Spdrcer34 is going V8!.... | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spdrcer34 is going V8!....

Oh, yeah...I know that. The Clockspring is broken clean through....so it thinks there is no bag...

Ryan

Attachments

• DSC05906.JPG
    DSC05906.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 1,897

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have a V8.

We can no longer be friends.

Lol, congrats dude. Glad to know you made it to the dark side.

Dude!! Congrats!!!!

I know the feeling and its awesome!! Get that exhaust done so you can start enjoying it :)
Its been a long time since I started my V8 conversion for the first time but I can tell you I smile just as big every time I drive her

I have a little more searching to do, to get the perfect upper radiator hose set-up...

And a fan.

Ryan

I ordered my rotors today. They should be here this week...

Ryan

Good, bring it over to Naches next weekend Oct 9-10-11 :thumbsup::D

I don't know if it will be roadworthy by then. I have to find a new Steering Shaft. As the Ragjoint in the `92 is going to interfere with the TorqueMonster Headers. Luckily I have found a Ford Part that has the right upper end to bolt up my modified engine bay (read: `97 stub sticking through firewall) It is from a 97 Ranger. They still used the same Power Steering Box, but had the updated interior so the stub sticking through the wall is the same as the one I have from the `97 Explorer...

Ryan

Here is a pic of the part that I am after....I gotta go to the wrecking yard an pull one

I need part A in this pic

Ryan

Attachments

• sb2.jpg
    sb2.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 809

Sweet action!

I bought Parking Brake shoes last week, but I needed to wait until I recieved the new Rotors. So tomorrow I am installing everything. I am pulling the axles to get to the brake shoes a little easier.

So I stopped by the Ford Dealer and NAPA on the way home. I bought the Friction Modifier from Ford, and I got 3qts of 75w140 and a new Gasket from NAPA....that 75W140 is NOT cheap...

I also need to get a couple parts from the wrecking yard...

We'll see how far I can get this weekend..

Ryan

I got a new Clockspring....Airbag Error went away. My 1997 SRS Airbags are 100% operational in a 1992...

I also got a "new" Intermediate Steering shaft from a `97 Ranger. The Telescoping Upper shaft is ALMOST the same. I had to spend 30 seconds with a cutoff wheel widening the slot to match the Explorer shaft. And the bottom half isn't the EXACT same. I had to take the cast iron end that attaches to the steering box itself, off of the Explorer shaft, and bolt it to the bottom of the Ranger shaft.

Other than cutting the rivets off, and mixing the parts a little...it was a bolt on.

I ALSO got the Rear End done. I pulled the cover off, only to have less than a quart of fluid come out....I noticed it had been leaking at some point. I pulled the axles to replace the Parking Brake Shoes. While my wife and I were working on getting the brakes finished up, the cross shaft was still out of the rear-end and I moved one of the axles. The spider gears had fallen out! So I spent the next 2 hours trying to get them back inside the rear end.

I finally got them in when I pulled the axles out a little, and pulled the 'S' spring out. I was really hesitant to pull the 'S' spring but once I pulled it out, the spider gears rolled into place. Had I pulled the 'S' spring earlier, I could have saved about 1:45!

Tomorrow I will bleed the brakes...

Ryan

IT MOVES!

I drove it today, under it's own power!

It's the first time in over a year that it has been able to do that!

I drove it around the block a couple times. Drove back and it was about 2 quarts low on Transmission Fluid...it didn't leak any. It was just low from not being driven since I filled the case and fluid finally traveled through all the gears.

Ryan

Sweet I want pics , or even better a you tube video. Not many people got a v8 in an exploder let alone a second gen interior too.

Ryan

I ordered some trailer wiring adapters last night from Amazon.com

The 95+ Explorers have 3 bulbs/side, while the 1st gens have 2. So I needed to combine the Turn/Brake/Park lamps from 2 bulbs into 1 bulb.

I could have gotten away with buying just one. But I wanted a cleaner install so I bought 2.

41usMQIqsIL._SS500_.jpg

You can see it is fairly simple to install...

Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can't wait to see some burnouts , or at least peel outs.

Back