Speedometer not working problem

Dawara

Reaction score
City, State
Buenos Aires
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT 4x4
This is my first post here !!

May be a common problem , sorry if I didnt found it on the forum.

My speedometer is not working. Just some movements when I am over 90mph.

On the speed sensor (on the transmition ) I got just one connection .(the 2 wire plug )

that is ok ??? there is no speedometer cable ??

Any Ideas ???

Is a ford Explorer 1995 xlt 4x4 ( like the 1996 model )

thanks in advance !!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

pleasee I need help !!

Do you have a check engine light, or any other drivability issues? Does the cruise control work? If you have no other problems, then you must have either a bad wire from the splice to the instrument cluster, or a bad speedo itself. The VSS branches off from the sensor to the ECM, then to a splice to the Cruise servo, and then to another splice by the instrument panel that distributes the signal to several different locations and component.

Is not moving at all. Sometimes abobe 90mph it moves like crazy for a few seconds and stop moving again.

What I would like to know is how many cables or wires cames from the VSS (the speed senson)

THANKS !!!!

It almost sounds like a loose or bad ground, but I wouldn't know where to look.

Check engine light is off and there is not other drivability issues. Cruise control is not working !!

This is a picture of my speed sensor.
Looks like something is missing?

vss1.jpg

You didn't answer my question about any other issues.

The VSS has two wires that I can see. A pink with orange, and a gray with black. The latter is the actual signal wire that is distributed to the vehicle. I believe you'll find it's a white connector.

EDIT: You posted just as I was writing this. That should be your VSS. I think you'll find those wires clean up to the colors I posted. At this point, it's time to determine what, if any, signal is going where. Time to start taking readings. The VSS sends out an AC signal. First place I would check is the instrument cluster.

So no cable is missing there ?

I must check on the instrument cluster if any signal is comming from the VSS ???
Could be a mal functioning VSS ??
The VSS is the only sourse of speed ???

Thank you very much for your help !!

No...no cable on a 95. It's all electronic. The VSS could be bad, but if it were, then you should have other problems too. But I would check it to be sure.

Thanks Cobraguy !
(It is a 95 but like 96 and later model, is the same?) Sorry that I insist.

So, if maybe is not a bad VSS , where I can look for ???

Check for a VSS signal at the cluster, the cruise servo, and any other place it may be, depending on the options on your car. If no signal, then keep tracing back until you either find it, or determine the VSS is bad. If you can get your hands on a known good VSS, just toss it in and see if it fixes it.

Back