Spdrcer34 is going V8!.... | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spdrcer34 is going V8!....

Nice, I like the oil cooler and ATF lines, I prefer those NPT ends. I'm still on the fence between rubber ATF lines and the full SS lines.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

any fear of rocks hitting your oil filter? simple plastic guard ?

Very strange but the L&L mounts fit my 97.5 block without a notch.... something is fishy I need to go look at the mount!! I hope its not smashed against the L&L mount, I cannot imagine I would have left it this way!! hahaha

nice work so far, lets see pics of the IAC rotated, wat do you do for the throttle and cruise cables if you rotate it?

Nice. I like your oil filter placement. I'm gonna have to chuck my dual filter mount and go with a single I think. Too hard to place the dual.

So just tmh's then a vroom? Have you ran it yet?

Jaime. You wouldn't have been able to bolt up the mounts if you had that boss.

Jamie...Yeah, it would have been impossible to mount the Drivers Side without the notch.

The Build Date on my motor is 9/3/96, its stamped on the Valve Cover '9396'. Which coincides with the build date of the Explorer of October...something....

But it IS a GT40P motor... Original Heads. Original Block. Original EVERYTHING. I think I posted up somewhere that is quite possibly the earliest known GT40P motor.

The TMH's are installed!!!...I need to get a couple little pieces...like powersteering Pressure Hose...Exhaust Pipe to Catalytic Convertor Gaskets. I think there are 3 total that I need to get.

Finally I have to mount the Radiator. I don't honestly know what I'm going to do here....there are a few options I have. Like many who have come before me, I don't want to cut the Explorer up....MORE than I have.....LOL

I much prefer the NPT equipped coolers over the slip-fit. My old car was plumbed in all Aeroquip AN hose. So I have a few parts left over. Eventually I am going to redo all my Fuel plumbing in -8/-6. But I am just trying to get it started before I modify too much....

With my Oil Filter there, it is protected by the frame and bumper. When I get everything bolted back on I will take a better look at the location and maybe I'll have to install some type of shield. Maybe some simple type of Rubber Shield to deflect rocks down and away from the filter. body...

Here is the pic of the flipped Throttle Body.

Ryan

Attachments

• TBFlipped.jpg
    TBFlipped.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 910

That TB sideways gives you more hood clearance. Can you mount a Mustang TB and a spacer with cable bracket on it? Or did you already find a good solution?

Don...

The throttlebody IS mounted upside down in that pic....LOL

Ryan

I thought sideways, but then what throttle bracket works with it?

The OEM throttle bracket works. And it is flipped and attached, closest to the oil fill tube.

Ryan

Excellent, I really like the OEM integration. Take advantage of the best stock parts.

Yesterday I got the Power Steering hose from the parts store. I used the factory style for 1992, and did a simple 90º bend perpendicular to the twists that were in it. Worked PERFECTLY, and I didn't crimp or crush any of it. I had to stop at ANOTHER parts store for the 3 Exhaust gaskets that are needed. 1 in stock. The other 2 will be there when I get off work tomorrow.

Okay...so I called into work today...My next day off wouldn't have been until next Saturday...and my last day off was Thursday...8 days straight and I'm >< this close to getting it started...I DON'T THINK SO...that is what 'sick time' and vacation are for...LOL

So I stayed home, installed the power steering hose, topped off the reservoir, spun it by hand, turned the wheels back and forth bled the system as much as I could.

I finished up a couple small things, like install new bolts in the starter, install a new fuel filter, etc. I turned the car off and on 10 times to fill up the filter, and bleed all the air in the fuel lines. Now I know the fuel rail has fuel to it. And I know the fuel pump circuit works. Onto the starter. I crank the motor over with no plugs in it just to test the starter circuit. All is good. Now it was time to install the plugs. Got the plugs in. Got the wires hooked up....cranked it over....

YES IT RUNS!

I was SOOO EXCITED...it was unreal. It went EXACTLY as planned. I made it a total plug and play!

Awesome!

Now I need to find a decent upper radiator hose. The 4.0L one was one there in the video and it is not a good option for the radiator mounted lower and farther away from the engine. The lower one is a 2 piece unit fabbed from using the original short hose to the Oil cooler assembly and the original 4.0L one.

Ryan

The seats are in the garage. I took them out so I wouldn't get grease on them while working on the Explorer! They are Limited seats and I wasn't too thrilled the first time I got grease on the fabric insert and had to scrub it to get it off..

Ryan

The seats are in the garage. I took them out so I wouldn't get grease on them while working on the Explorer! They are Limited seats and I wasn't too thrilled the first time I got grease on the fabric insert and had to scrub it to get it off..

Ryan

Yeah I wouldn't want to get them all greasy either.

Very good, it's much easier to work on when it runs. Clean up some, and add more parts. Good work.

I was in chat talking to a couple guys and they were asking about the lights on dash.

One light is the Check Engine light. I don't have any of the O2 Sensors hooked up. That should be my ONLY issue.

One light is the ABS light. My Explorer is a `92. So I need to find spindles from a 95-97 Ranger with ABS, and install my Cobra Brakes that way...there are entire write-ups on keeping ABS and installing Cobra Brakes using a Bolt-on Bracket, very similar to what I did with my Spindles.

Another Light is the AirBag Light. This one puzzled me a little. As some of you know, I am installing AirBags into a my `92 Explorer. The weight of the vehicle is the same, the crumple zones are virtually identicle and the position of the steering wheel is identicle as the `97. So I don't want any more 'lectures' about how unsafe it is....the Early Explorers weren't designed to have air bags...blah,blah,blah

On to the airbag lamp....I knew I didn't have the ground in the Passenger Footwell hooked up, so I thought the lamp was jsut because the AirBag module wasn't grounded. I tightened the ground. And I still got the same flashing AirBag light.

The horn didn't work either. And neither did the Cruise Control buttons.

So I took apart the steering wheel to find the clockspring wires were broken!

The last light is my Brake Light. There is 0 brake fluid in the Master Cylinder. I have to take it off and bench bleed it with a socket and a clamp....old school style!!

I will try to take it to the exhaust shop next weekend and have the Drivers Side down tube re-worked exactly like 410Fortune's.

So this week I have to locate a clockspring, hook-up and bleed my brakes, find some rear disc's, and replace the parking brake shoes..Then it will be ready for a test drive.

Ryan

Awesome, congrats!

It went EXACTLY as planned.
It's rare when that happens with a project like this, good job!

The horn didn't work either. And neither did the Cruise Control buttons.

So I took apart the steering wheel to find the clockspring wires were broken!

if only it were always this easy...

The seats aren't in. I checked my Ford CD and the seat belt switch/sensor isn't even in the loop for the AirBags

Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back