Spdrcer34 is going V8!.... | Page 20 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spdrcer34 is going V8!....

Have you ever considered the side skirts and and rear bumper body kit for the second gen ? Would look good on there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Half of the side body pieces for a Saleen XP8 just sold on eBay. I got the rear bumper, and he sold the first ever used hood too.

I'd do a wing first, simple and tasteful.

I have a RollPan....so the Saleen Rear Bumper cover won't work.

I have a Wing.....fine tuning the molds.....a couple guys on here have a new wing....doing some tests, checking for structural cracks once installed....

Ryan

Ah, you are also working on a wing. Can you let us know how they fit to the pre-98 hatches if you compare at all? I'm just curious how much difference there is at the corners of the hatch.

The countour in the corner on my `92 hatch is about perfect.

Remember, the First Saleen XP8 was built on a `97....

Ryan

Right, but I bought my first wing from David, the last of his ten. He said the older hatches may need a little work, and I wondered if that was his guess or that he actually test fit them. There may be no difference, I'm just curious. If you can make anything like the XP8 or EE wing people would want them. Then it comes down to price, hopefully owners now are the kind who spend more instead of kids wishing for toys.

I got the XP8 rear bumper out yesterday on the ground. This one has been white and red, beat up a good bit, but it should work. I'll have to trim the OEM bumper pad, and my two rear quarter trim pieces. The bumper cover I plan to leave alone, except to open the ride bottom for a tailpipe like the right side. Apparently they need some foam behind them, and there are screws through the sides under the paint work. It's not a plain bolt on part and paint job. More time and money.

....well today I got a bit of work done on the Explorer....

I replaced the VERY WORN front shocks, with some brand new Bilsteins!...I replaced the rears a few months ago at an EF get together...

Here is the shock I removed....it is the original shock from 1991, when the Explorer was built.

Here is a pic of the new shock in place..

I also replaced the VERY WORN ball joints....3 of them REALLY needed to be replaced..so I just replaced all 4 with some new Moog Problem Solver Ball Joints....

But while I was working on the passenger side, I noticed THIS:

Yep, that is a broken motor mount. 5k miles, and I have a broken L&L motor mount...

I have e-mailed them, but since it a holiday weekend I'm not expecting a response until Tuesday or Wednesday.

Next on the list is a new radiator, tie rod ends, and upgraded sway bars....

But I have to do the Radiator first, as it is interferring with my other upgrade plans..

Ryan

Good job Ryan, keep going through it. How much trouble were those BJ's? That was what made me finally give up on my 93 chassis, the whole suspension was in need. Regards,

They were VERY easy...

I took advantage of the free Tool Rental at Autozone for the Ball Joint Service tool.

I have 2WD, so removing the spindle/knuckle from the I-beams is very simple, and straight forward. I think total, It took about 30 minutes to R&R all 4 balljoints...if I was doing it solo, it would have taken me a little longer. Luckily my wife was there to operate the Impact Gun, while I held the cup/press & C-clamp assembly in place over the new ball joints.

Here is what I'm buying next..

Here are the specs

And if you look at the specs on the Core Size of that fan, it will fit the HHR fan PERFECTLY!!!

Then I can buy these:

Here are the specs

Tie Rod Ends will be replaced at the same time that I do the Sway Bars.

Ryan

Cool, and how big is that rear bar?

The bars are 1-3/8" front, and 7/8" rear.

Ryan

That's good for the front. If you could find a good deal for an EE rear bar, that would be better. You don't want to buy them new now, but sometimes they turn up for $100 or so used. That's a great part which helps handling a ton.

Those are the EE bars.

They are $290+ s&h for just the bars. Which is all I need/want. I have looked at other bars, they are the same price for a 1-1/8" front bar...so why not get the one that is 1/4" larger! I have added a lot of weight to the front of the Explorer with the V8...It needs all the help it can get to keep it level in the turns.

Ryan

Gotcha, I just thought the EE rear bar was bigger than 7/8". I've put two on and I can say they are short and stout.

My 98 Mountaineer handles better than my 99 just due to the urethane front frame bushings and lower stance. My 99 was a work truck for three years, and it's a good bit looser now. It needs the urethane front bushings(for my hard driving), and new rear end links. I've worn out the rubber in those end links, while on my 98 they are not bad with more mileage on them.

Attachments

• EE rear sway bar.JPG
    EE rear sway bar.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 754

Keep us posted on that radiator install, like what it takes to get it mounted. I'm going to update my radiator soon and install an HHR fan while I'm at it. That looks like a very reasonably priced alternative to a factory replacement.

The 91-94 EE bars are 7/8"...the 95+ Rear Bars are 1-1/8"

Well, I ordered the Radiator yesterday from Summit.

I will get the HHR Fan next week....

Ryan

The largest thing I didn't like about my 93 was the handling. It was all stock but just had too much sway in all conditions.

You know that the rears are all the same basically, other than brakes and VSS signal from 98 on. Hopefully that front bar you are getting is much larger than stock. You can upgrade the rear if the truck can make use of it. I've got an Addco 1.5" front bar now for my Mountaineer. I think it will help some more, I cannot yet push it hard. Addco makes very poor hardware often, and this one is no exception. Their frame brackets are not adequate for the large bushings and the bolt heads. I've got new bracket made but haven't yet deburred them and powder coated them. Addco's brackets would eventually end up breaking the bolt heads off, or bending the bolts. The bolt heads cannot set down flush when tight, the sides of the heads touch the bracket when over 1/4" of space is left to tighten down.

Let us know how you like those new parts, I'm sure it will be far better than stock.

New to the 92 ford explorer.....

I just purchased a used 1992 Ford Explorer the other day for a project vehicle and I came here for advise on how to get started.....Ive only been a big box chevy caprice and monte carlo ss type of dude for a long time so im trying something different........I'm really feeling the white explorer on here but I may want to lift higher up in the air.......But I appreciate any help cause I want to start with the motor and just keep going.....no half stepping at all....

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey JR...

Start a new thread in the Modified 1st Gen section, post some pictures of your new ride, and let us know exactly what you want to do with it....What size wheels and tires you want to put on there? 2WD or 4WD?

...You had some B-bodies, and G-bodies before, do you like the Donk look? Or are you after something else?

Ryan

Back