Stadx2's 98 Limited Lift Pics | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stadx2's 98 Limited Lift Pics

Yes, Yes, Yes I know this took forever, but here they are.

This is a list of my mods Iv'e done so far:
Suspension;
-Front; 4 inch Superlift (for a Ranger) +1 inch Torsion twist
-Rear; 5.5 inch Superlift (for 91-94 Explorers) Spring-over-axle Conversion
-2 inch Performance Accessories Body Lift w/98 Ranger bumper brackets
-Eagle 589 15x10 alloy wheels
-33x12.50 Goodyear Wrangler MT-R
-Rancho RS-9000 Shocks

Engine;
-Perma-Cool Electric Radiator Fan w/ adjustable T-stat
-KKM air intake

Audio/Video;
-Classified-

Here's a before pic.
site1_t.JPG

Here are some afters........
graphic_pub.jpg

site1018_t.JPG

site1019_t.JPG

site1020_t.JPG

Here's my Explorer hauling my WR to the mountains.
site1021_t.JPG

I installed a DVD player in the center counsel using a Toshiba home player.
This comes in handy on long trips.
site1022_t.JPG

site1023_t.JPG

site1024_t.JPG

site1025_t.JPG

site1026_t.JPG

Hope you enjoyed!

Darren
Littleton, CO

-Front 4 inch Superlift(Ranger)+1 inch Torsion Twist
-Rear 5.5 inch Superlift SOA
-2 inch PA body lift
-15x10 Eagle 589s
-33x12.50 Goodyear Wrangler MT-Rs
-KKM Air Intake

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's cool, did you call them or what? Like I said I emailed em' and they told me sorry we don't have one. Then the folks at 4wd warehouse told me that I would have to wait for the upcoming 96-01 kit if I wanted one that was "made" for the x.

It seems to me if these companies want to sell their products they would get it together. Oh well I've got to go TDY for two months so I won't have to sweat it for a while.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Nice MOds

Hey, Love whut u did with your XLT, Would u mind giving me some pointers on how u installed that dvd player and the switches in the console underneath the radio and climate switches. Thanks

Re: Hey Darren

Originally posted by Ray Lobato
That is one nice Truck!
Job Well done. Say are you going to go to Moab this year? It would be nice to get some pictures of some other Lifted 95+ models. :)

Hey Ray,

Sorry for the delay, I've be working in Winter Park for the week. I didn't bring my laptop.
Thanks for the complement!
I would love to go to Moab this year, but unfortunately, I won't be going. I have some friends from Minnesota coming into town that will be overlapping that weekend.
I'll be in San Diego (with my truck) two weeks before Moab, though. Is that close enough? LOL.LOL.
By then I'll have your old t-case in my truck.
Later.

Originally posted by WyoExplorer
I jut got off the phone with 4wd Parts wholesalers in Denver, they complemented your ride. They were very helpful and quoted about 1300 for the front. BUT, they told me I might need a new front drive shaft. Did you have to do this? Did it work without it?

They also said that their superlift rep told them that a kit for the Sport Track is coming and it will fit 96-01. I emailed superlift yesterday and they are being tightlipped about it, they gave me a BS, PR reply so who knows how long that bad boy will take.

Thanks

WyoExplorer,

I did have to have a new front driveshaft built. It was a little spendy, but it dosn't vibrate either. Plus, its also a lot more heavy duty then the stock shaft.

Regarding that Superlift Sport Trac lift. Why don't you ask Superlift if they can tell you what the difference is between their 98-02 Ranger front lift and the Sport Trac front lift.
Wait, don't bother, I can tell you. NOTHING!!!!!
The only reason Superlift is tight lipped about it, is because their hick engineers don't know.
Don't waste your time waiting for the Sport Trac kit.
Any lift made for the Sport Trac, will not bolt directly up to a 95-97 Explorers. Only 98-01 Explorers.

Re: Nice MOds

Originally posted by 99XSport
Hey, Love whut u did with your XLT, Would u mind giving me some pointers on how u installed that dvd player and the switches in the console underneath the radio and climate switches. Thanks

Easy there buddy! This ain't no XLT!

If you take a look back a few pages on this very thead I talk about that very thing.

Texplorer

Do you remember who you spoke to at Superlift? I just got my 33x12.5s on my 95 but there is some rubbing at compression. Did they say what modifications are required? I assume it would be similar to the Ranger lift with cutting required on the back end of the torsion bar mounts?
Rick

question

Does anyone know if the 91-94 explorers shared the same front air dam as a ranger from 90-92 can I get a air dam to fit my X from a ranger 4x4

i'm late on your post, but damn that is a sweet build-up!

wow

that is a sweet explorer!

i like the DVD in the console. nice truck.

think that lift would fit a 2WD'98 XLT and what would it take to modify since you used the ranger lift?? how much did it cost moneywise??

Hey Darren,
Did you get the T-case in yet?

Originally posted by Ray Lobato
Hey Darren,
Did you get the T-case in yet?

No, not yet.

I decided to wait until we got back from our trip to San Diego with the truck.....Just in case I didn't put somthing back together right, I didn't want to break down in the middle of Utah or something.
We are leaving this Saturday, so probably early June I should have this done. Hopefully.....
The Electronics and wiring are all in place and working for the new T-case though.

You truck looks awesome, you really got my brain turning now. I hadn't been able to find anyone that had really done much of a lift to their X besides cranking the torsions. Looks very nice, hopefully someday mine will look the same!:eek:

Darren, Do you happen to know if the 95 Ex is the same as a 98 Ranger??

I live in Lakewood just moved back. Have you ever gone to Gold Camp road southwest of C. Springs? It is sick and Captain Jacks has some killer Mountain biking and Moto.

Late

Thanks for the info.

Travis

No they are not the same.
The 98-01 Explorers are the same as 98-up Rangers.

No I havn't been to Gold Camp. I mainly ride at Rampart Range or St. Mary's Glacier. I'll have to check it out though. Sounds good.

I'm new to the site and came across your post. First I would like to say that your Explorer is awesome. I am thinking about lifting my x and have few quick question about your lift results.
1. Do you think that you could have put 33" tires on your truck without the bodylift?
2. If you could would some body triming be required?
3. How did the Superlift kit affect the handling.
4. What back spacing do you have with the 15x8 wheels?
Thanks, any help would be great.

Hey Jesse,

Yes you can run 33s with no body lift.
Just make sure that you run no more then a 15x8 wheel. I'm not sure of the back spacing, but the point being, is to have as much "inset" as possible. This way, when the wheel turns, it doesn't "swing" as much.
And yes, you will need to do a little tupperware trimming. How much depends on your trim level (Sport, Limited,.....ect.)
With the combination of bigger/wider tires and the increased torsion rate, I find it to handle much better overall.

I started a thread on the superlift 4" kit if any of you have some feedback or are interested in it check out:

Dead Link Removed

Hope you are still checking this. But when you buy the ranger kit can you buy it without the shocks?

Back