Stadx2's 98 Limited Lift Pics | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stadx2's 98 Limited Lift Pics

Yes, Yes, Yes I know this took forever, but here they are.

This is a list of my mods Iv'e done so far:
Suspension;
-Front; 4 inch Superlift (for a Ranger) +1 inch Torsion twist
-Rear; 5.5 inch Superlift (for 91-94 Explorers) Spring-over-axle Conversion
-2 inch Performance Accessories Body Lift w/98 Ranger bumper brackets
-Eagle 589 15x10 alloy wheels
-33x12.50 Goodyear Wrangler MT-R
-Rancho RS-9000 Shocks

Engine;
-Perma-Cool Electric Radiator Fan w/ adjustable T-stat
-KKM air intake

Audio/Video;
-Classified-

Here's a before pic.
site1_t.JPG

Here are some afters........
graphic_pub.jpg

site1018_t.JPG

site1019_t.JPG

site1020_t.JPG

Here's my Explorer hauling my WR to the mountains.
site1021_t.JPG

I installed a DVD player in the center counsel using a Toshiba home player.
This comes in handy on long trips.
site1022_t.JPG

site1023_t.JPG

site1024_t.JPG

site1025_t.JPG

site1026_t.JPG

Hope you enjoyed!

Darren
Littleton, CO

-Front 4 inch Superlift(Ranger)+1 inch Torsion Twist
-Rear 5.5 inch Superlift SOA
-2 inch PA body lift
-15x10 Eagle 589s
-33x12.50 Goodyear Wrangler MT-Rs
-KKM Air Intake

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, the lift comes with the shocks for the front and the rear.
Fortunately, I had good dealings with Four Wheel Parts and they let me upgrade the shocks that came with the kit to Rancho RS 9000s. IMO, a much better shock.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Well that is why I was wondering I am already running RS9000 front and rear. Do you recal which ones you got for the front?

I have Rancho part # 9008s in the front, and 9010s in the back.

Hey Daren, do you have any pic's of the Superlift steering linkage by chance? I have the steering slide from Trailmaster and I'm thinking about trashing it and was wondering how their setup looks compared to mine.

Rancho 9000s

Are the 1998 shock mounts the same as the 95 front and back?

Originally posted by Sherwood
Hey Daren, do you have any pic's of the Superlift steering linkage by chance? I have the steering slide from Trailmaster and I'm thinking about trashing it and was wondering how their setup looks compared to mine.

Here ya go.....

Front view.
site1033.jpg

Driver's side from rear.
site1036.jpg

Driver's side from front.
site1037.jpg

Passenger's side from rear.
site1038.jpg

The only problem with doing what you want to do, is getting the steering knuckles from Superlift. I believe somebody on the board had tried to get some from Superlift and they would not sell them seperately.

Good Luck anyway.

Daren, thanks a lot for taking the time to take pics and letting me know. That helps a lot. Now my only question for anybody with a brain is, why did Trailmaster make things so dang difficult and obviously more expensive? Man, I should have gotten a job with Trailmaster huh?

Part Number SOA

Stadx2,
Could you please specify the part number for the SOA kit. I would like to install the spring over kit on my 97 XLT, and need to know exactly what to look for.

Thank you,
David

You can find it on the superlift website or by calling them the number I got is 1160

Here's The Plan

Thanks for the info.

Here's the plan:

I am running close to a 5" lift right now on a 97 Explorer. Extended torsion bar bolts in the front with maximum crank gave me about 4.5". The rear lift consists of doubled up shackles and add-a-leafs.
I am going to remove the shackles and perform an SOA conversion. Thus, I will have about 7.5" of lift in the rear. The front will be raised to match the back using lift spindles.

Here is my second question:

Will I need longer shocks? What kind and part number? I am already running Explorer Pro Comp ES3000's made for the stock explorer and they have held up fine with the 5" lift. I think that if I order the 3" lifted shocks for Pro Comp's 3" explorer lift, they should accomodate my 7.5" lift plans.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

David

Re: Here's The Plan

Originally posted by drw18
Thanks for the info.

Here's the plan:

I am running close to a 5" lift right now on a 97 Explorer. Extended torsion bar bolts in the front with maximum crank gave me about 4.5". The rear lift consists of doubled up shackles and add-a-leafs.
I am going to remove the shackles and perform an SOA conversion. Thus, I will have about 7.5" of lift in the rear. The front will be raised to match the back using lift spindles.

Will I need longer shocks? What kind and part number? I am already running Explorer Pro Comp ES3000's made for the stock explorer and they have held up fine with the 5" lift. I think that if I order the 3" lifted shocks for Pro Comp's 3" explorer lift, they should accomodate my 7.5" lift plans.

David

First of all, is your Explorer 4WD?

If it is and if you use your Explorer as a daily driver, its generally a bad idea turn your torsion bars up that much. You will significantly decrease the life of your CV joints, and they are not cheap to replace.
Do you need longer shocks? Yes, definately in the rear with an SOA. If you have your torsion bars cranked up as much as you say you do, your front shocks are probably close to being topped out. This is bad senario for a shock to be in. Topping out your shocks will prematurely destroy the valving in the shock. Adding a longer shock to prevent this is even a worse idea. This will allow your suspension to drop further down and allow your CV joints to flex beyond their limit of movement and self-detruct.

Also if you have 4WD, you can not use those lift spindles. They are for 2WDs.

Save yourself the headache and the money and buy a suspension lift. Its the right way to do it.

My X is 2 Wheel Drive. Will it work? I have had no problems so far and I have been running this setup for 2 years. I am thinking I will need at least 3" longer shocks. Where can I find these to complete the 7.5" lift? Lift includes SOA, spindles and 4.5 inches of torsion twist.

Thanks,
David

well with a 2wd, go for the drop spindles. This kit will not work.

Yes... I will be installing the spindles with the super torsion twist for the 7.5 inches of lift upfront.

But what about the back??????

I will be using the superlift 5.5" SOA with add a leafs for the rear, BUT what shocks do I need for this, and what part number?

Thank you very much for any information that can be provided.

if you use the superlift perches at 5.5 the stock ones are long enough. But if you go 2 more inches you will have to find some 2" lifted explorer shocks.

Thanks for the advice.

Does anybody know where I can get extended explorer shocks that will fit a 97 Explorer with 7.5" of lift? A brand and part number would be of much advice.

Re: Here's The Plan

Originally posted by drw18
Thanks for the info.

Here's the plan:

David

Do you have pictures? I'm having trouble believing you have a 4.5" lift from torsion twist. Mine is cranked up all the way and i get about 1.75" lift.

He may have stiffer torsion bars?? Just a thought

stadx2 -
are you still running the stock driveshaft? Have you had any problems with vibration or binding? Have you wheeled it since the install and how many miles are on it since the install? (these last few are only if you are running the factory shaft)

Thanks
Dave

No problems whatsoever. The 4.5 inches of lift from the TT are because i used 100mm long bolts and cranked them to the maximum limit. It does fine offroading. No problems. And about 20,000 miles on this lift.

But I still gotta know exactly what shocks I need before I do the 7.5". I will need both extended front and rear shocks but do not know where to get them. Will the shocks from a 91-94 explorer lift kit work??? Any advice would be great. And yes I can get the pictures.

Back