Sporadic/hesitating acceleration

shane10

Reaction score
City, State
MW
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS
4WD
Hi all, been experiencing some concerning symptoms recently and having a hard time tracking them down.
The truck starts fine, idles smoothly from cold start, and drives generally well from cold start. Once at operating temperature, I get a severe hesitation in acceleration. Usually around 2000 RPMs, I seem to lose any response in throttle, as if the engine isn't getting gas/power. After a few seconds of holding on the accelerator, the RPMs suddenly increase and the car launches forward at seemingly full throttle. I have experienced the same exact symptom before, caused by an exhaust leak upstream from an O2 sensor, giving it an inaccurate reading and causing the engine to run too rich.
Once at operating temperature, the truck idles a bit rough, and only once has the RPM gauge bounced up and down.
I have replaced plugs, wires, and coil pack after an astonishing 188k miles.
PCV pipe was full of sludge and replaced.
No apparent vacuum leaks, no apparent exhaust leaks. Throttle body is clean.
I'm unable to go over 30MPH where I'm located, so not sure how it drives at highway speeds, and unfortunately have no access to a mechanic or scan tool. I'm thinking TPS or O2 sensor as possible culprits?
Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

2002 explorer XLS 4.0

Back