Spas got BULLITTS >:D | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spas got BULLITTS >:D

Hey, gang! Bet you were expecting to see pics of my new 2001 GT grey spoke Bullitts, huh? No dice just yet, but since you're already here, maybe you can help me answer a few questions :D

I won them off of a 2001 Gt Mustang on ebay for a ridiculously low price (They're used, but I won't tell you how much I paid because there might be a few jealous 'bullitts' launched at my head, lol) They're 17x8 and I need to hunt down some sporty tires for them. It'll be three weeks before I can post pics for everybody to see, and for that I'm sorry, but it gives me a few weeks to get everything together to get them on the truck. On to the HELP ME PLEASE section:

1) Am I gonna need spacers? My truck's only dropped an inch up front

2) Is this going to mess up my speedo?

3) I need to get stick on wheel weights, and put them inSIDE the rims to keep it clean looking, right?
This one's probably the most important:

4) What tires should I get? I need good snow, water, and mud traction, with sporty handling. I also want to keep the overall TIRE size as close to the 255/70 that I have now..by that I mean that I want a good bit of sidewall (I hate the idea of low profile tires on my ride with all that wheelwell space) Michelin? Pirelli? What???

5) Any stress on steering, suspension, or other components that I should be worried about?

6) How much do you think book value is on my premium factory rims with goodyear ATS's (that still have 80% of their tread left)? They're in pretty decent shape for 4 year old rims...

Thanks guys, you all are priceless when it comes to helping out fellow Explorians!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wow spas those look great ...geez that is one sweet looking truck

Chris

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

what was wrong with the original center caps?

Dead Link Removed

some explorer caps but not sure if they fit the bullits

mustang, those will fit stock wheels.... but will not fit on spas new rims

Nothing was wrong with the caps...I just don't want an actual Mustang symbol on them! Having the 'gt' is one thing...but not the pony too! lol
The wheels are really growing on me--I'm glad the grey spokes match up with my stripes so well :cool:

Thanks for the compliments!

Awesome ride spas:eek:. What tire size did you end up going with? Any rubbing?

they look great. and you said what i was thinking. the gray rims match the gray stripes

For great temporary centercaps you might be able to do what I did for my old honda. Go to liquor store. Buy six pack of Coors light. Drink all 6. Cut ass end off cans and see if they fit. No glue or bolts, Light weight, never rust, never paint, fun to replace. Only the skinny coors cans worked so you'll need to do many experiments to figure out what brand is best for the X.

Only the shop guys ever knew they were beer cans.

Or you could just take the centers that came with the rims and have a paint shop paint them solid black. You could also just buy some spray paint and paint them yourself. They would look great solid black.

Originally posted by M.Scott
Go to liquor store. Buy six pack of Coors light. Drink all 6. Cut ass end off cans and see if they fit.... fun to replace...

Lol.

how long did it take you to figure out which cans worked the best:D

how often did you REPLACE them?;)

uhm. Thanks for the beer can idea...I think...I would've painted the center caps, but I already sold them to Willie :rolleyes:

I went with the 285/60/17 on the simple principle that that was all Goodyear had available and I desperately wanted them in time for the Carlisle show...I should've just waited and got 275/50's, because they DO rub on the...uhh..(have to ask Jeff what that thing is again) ..it's part of the brakes...and the inside of the wheel well, against the sway bar ends. I'm trying to find some 3/16th" spacers, but so far no luck :p

I think I'm going to go grab some SVT caps for now and work on getting Gt caps made :)

What is the offset of the wheel.. my 2wd doesn't rub at all with 285/60/17 offset of my wheel is 0??

I really don't know the offset offhand (lol). All I know is that it rubs the sway bars at full lock and that I can't even fit a fingernail between the tire and the rubber thing...AAAAAAAAH I hate when I can't remember the name of a part! I think it's a ball joint on top of the spindle...

Here's my painted calipers, BTW ;)

Attachments

• 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 813

Oh, funny side note...My gauges have been off by a few miles an hour ever since I changed them: Now they're dead on ;)

I've also noticed a change for the better in cornering and overall accleration. Also, the engine doesn't seem to be working so hard anymore (the power steering seems to be having a little more difficulty though). It used to be that I'd be pushing 3000 rpms at 80 miles an hour, now it's more like 2600 :D

Your acceleration should be worse now than with stock tire/wheels because you are now like 1" or something bigger than stock. I know mine was worse until I got my cat-back and KKM...now it is back to what it was as stock.

Maybe it's because I had big, blocky off road tires on it before.....I'll have to head down to the Cecil County dragway and get myself clocked again to see if there's any officially noticable difference, but it really does feel much smoother on 0-60 blasts. Steering is heavier though: by that I mean it takes more of an effort to turn the steering wheel...

Well, finally got around to taking a pic of what's rubbing instead of trying to guess its name ;)

The part that I circled has less than a fingernail's width of space between it and the tire. I worry about it because the friction from being in motion has already worn the side that faces the tire all smooth and black :eek:

The other arrow shows where the tire's been rubbing on the sway bar....

Suggestions?

Attachments

• rubbing copy.jpg
    rubbing copy.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 753

The problem is that those rims were designed for a Mustang so they have too much backspace for the Explorer. I have heard of people having problems when running all the different Mustang 17X8 rims. That looks awefull close so you need to do something quick in fear of rubbing causing a blowout. You have 3 choices: 1) Use spacers 2) Try a narrower tire 3) Change rims. Since I doubt you will choose either of the last 2 choices, looks like spacers are in your near future. Be careful!

What would the best spacers be? How much $$? btw....looks good w/the bullitts!

Back