Sqeaking Noises | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sqeaking Noises

C

cathy

My 2001 Sport Trac has recently started squeaking and creaking. This is when I go over small bumps or on any surfaces that are not smooth. It also makes the squeaky noises as I come to a slow stop. It sound like I am in a very old truck and it is annoying and embarressing. Any ideas what this could be and what do I do? Thanks

Its possible that its your sway bar bushings.

Good luck in finding a solution.

Mine was doing that when the upper ball joints were beginning to go. You can investigate by bounciing the front end until you hear the sounds, then squirt WD-40 on one sway bar bushing. Repeat the bounce and if the sound is still there, soak the other bushing. If the sound is STILL there, you have eliminated bushings as the issue, check the upper and lower ball joints for wear.

My truck was squeaking for a while. It sounded like from the bushings but it was the passenger side upper ball joint.
I just separate the ball joint half from the upper control arm and pulled back the ball joint boot to regrease it.
Since there was no play on the joint itself, just dried out. I didn't feel like changing it at the time. It worked ok so far.

Back