Squeek / rattle in the back.

Linux3

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
My 2016 Sport w/o power tailgate.
I had a sound like a seatbelt buckle rattling in the back.
I removed all the "stuff" I had loaded and it was still there. Opened and closed the 3rd row seats, still there.
I checked all the seat belts and buckles, no joy.
I was ready to return to the dealer but how often do we hear that they can't reproduce the rattle?
Spare tire tools? They all looked snug but I beat on the spare and heard the sound. Oh joy, I can reproduce it for the dealer.
Pull the spare and the jack yada yada, everything looked tight.
Put it all back and hit the tire, rattle! sigh.

I will not hold you in suspense. I found the problem. The inner plastic panel on the tailgate had come loose on one end and would vibrate. Pound it back in and all is well and quiet.

I do think the sensor that checks to see if the tailgate is closed needs adjustment because just closing it will often not satisfy the sensor. I have to slam it and I think maybe that's why the panel popped out.
Off to the dealer anyway but now I can wait till the first oil change.

I have a very annoying rattle that I though was seat belt hitting the plastics, turned out to be the rear pass head resr is very loose. I need to pull the cover off the back seat to fix it. worth a check

I get a strange rythmic "click" on the left side whenever my rear climate is on (most of the time here in the summer) and every few seconds a "click" but not really sure where it is and I DO NOT want to have the headliner removed and will live with it. With music up, you can't hear it.. I had to point it out to my wife so it's not very loud apparently :p

Back