1. for access to Ford Explorer and Ranger owner generated reviews and discussion, tech tips, how to articles, off-road modifications, events, and more! Since 1996 we have been the #1 Ford Explorer resource on the Internet. We also cover the Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Speakers not working

Discussion in 'Explorer Audio & Navigation' started by Trapper14, December 21, 2001.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Trapper14

Trapper14 Active Member

City, State:
      Horseheads, NY
      Year and Model:
      91 xl 2dr
      for some reason all my speakers arne't working tweeters, 2 pairs of pioneers....

when I turn on radio or cd player all I get it a quick sound out of the speakers that sounds like power going to them, but no music coming out. I am hoping my bottle jack didn't hit my factory ampfilfier, but it seems to still be receiving power, any ideas? Thanks

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. mikeymed8

mikeymed8 Active Member

City, State:
      MA
      Year and Model:
      '94 XLT
      Sounds like you have a short in one of your speaker wires. The + and - on any speaker could be touching or one of them is grounded to the chasis. I would disconnect the speakers one by one from the amp and see if your sound returns. Don't get me wrong, it could be something else, but that's my idea.

Good luck,
      Mike

4. Trapper14

Trapper14 Active Member

City, State:
      Horseheads, NY
      Year and Model:
      91 xl 2dr
      at least its a start! well I was wondering I have a 50x4 watt deck could this power my speakers, and would or could I bybass my amplifier|?

5. jebdrup

jebdrup New Member

City, State:
      Plant City, Fl
      Year and Model:
      '92 XL
      Factory Amp

I don't know what sound system came with your X but I have a 92' XL and my did not come with a factory Amp. Your jack is on the drivers’ side and if you have a factory Amp it will be on the passengers side but I don't think you have 1. I could be wrong. Your speaker problem sounds to like a bad ground. I took the factory system out last weekend. I hope this helps.
      :smoke: :mattmoon: :chug: :usa:

6. Kontrol-Trak

Kontrol-Trak Active Member

City, State:
      Los Angeles, CA
      Year and Model:
      95' EB 4X4
      If you have a stock amp, definately bypass it. Even though your deck only puts out about 13watts x 4 RMS, your sound singal will be cleaner.

7. nosaj122081

nosaj122081 Active Member

City, State:
      Fairmont, WV
      Year and Model:
      '97 Sport
      Yeah, I'd definitely bypass it, you could actually be overdriving the amp and causing it to shut down (don't know if the factory amp does, most aftermarketers do)... With the factory amp hooked up, you're just going to start amplifying the noise from the head units amp, and it is gonna sound dirty.

8. Trapper14

Trapper14 Active Member

City, State:
      Horseheads, NY
      Year and Model:
      91 xl 2dr
      |I fixed problem! one wire got insulationg stippred off and was grounded to chassis! problem fixed, but how do I go about bypassing the amp, I believe it is the thing on drivers side by the jack compartment, its looks like a small amplifier....

9. jimbo74

jimbo74 Elite Ranger

City, State:
      Nor*Cal
      Year and Model:
      98 XLT Supercab 4x2
      i had the same problem with my right side speakers.... they were old and the connectors managed to loosen themselves and only come on at startup or potholes/speedbumps....new speakers and no more connectors solved the problem.... the connectors were the problem not the factory speakers but i decided since the door panels were off why not replace the speakers

10. mikeymed8

mikeymed8 Active Member

City, State:
      MA
      Year and Model:
      '94 XLT
      That's what I figured. Sounds good that you fixed it ;)