Spas got BULLITTS >:D | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spas got BULLITTS >:D

Hey, gang! Bet you were expecting to see pics of my new 2001 GT grey spoke Bullitts, huh? No dice just yet, but since you're already here, maybe you can help me answer a few questions :D

I won them off of a 2001 Gt Mustang on ebay for a ridiculously low price (They're used, but I won't tell you how much I paid because there might be a few jealous 'bullitts' launched at my head, lol) They're 17x8 and I need to hunt down some sporty tires for them. It'll be three weeks before I can post pics for everybody to see, and for that I'm sorry, but it gives me a few weeks to get everything together to get them on the truck. On to the HELP ME PLEASE section:

1) Am I gonna need spacers? My truck's only dropped an inch up front

2) Is this going to mess up my speedo?

3) I need to get stick on wheel weights, and put them inSIDE the rims to keep it clean looking, right?
This one's probably the most important:

4) What tires should I get? I need good snow, water, and mud traction, with sporty handling. I also want to keep the overall TIRE size as close to the 255/70 that I have now..by that I mean that I want a good bit of sidewall (I hate the idea of low profile tires on my ride with all that wheelwell space) Michelin? Pirelli? What???

5) Any stress on steering, suspension, or other components that I should be worried about?

6) How much do you think book value is on my premium factory rims with goodyear ATS's (that still have 80% of their tread left)? They're in pretty decent shape for 4 year old rims...

Thanks guys, you all are priceless when it comes to helping out fellow Explorians!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how did you get the center caps to fit because i tried some last night and the didn't fit because of my axle cap and im two wheel drive

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I assume you bought the SVT caps?

They have a snap ring that holds them in place...you usually have to apply quite a bit of pressure to get them to pop into place, but they're pretty resiliant- Just give them a swift whack with the butt of a hammer (wrapped in a cloth towel to prevent scratches). Works for me!

(Man, re-reading this thread made me realize how many of Jack's projects got put on hold since I bought Tank :rolleyes: lol)

Not that I can afford to do this anytime soon, but I wanted to let you guys know:

I want to replace my blah 17x8 Bullitts with 'Anthracite grey' 18x9 fronts and 18x10 rears sometime in the next year :D (Call it overkill, but someday I *WILL* have my V8 and I'd like the extra traction from wider tires :p )

Spotted the 'deep dish' Bullitts at a car show a few months ago and after seeing 18's on Todd's v8 beast this past weekend, I'm in LOVE, lol. I'd like to go 255/55/18 up front, but I may have to choose a lower profile because Jack is lowered almost 2". Any suggestions for a rear tire size that would match the front's overall height? I know that because of Awd/4x4 and LS that the tire diameter has to stay the same :rolleyes: Anyone know if I'm gonna have to reroute the E-brake line to clear the 10"ers in the back?

(Oh, and btw, my 2nd tire set on the 17" rims [255/60/17 Dunlops] are wearing as well as can be expected and I no longer have any rubbing issues on either the sway bar or the upper ball joints. I don't recommend them however- they suck in the snow/ice and they're none too great in the rain, either! Want me sum Proxes... :drool drool drool: )

mna i want some of these wheels! but i think it would rub with some 265/70R17 MTs wihtout spacers? wouldent it.

Look at what I've started :p I think that combo would look kick ass on your truck. The dished in look in the rear is going to be awsome. Those 17s do look a little small. ;)

i found some wheels at for 600 brand new. but i want some 31-32" beefy lookin tires on them tho. not those streeter ones..lol just wonderin if i should get black then have them painted to match. or just get chrome.

I'd love to see a pic of the new 255 tire width on those rims. Also pics of the additional clearance on the front would be appreciated too!

-Brad

ChuckyD said:
Thats about what the tires will look like.

thats my friend jeffs lightning. one of the reasons i bought mine.

Bullitt rims look great. I didn't have a chance to read through all the post, would anyone know if they would fit a 2004 XLT?

mustangman said:
Bullitt rims look great. I didn't have a chance to read through all the post, would anyone know if they would fit a 2004 XLT?

Yes they will. Hey, Lindsy may even sell you her's ;)

Cool I've got a friend from the Bullitt Club who has a set, and lives 30 min. from me. I may have to give him a call now to see if he'll seperate the tires from the rims. Wow a Bullitt Mustang and now I can have a Bullitt XLT, if it was only DHG. :D

Grrrr.... Can anyone suggest an online tire wholesaler that offers good prices on performance tires??? Nitto Nt404's are preffered, but I can't find anywhere that'll sell them for less than robbery :eek: Can't find BFg G-force tires in 285/50r18 either but they make them in 255/55r18 (Got new bullitts on order, btw-18x9 front and 18x10 rear ;)). The only brand I can find that's not unGodly expensive are Toyo Proxes. While they are good tires, the Nitto's and Bfg's are better suited for extreme traction. Help??

255/55 BFGs are rather cheap on tire rack.

IAmTodd said:
255/55 BFGs are rather cheap on tire rack.

Yeah I know!! But I can't find any matching 285/50's anywhere or else I'd have nabbed them already :p Does Bfg even make G-force's in that size?

Try checking the BF Goodrich website. They list all the available tire sizes there....

Why can't you just go with 9" wide all around? You're going to end up screwing with the 4WD.

...and to add to that you're going to have to do something about your e-brake cable, and god forbid if it were to ever flex.

IAmTodd said:
Why can't you just go with 9" wide all around? You're going to end up screwing with the 4WD.

As long as the diameter of the tires matches up, you can mix and match sizes without a problem. The ABS system can handle a slight mismatch so that worn vs. new tires don't cause problems...

Back