shortcut the install on the IRS diff. Gotta press the hubs off the rear axles, pull the axles out of the diff, and shove em back in. Then you can reassemble the hubs.

I would of had this done without pressing the axles out of the hubs. You just have to remove the hub / spindle assembly from both upper and lower control arms. Unfortunately, the axles wouldn't clip in the rear.

I pulled everything back apart tonight. The problem is the side couplers for the axles aren't machined to allow the axle circlips to clear the end of the side couplers to expand. The axles are hitting the cross pin. I'll have to machine the side couplers to allow the axle circlips to clear the end to expands. From what I can measure, I need about .110 machined depth around the hole for the axle.

Everyone else must have gotten lucky or mine isn't machined as it should have been.

That's odd. You'd be the first to have that problem. Dumb question maybe, but you didn't install the locker with the original side gear thrust washers did you?

I would of had this done without pressing the axles out of the hubs. You just have to remove the hub / spindle assembly from both upper and lower control arms. Unfortunately, the axles wouldn't clip in the rear.

I pulled everything back apart tonight. The problem is the side couplers for the axles aren't machined to allow the axle circlips to clear the end of the side couplers to expand. The axles are hitting the cross pin. I'll have to machine the side couplers to allow the axle circlips to clear the end to expands. From what I can measure, I need about .110 machined depth around the hole for the axle.

Everyone else must have gotten lucky or mine isn't machined as it should have been.

I didn't use the thrust washers.

Did everyone else check to see if their axles clipped in?

I didn't use the thrust washers.

Did everyone else check to see if their axles clipped in?

Can't say. I would think that they did, but maybe someone else who did it can chime in. You might also try sending a PM to Kazer or rangermidtn.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Had to modify the side couplers to get the circlips to hold the axles in. I test fitted tonight and everything seems to work now. As long as the weather co-operates tomorrow evening, I should be able to have everything re-installed in the wife's ex.

Here is the side coupler before modification
20150331_122403_zpswwyoxgrt.jpg

Here is after modification
20150331_202731_zpsubigsjqg.jpg

Back