Stang wheels | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stang wheels

Dude... just ... TOO badass... seriously!

I have a question for you though, with that screen in your grille, how do you open your hood?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you don't reach through the grill to open the hood. when you pull the lever under the dash it lets the hood pop up a little bit than you pull the lever under the hood.

I have a question for you though, with that screen in your grille, how do you open your hood?

SIMPLE- steal a 98+ hood latch from someone elses explorer!!!!

When my dad was away and hs 98 Limited was in the garage I just sold his hood latch set-up. In 98 that when to a different latch stup because some explorers came from the factory with the plastic grill inserts.

I had to drill 2 holes on the underside of my hood and make a backing plate with 2 taped hole. I slide that up inside the hood and boltd the new latch to it. Worked great!!!!

Where did you get that grill insert...i must have one! thanks.

Eric

ps- badass truck man!

Also- HOw much is your ride, out of curiousity and how many miles?

Eric

To tell you the truth i dont remeber where i got my grille...
I think i ordered it direct from Street Scene.... do a search on the net- i dont remember their website off hand.

rims

where can i get a set of cobra r rims for my 96 4 door xtl 4wd i was looking at the 18x9.5 and i was wondering if they would fit

I got my Cobra R's from GEFRacing.com . They are in GA. They have a whole bunch of different wheels to choose from at good prices.

OK, I gotta put some spacers on these. The rim rubs the lower a-arm just like purpony. If I put spacers on will I have to get longer wheel studs? I'll only need about a 3/8" spacer.

The bolt pattern is the same but I have heard of them fitting and not fitting.Frankrizzo says no but I can defy has them mounted. I would get one and go from there. Talk to frankrizzo. I think hes interested in getting rid of the one that he has (if he hasnt already). If it fits then you only have to buy 3. As for tires, I would go with the 275/55. I went with a 255/60 on mine.

Yes they do. The Explorers share the Mustang's 5x4.5 bolt pattern, and they do not rub. I inquired of what tire size I would need to keep my stock wheelspin with 18's and I was told 255/55/18's, but I'm not sure what it would be for the 17's. When/if you buy wheels and tires for your truck, do NOT tell them it's going on an Explorer because most companies won't sell non-stock size tires for them due to the whole damn Firestone thing. Just tell them you're getting them for your Durango or something ghey and they'll leave you alone.

If I understand correctly, the Cobra 17x9s will not rub on a 98 XLT 4x4?

I have a 98 XLT 4X4 and mine rub. The inside of the rim rubs the lower A-arm. But, I'm lowered 2" so that might have something to do with it.

Originally posted by jonny 5
If I understand correctly, the Cobra 17x9s will not rub on a 98 XLT 4x4?
yes, they will. probably not much, and it depends on what size tire you run and if you are lowered or not.

I have a 99 XLT and my 17 inch cobra's rub a little bit. It is only a full turn so it's not really a big deal, i doubt it is hurting anything......and even if it is.....i don't care it looks phat! lol

Back