Sport 2 door to 4 door conversion | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sport 2 door to 4 door conversion

How much longer is the front door of the 4dr model, versus the 2dr? How much distance is there from the existing latch, back to the rear wheel well? Those two dimensions are about the most you could make a door fit there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How much longer is the front door of the 4dr model, versus the 2dr? How much distance is there from the existing latch, back to the rear wheel well? Those two dimensions are about the most you could make a door fit there.

Agreed, what I may do is use a section from a four and plug it in and build the door from the frame instead of trying to build the frame around the door. I'm trying to plug it all into cad and see how it all will come together.

Joe, I'm not being critical when I ask this, just curious, but I'm not clear on how you will be improving rear seat access by adding a shorter length door to a 2 door. All I have is 4 door Gen1's so I can't visualize it. In doing so are you intending to avoid having to move the front seat to allow someone to enter the back?

Joe, I'm not being critical when I ask this, just curious, but I'm not clear on how you will be improving rear seat access by adding a shorter length door to a 2 door. All I have is 4 door Gen1's so I can't visualize it. In doing so are you intending to avoid having to move the front seat to allow someone to enter the back?[/QUOTE

So it will be in addition to, same as FJs, Tacoma ex.cab.

It's a good thing that Chip Foose and Ed Roth didn't listen to critics like these guys. Some of the coolest modified cars ever would have been quashed. As you said, the new FJ'S and Saturn's have them as well as the Ram 1500 I used to drive. Your idea could be pretty cool.
I have no idea what your skill level is but just be smart about it and be ready for a ton of hours. As in most custom car mods, you may never get the dollar and hours value back out of it but if it's for you and you are passionate about it then don't be discouraged and rock on!

It's a good thing that Chip Foose and Ed Roth didn't listen to critics like these guys.

Those guys don't do collision repair they do custom show cars. Apples and oranges. I appreciate the effort though.

You are absolutely correct. His door mod is almost as close to custom car show work and as far from remove a nd replace as possible. I'm glad you agree and appreciate my efforts. I'm pretty proud of them too.
Anyway, we can battle if you want but I think we all come here for encouragement and inspiration so I'd rather stick to that. :)
Have a great week.

If you really want a four door, BUY one.

Just came across this thread, and I was wondering, did anything come of the project? I'm really interested on whether or not it worked

hey guys look at a later super cab ford superduty I like the idea I think if ford would have done that they would still be building two door sports.
roscoe

Just came across this thread, and I was wondering, did anything come of the project? I'm really interested on whether or not it worked

No, unfortunately I was rear-ended. I had considered repairing it and moving forward but the fame is bent. So I'm just going to part it out instead.

you would probably need to go with something like the newer f150s and have the suicide door contain the latches for the front door. I think some of the older rangers with the small door latched like that also. It will be a ton of work. I have a 2 door also and interested to see how it comes out. Above my skill level and patience .

Interior-of-the-2018-Ford-F-150-supercab_o-e1520629079399.jpeg

maxresdefault.jpg

Back